2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

On Tuesday I picked up my new FN2 Type R to replace the 55 plate EP3 Premier I have owned for the last 18 months. The new car is an 09 Spec GT in Crystal Black. I specified bluetooth handsfree, premium mats and co-axial speakers front and rear.

I decidied to move to the FN2 as I wanted a more comfortable day to day car that would make life a little more relaxing but I also wanted to keep the involving and exciting nature of the iVTEC engine for the now far fewer occations when I a chance to enjoy it.

First impressions are good, particulaly the surprisingly reasuring thud when you close the door. The interior feels a million times more grown up and premium than my old car. I loved the gear sticks positioning and feel in the EP3 and I have to say that in the new car it is easily as good if not better. I expected the dashboard and instruments to take alot longer to get used to but in reality I felt at home almost imediately, the dash info and settings have taken a quick flick through the manual to work out but now make complete sense. The seats are far more comfortable than the Recaro's I had previously and the pedals and door sills really finish the interior off well. The USB port in the arm rest worked straight away with my iPod although again a quick check of the manual required to work out how to navigate through the menus using the stereo controls. The sound quality is good and the integration is surprisingly good.

Driving the EP3 I always felt like you had to really grab the car by the scruff of its neck and almost fight to get it to go exactly where you wanted. The FN2 has a much more responsive feel to it, the feedback is also much better. The car does feel heavier although not in a bad way, it seems to be more planted and in control in a comforting way. The brakes although not 100% worn in are alot better than those in the EP3 that felt quite wooden and lacking in feedback. Day to day driving the FN2 feels quicker off the mark and also more responsive in gear and lower down the rev range and the fantastic sound of the exhaust really suits the car. The EP3 used to feel dead below six thousand RPM with no real noise or grunt.

A few last things to note, the HID headlights are excellent and the rear visability is far better than I originally thought / expected. The car is far more comfortable than I was hoping it would be and overall has a very premium feel.

To anyone thinking of making the same move, I am very glad I did as I now have a much smarter, more comfortable car with the same fun factor and excellent engine and gearbox as before.

·
AKA - Vin Petrol
1,821 Posts
Good to see some positive comments for the FN2 when pitched against
the EP3 for once! lol.

Glad your happy with the purchase mate

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I agreed with all when i changed from a EP3 bar, the rear view with no wiper in the rain is terrible! and i would still choose Recaro branded seats over OEM anyday, but enjoy :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, just waiting for a few more miles before I really start to open her up to play. Have only done 115 so far.

·
Registered
76 Posts
ive had mine brand new since tuesday and tbh ive ragged the s**t out of her! I'm hoping this wont damage her but i carnt help myself!

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
ive had mine brand new since tuesday and tbh ive ragged the s**t out of her! I'm hoping this wont damage her but i carnt help myself!
I have had lots of new bikes, Blades, R1's, ZX10 I always do the first 150miles steady, drop the oil and then nailed it, my bikes always seemed to be the quickest,

Im sure somone will cant wait to disagree but hey-ho, I would the same :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So how many miles should I be waiting until I really start to drive the car? The handbook says 600 but it has been sugested on here that 250 is enough? Opinions please..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool, how did you drive the first 600 miles? I have been told I should try to keep varying the revs and just drive it like normal, not too hard but definately not softly. ie 50 - 75% throttle upto 5000 rpm when accelerating?

·
Banned
365 Posts
Cool, how did you drive the first 600 miles? I have been told I should try to keep varying the revs and just drive it like normal, not too hard but definately not softly. ie 50 - 75% throttle upto 5000 rpm when accelerating?
That's spot on but you should use all the rev range but be gentle if you get me. Also remember it's not just the engine your running in it's all moving parts, most importantly the brakes and tyres.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Just drive it steady on a few A and B roads for the first 600 miles .
This will help you to use all the gears/brakes/revs etc.
Stuart.

·
'DRIVE' your Car!
221 Posts
:D I too got my baby on Tuesday (see my thread here in the Type R section).
I read the wiki here, plus other sites and we just need to get through some varied driving, specially for the piston rings (which is the crucial running-in).
I took mine from the showroom for a 30 mile (ish) drive on A and B roads.
Also ensured no harsh braking, but used engine braking, snapping the throttle, and a bit of v-tec too ;) BUT not the red line flava! Have not gone past 6000 rpms yet and have just done over a hundred miles.
My car is currently laid up until Thursday night due to switching to my G Voyager for work!

BUT most importantly i can really relate to the excitement you are currently going through.

How are you doing on mileage (first tank)? Mine says i should get 230 at current consumption rate - is that good or bad?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts