2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just went on a run in spin when I noticed something I hadn't before.

If you rev up to 3000-3500 rmp (and/or keep it steady at that rpm) the engine makes a kind of high pitch sound like a washing machine (please forgive me for this comparison:oops:) when drying the laundry.

It has to be fairly quiet outside on a good road in order to hear it clearly.

Is it normal or very much wrong?

And yes, it is a rather dumb question I guess:)

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Hi,

Isn't that the sound of the vTEC doing its thing? Mine starts around the 4000 rpm mark, but officially its 5500rpm. I quite like the sound and try and keep it around there when driving around in "speedy gonzales" mode.

On the Type R, the high pitched sound is even more pronouced, its sounds much more metallic and is louder.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi,

Isn't that the sound of the vTEC doing its thing? Mine starts around the 4000 rpm mark, but officially its 5500rpm. I quite like the sound and try and keep it around there when driving around in "speedy gonzales" mode.

On the Type R, the high pitched sound is even more pronouced, its sounds much more metallic and is louder.
Hi MisterTee,

It is difficult to put to words. It is not present (or I can't hear it) at 2500 rmp or lower. Usually cars growl harder when revving up and the R seems to go to high pitch mode. I dare not vTEC yet (ony 600 km on the clock)

You know what, It's remotely comparable with the turbo release valve sound on diesel cars. Apart from it being constantly noticable with the type R.
It's probably nothing but it would be nice if someone could confirm.

·
Registered
46 Posts
yes i've noticed it about a week ago, it happens 3000-3800rpm more when the engines warming up. its only just started happening :( took it to the dealer yesterday they said they would look into it but it may just be the 2nd oil pump which would be normal :confused: dont think so cos its only just started. they also going to do brake analysis cos getting loads of brake dust at the back wheels which can't be right cos pads are only thin anyway. also loads of rattles allover the inside of the car and my gearbox is still rubbish. had 3rd and 4th synchros changed for 3rd gear problem but now have problem with 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear changes. garage tech gaffer(who's very helpful) said he felt something when down changing to 2nd, so he got service manager to test drive and he said there's nothing wrong with it, i said i would just ring honda uk cos dont think he's interested in my problems, he then said he would track my problems with honda and ring me back which he hasn't. sick as a chip now... :mad: allways the same once they've took your money off you

·
Registered
37 Posts
I noticed it too (guess it's a Belgium problem).

But i'm quite confident it's a gearbox noise you hear.
I have been involved in some racing activities, and the same whine is very noticable in race prepared cars.
So my guess: it's the gearbox, and it's nice to have :) (because i think it's a proof that the gearbox is up to it's job).

No VTEC here either with only 450km on the tacho.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I noticed it too (guess it's a Belgium problem).

But i'm quite confident it's a gearbox noise you hear.
I have been involved in some racing activities, and the same whine is very noticable in race prepared cars.
So my guess: it's the gearbox, and it's nice to have :) (because i think it's a proof that the gearbox is up to it's job).

No VTEC here either with only 450km on the tacho.
May I as where you are from? Maybe it's worth comparing the sound. It would be quite alarming if this is the gearbox because this would indicate synco wear!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes i've noticed it about a week ago, it happens 3000-3800rpm more when the engines warming up. its only just started happening :( took it to the dealer yesterday they said they would look into it but it may just be the 2nd oil pump which would be normal :confused: dont think so cos its only just started. sick as a chip now... :mad: allways the same once they've took your money off you
Sorry for cutting your post a little but it's to indicate I'm replying to you. I would bed my money on either gearbox or engine. Since it happens in every gear, I'm inclined to say engine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the type r is made in the uk and mine is a uk car so not just a Belgian problem. its definitely an engine problem. the dealer said that they had someone in before who had a engine noise at 2000-2500rpm they said that this was the second oil pump coming on and that the oil pump noise was normal on this engine. the noise on mine has just started and it is higher up in the revs. sorry to confuse this with my gear change problem i should have put my gear change problem on a different post so as not to confuse this with the engine noise. :oops: anyways waiting for the dealer to get back to me to book it in...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm planning on meeting up (well I don't know him but asking never hurt anyone) with someone from my small village:) to check out whether his R does this as well. Also made an appointment at the dealer's to have him listen to it. More opinions are greatly appreciated!

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
I also get this high pitched whining sound. Very difficult to describe! It usually happens after i've been driving for about 2-3 mins and seems to go once the engine is properly warmed up. Seems to vary with engine speed/revving regardless of what gear i'm in.

Sorry don't live in Belgium so can't compare sounds ;)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I also get this high pitched whining sound. Very difficult to describe! It usually happens after i've been driving for about 2-3 mins and seems to go once the engine is properly warmed up. Seems to vary with engine speed/revving regardless of what gear i'm in.

Sorry don't live in Belgium so can't compare sounds ;)
But 914 does[smilie=tongue.gif] hehe. Seems to go completely or is reduced? How many miles/km do you have on the clock (it may go away in time)? Because it is gear independant I do not believe it are the synco's. Would be a real challenge to wear them out all at once and this quickly.

@BritsBest: the thing you put laundry in to get cleaned:p (I'm guessing washing machine isn't an English word?)

·
Registered
37 Posts
hmm...i hope it's not a "belgian" problem ;) mine's arriving in june...
Arriving in June?

I ordered mine at the end of January and it was delivered 2 weeks later.
(Althoug mine was a Milano Red)

@Jeroen: I live close to Ghent ;)

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
But 914 does[smilie=tongue.gif] hehe. Seems to go completely or is reduced? How many miles/km do you have on the clock (it may go away in time)? Because it is gear independant I do not believe it are the synco's. Would be a real challenge to wear them out all at once and this quickly.

@BritsBest: the thing you put laundry in to get cleaned:p (I'm guessing washing machine isn't an English word?)

After a few minutes it seems to go away completely. Ive done 2300 miles and noticed it since i had about 500 on the clock.

If you find out what it is i would be very grateful if you could let me know. Otherwise i'll mention it to my dealer next time i'm passing

Washing machine is most definitely an english word - obviously something that BritsBest has never used :rolleyes: lol!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
After a few minutes it seems to go away completely. Ive done 2300 miles and noticed it since i had about 500 on the clock.

If you find out what it is i would be very grateful if you could let me know. Otherwise i'll mention it to my dealer next time i'm passing
Passing by tomorrow;). I'll try to make good notes of his explanation.

I also sacrificed my lunch break to pass by the 'type R owner'. Seems he has a diesel, having fitted a R grill + red H. Friendly guy who has owned a Integra R in the past. He said the sound was normal (I took him for a test drive[smilie=cheeky-grin:). Upon opening the bonnet the R sounded very rough. It was a metal like sound which I recognised from my old 1.4 civic. If you are familiar with it, it's very much like the sound you hear when you need to have the valves adjusted. And I did fuel up with 98 ron fuel. Both paranoia-attacks will hopfully be cleared up at the dealer's.

[QUOTE="R-2, post: 153412, member: 5929"]
Washing machine is most definitely an english word - obviously something that BritsBest has never used :rolleyes: lol![/quote]

haha lol I was embarrassed as I do try to use correct English. Stick it to 'em:p

·
Registered
42 Posts
Arriving in June?

I ordered mine at the end of January and it was delivered 2 weeks later.
(Althoug mine was a Milano Red)

@Jeroen: I live close to Ghent ;)
I was told Milano Red 3 weeks and Alabaster Silver 12-14 weeks...I took Alabaster Silver...do'h! :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts