2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my civic (08) for 4 years now and have had no problem whatsoever with it until now.
This Tuesday whilst stopping at the lights after 20 mins on the motorway; my car started making a noise from under the bonnet, kind of like a pressure relief kind of sound but short and sharp; about 4 or 5 times. Then steam started coming from the engine bay and my revs dropped and the car stalled.
Managed to start it back up. But ever since I've had a boiling sound coming from behind my glovebox.
This morning my battery was dead. And the steam/noise returned but only twice this time.
Roadside did the tests and that and they said the battery was fine and the alternator was charging. (I'd not left anything turned on over night either)

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
Petrol or diesel?

I'm guessing that your engine thermostat has failed closed. But that doesn't explain the battery problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, cheers for the reply.
It's a 1.8 petrol.

My temp gauge is working fine, stays about 2 notches below half way and doesn't fluctuate.

The roadside assistant guy mentioned something to do with a possible alternator clutch seizing problem and that the steam/smoke might be caused by the friction on the belt moving over a seized up pulley?

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
Obvious question, coolant level ok?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, coolant is topped up.
I'm going to bleed the system tonight just to see if that helps get rid of the noise behind the dash.

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
Good shout. Have you done or had any work done recently?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the amusing part.
I had the car in for its MOT on Monday (also had the rear discs and pads changed), and then by Tuesday these problems have sprung up.

(Passed with flying colours by the way)

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
I wondered if something like a coolant pipe has been knocked and leaked. Airlock maybe? The bleed will find that out I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts