2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve got a 56 plate 1.8 Civic with 45k on the clock, full Honda history, bought just over a year ago from a Honda dealer. I was getting very close to the end of the warranty and there was a tapping noise from the engine. It sounded like a tappet noise, so with just a few days of the warranty left i took it in. They changed the oil, adjusted the valve clearances and looked at other bits and bobs. It was fine for 3 or 4 days but the noise came back. Although it was now out of warranty i took it back and told them i wasn't happy. They were good about it and had another look. Unfortunately the warranty doesn't cover diagnosis time so eventually they said they needed to take the head off but they would have to charge me labour. I argued it out, told them to take the head off and see what they found. They never did charge me for that work, but when they took the head off they found 2 of the bores badly scored. They spoke with Honda who put it down to wear and tear after seeing photos of the damage so they told me i'd have to pay 3.5k for a bottom end, 1k labour and about 300 quid for parts. I wasn't happy so the dealership spoke with Honda again who then gave me the brand new bottom end for free, the dealership paid for the parts and only charged me 400 quid to pull my engine, swap my head onto the new bolck, reinsert, recharge air con, etc, etc.

Because it was classed as wear and tear, by rights i should have paid for everything, and i know some people will say "you should have fought your corner, etc" but once Honda said they'd give me the engine for free and the dealership were willing to help, i think it was worth the 400 quid i paid as if i'd kicked up a fuss and the damage to the engine was inconclusive then i may of ended up paying all of it.

I inspected the knackered engine after and no.3 pot looked to have a casting defect to my eye but pot no.4 bore looked in fine fettle apart from the scoring. From what i've seen of damaged engines before it doesn't look like a snapped ring, so i'm really not sure.

So after all that the car drives and sounds like a new one and overall and all considered i'm a happy bunny.

·
Replica man
2,175 Posts
good to hear the dealership seems helpfull, worrying how they think with 45k that kind of damage could be down to wear and tear

1 - 2 of 2 Posts