2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My mate has an EP3 with an odd problem. After sitting, say overnight, the first time you attempt to crossover, it revs as far as the crossover point and then seems to go off a few cylinders (very audibly due to unsilenced b pipe) and won't rev past the vtec engagement point. The next time you attempt to vtec it will crossover fine, even you lift off and lower revs to 2/3k after the problem appears and demand vtec straight away it will 9/10 crossover the second attempt and every attempt afterwards.

Engine is always warm before any attempt to crossover.
No fault codes and no EML
Oil recently changed
AEM long arm induction kit

Any ideas?

Thanks
Rick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
I know what you've said in terms of the engine being warm etc but are you sure the oil is up to temp?

The VTEC will not engage until the oil is hot enough. This is a deliberate safety measure.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I'm aware it's only coolant temp that is monitored? However I and my mate know that oil is the most important one and any attempt to crossover is made after 10/15 mins of driving.

·
A wizard is never late...
793 Posts
Vtec is oil pressure so check oil level, if that's so low as to not let vtec engage then it's been run too low on oil anyway. But if that's not the problem check the vtec solonoid and that it's not blocked.

Reactions: MarBras

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil level is fine. It's on 127k and barely uses any. Would the solenoid cause the running off cylinders and not wanting to rev past the engagement point?

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plugs have been changed. Coils are a good one and possibly the next thing to change. There is no coil pack symptoms at any other stage.

·
793 Posts
Is it cutting out at 5.6k rpm when vtec is supposed to engage? If so it could be the solonoid.

Best thing to do is get it on a code reader, that will tell you if it's something like a cam sensor and save alot of guessing.

·
793 Posts
Reactions: ghost_bhp

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I'd check the VTEC solenoid. There's a filter in there that can get gunked up. I'd start there

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Vtec is oil pressure so check oil level, if that's so low as to not let vtec engage then it's been run too low on oil anyway. But if that's not the problem check the vtec solonoid and that it's not blocked.
I don't see a mention of oil pressure here - that's another "requirement" for VTEC actuation.
It is weird that it will engage after a second attempt. It could be worth checking the solenoid filter as mentioned but it does seem an odd issue.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
That's what made me think the filter... I'd give it an oil service and clean the solenoid... could be a cheap fix.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts