2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Twisted by the Dark side
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on two occasions this week when i have started the car the start button has just made a clicking noise and all the dash lights flickered. it did this for two attempts I left it for a few seconds then started on the third attempt.
the first time was after work the car had been in the car park for 8 hours.
the second time last night just driven 25miles popped into tesco left the lights and radio on, was only a couple of minutes.
Any ideas guys, could it be the battery? what is the life expectancy of the battery?

·
Registered
326 Posts
ive had this a couple of times. once i had left the radio on while cleaning the car - drained battery .
the other time the battery was just dead after not driving the car for a few days.
was fine after a charge.
i have read that the honda oem battery is a weak and a few people have replaced with aftermarket batteries.
my car has done less than 35000 miles so its not that the battery should need replacing yet, its just underpowered i think!

·
Twisted by the Dark side
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not that the battery is dead, it as if there isnt enough spark to start the engine. its strange.
I am worried that its not the battery and its electrical.££££

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
Mines done this a few times, but only over the last couple of months.

Wait in anticipation of better spec battery recommendations.

·
Twisted by the Dark side
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well if others are having similar symptoms then it must be the battery.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Ideally, validate that it is the battery.
Check the voltage over the poles with a multimeter.
Less than 12.4 V is not good.

Honda don't make their own batteries, and as far as I know they have bought different brands of battery over the years.

Any good car parts place should be able to tell you which batteries in their range fit your car.

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
I've got a multi meter in the boot. Never thought about checking it to be honest.

I'll have a look this afternoon if I've time.

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
Right just done mine.

Car has been stood since Monday morning when I had it serviced and I've been off work all week.

Checked the battery and it is at 12.42 V. Started it up and it went to 14.18 V with the engine running.

I'm not big up on batteries. Does that mean it is borderline and on the way out?

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Right just done mine.

Car has been stood since Monday morning when I had it serviced and I've been off work all week.

Checked the battery and it is at 12.42 V. Started it up and it went to 14.18 V with the engine running.

I'm not big up on batteries. Does that mean it is borderline and on the way out?
The 12.42 means the battery is not fully charged.

The 14.18 means the generator is fine.

As the car has been sitting for a week I would suggest:

1) If you have a good reconditioning battery charger, try using this and see if it improves.

2) Have a garage do a "load test". This is actually a better test and will show how well the battery deals with tough loads (like starting the car).

·
Twisted by the Dark side
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right just done mine.

Dont know if you are still around Loxy, but I did a test with hydrometer and it said that 3 cells on my battery were green 1 yellow and 2 red.
I have just been to kwik fit for a free battery test and got similar results to you on the load test but the equipment said that the battery was only running 73% and it was un-serviceable. Now I dont know if there will be a difference between petrol and diesel batteries and the voltage required but it means a new battery for me.
They quoted me wait for it £109 for a new one!!:facepalm:
Another thing he mentioned which I already know is the+v connection was not very snug but it wont tighten any more?
Also my left HID keeps going off, I wonder if its related

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
If it's not a sealed battery then make sure that the plates inside the cells are covered by the acid solution inside, if not top up so they are just covered with de-mineralised water.
As FWH said get a charger/conditioner on it. Try to get it on a low charge for a longer duration rather than fast charging it, can do more harm than good. Un-sealed batteries are usally easier to recover and recharge than most sealed for life items.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mine done it last year. Ive got a trade card for Halfords and it was £38 quid for the battery. However... you need to do away with the plastic battery cover on the type r as the posts are round the wrong way as Yuasa make halfords batteries they are also made to fit other jap cars. Im not sure if all civics have the plastic cover round the battery.
You get a 3 year warranty with a halfords battery. So keep the receipt. :)

·
OMG8THGENEX
840 Posts
12.42v is fine when the ignition is fully off and nothing is switched on... 14.18v means that the alternator is working as it should...

The question is how rapid does the voltage drop when something is switched on i.e. radio.. best way to check this is to switch on the ignition followed by the radio and check the drop in voltage every 10 minutes, if you don't have access to a multimeter then a surefire way to tell is that if the battery is flat after just 2 hours of the radio on then i'm afraid it's duff... just be sure to have a battery charger to hand to enable you to go and buy a new battery ;)

In my opinion the best battery out there at the moment is the Bosch S4!

Bosch Honda S4 Battery 158 4 Year Guarantee | Euro Car Parts UK

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
I got my battery changed on warranty, also have you had the fuse box fix done by your dealer?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts