2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Aye Aye....
7,098 Posts
They are both K20 Gaz yeh but different variants, the thing is that the intakes/manifolds etc are designed and therefore shaped if you like to work inside an EP3/FN2 engine bay etc so they are different shapes (to look at to put it simply) so they won't fit :(

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Fn2 has 2 engine balancers for smoother power delivery when crossing over into the vetech
Actually those balancing shafts are in the oil pump to satisfy EU regs for NVH. Regs that did not exist when the EP3 was new.

Those shafts offset vibrations caused by the engine, at the cost of a restriction in terms of inertia.

Those shafts do your car no good IMO.

As DPG said they are the same engines but there are variations between the two for various reasons, some that spring to my mind are:

Oil pump
Intake system
Exhaust system
ECU
Compression

Not many parts will fit both.

·
Premium Member
6,562 Posts
Actually those balancing shafts are in the oil pump to satisfy EU regs for NVH. Regs that did not exist when the EP3 was new.

Those shafts offset vibrations caused by the engine, at the cost of a restriction in terms of inertia.

Those shafts do your car no good IMO.

As DPG said they are the same engines but there are variations between the two for various reasons, some that spring to my mind are:

Oil pump
Intake system
Exhaust system
ECU
Compression

So no not many parts will fit both.
Simplified by young Ash. The answer is no :D

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ive often wondered this and have asked before.

I also know the vtec kicks in a bit earlier on the fn2.Does anyone know any other differences between the engines.Im taking it the block is the same but thats it.?

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Think the cam shafts are the only interchangable part on the engines. Im sure the fd2 cams are the same part as the dc5 cams qhich may mean the normal civic ones are the same.
Shame the rest is different as i have half an ep3 in my shed waiting to go to fund the fn2 mods

·
*Lisa* Alabaster Princess
1,750 Posts

·
Go Hard or Go Home!
2,063 Posts
Doesnt matter now she's got a mirror for a rocker cover :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts