2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my civic decided to throw a paddy yesterday morning. Was quite cold, so started it up to defrost, all fine and got about a mile down the road all fine, no issues, no misfires, nothing. Doing about 50 on a country lane, sudden throw up of all 4 lights and what i thought was turbo failure but quickly realised it had gone into limp mode.

Pulled over, quick turn it on and off and started fine. Still no apparent issues, just a christmas tree of light. The restart took it out of limp mode and its driving fine, smooth, no noises/smoke etc. I had to abandon it back at home and take the other halfs car to get up to liverpool for a 400 mile round trip (small football game) so only had a chance to look properly tonight.

Ive checked the vitals, all fluids look fine, oil a little crap but it is due a change (gets done every 6 months, 125k and doing 25-30k per year). Struggling to see anything obvious so presuming a sensor or the likes.

Im getting my fault reader back tomorrow from a friend but not sure it will read anything? Had a look at the tin foil cheat but looks like its a mk8 thing?

Anyone had a similar issue or any ideas/advice? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
only way to tell is code reader
but basic obd reader wont read the faults your talking about
im not sure if the foil trick will either

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
no you just need a code reader that reads steering and abs/vsa and such like

disconnecting battery might reset them
but if it was me id rather know what triggered the lights for future reference

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
A battery pull will reset them, but it is better to determine the cause!

Due to the interconnection of systems, the vast majority of issues will also trip the VSA Warning (Which will in turn trigger the TPMS / EPS warnings) - They just seem to christmas tree all at once!

Really, It's impossible to say until you have the codes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brilliant stuff. So, short update. Got in the car this morning and nothing, no lights etc. all fine. 5-6 miles in, accelerating and went limp mode again and full santa is here on the dash. Again, quick on off of the key (at 50mph with no hard shoulder!) limp mode cleared all driving ok. Lights off again.

I did see a historic on this about fuel filter blockages throwing codes? I have got a filter there that i have intended to do but put off (i know i know) so will do it anyway when i get a chance.

Will get the codes....ill be back!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might be worth checking the battery
dare I ask why? It did have a new battery about a month and a half back. Wasnt any issues as such, just stop start didn't have enough juice and was on it's way. You think it could be linked?? Interesting it's all clear for the last 2 days.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Hello Steven
In my experience many warning lights one at once can be voltage related plus you mentioned a cold morning and defrost so heavy loading on the battery. Recently a friends CRV kept on throwing tyre deflation warnings, first he put it down to a new tyre fitted on one axle, replaced the worn one and it still kept on so ended up at a dealer, new battery fitted problem gone, the way the car was driving gave no indication of a battery fault.
Presumably your battery is correct to spec, I agree with Scaramanga and Haltamer, investigate for fault codes.
Regards

James

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Im sure the battery is fine. It is correct spec etc so can only presume if it was due to that then its something thats been in there from when the old battery was failing that was thrown up. Interestingly i still have a clear dashboard so as it stands its fixed itself! Everything has been spot on, stop/start etc where you might think it would show.

Im planning on doing the well overdue fuel filter change as well as an oil and gear box oil change. Ill have a check of the battery connections again as that is the only other thing i can imagine around that. Otherwise it may be a wait and see, or not as the case may hopefully be!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just as a follow up, the car has been fine! I can only put this down to something historic being in the system from when the battery had to be replaced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts