2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So over the last few days as the temps have dropped back to 4deg and below here in Switzerland, I have started to get the EPS Check Error on the dash. One or two stop/starts of the engine and it goes away as with most people.

There are several threads on this already that I have found but none have really clarified if you need HDS or a trip to the dealer to replace the EPS Module.

My car is a 2006 (I cant seem to find the build month but it was registered here in Switzerland in Sept 06) and might be affected by the recall but the service bulletin I found on the Wiki here related only to Civic Hybrids.

My questions are as follows:

If I buy a replacement used module from a 2006 Civic (does it have to be from a 1.8 like mine or can it be 2.2 also?) will I need to get it reprogrammed or will it be a simple change?

Should I just get an EPS Module from a 2008 for example? Where I presume it will need coding but shouldnt have this problem again?

Many thanks in advance!

I have only had the car a month and it has a warranty but only on the Engine and Gearbox.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi. I changed the module my self last year. You need to find a replacement module that matches the serial number/build number that is on your old module. I have a 2008 Civic, and bought a module off a 2010 civic. The replacement was a straight swap without needing to code it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
And I have an Fn2, and i had to find a replacement module from another Fn2, or else the serial number would be off. So I im pretty sure you need to match the the type of car as well. At least this was the case with the Type R. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for the replies kevven. I shall try to find a 2006 FK 1.8 one then. Ill try have a look at the weekend to see if I can read the serial number of my current EPS module

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ardennes1944, could you please take some pictures of the module and its location?

I had similar problems twice a year ago and nothing since then, despite that that winter was much colder than the previous one and I read that this issue occurs in cold weather.

However, it would be nice to have more information about the problem.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ardennes1944, could you please take some pictures of the module and its location?

I had similar problems twice a year ago and nothing since then, despite that that winter was much colder than the previous one and I read that this issue occurs in cold weather.

However, it would be nice to have more information about the problem.

Thanks in advance.
Theres a thread here somewhere that says its position that I need to find, but I will do my best at the weekend to take a pic and upload here

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the delay, had a look for the control unit this evening, its super easy to find. See the picture below, its the silver box you can see the corner of.
The part number for mine is 39980-SMG-G2 which of course seems to be a rarer one.
I have found a second hand one for 40euro in Germany which I will buy. The 39980-SMG-G2 number is the same but the smaller number next to Showa is different, Im guessing that doesnt matter right?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sadly i think it does matter, but could you post the rest of the serial number for both yours and the replacement?

Edit: yes it has to be the completely the same. I just checked when I was doing research for my own fix.

I'm guessing your replacement came from a car built earlier than yours?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn, here is the replacement Iwas looking at : https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/honda-civic-viii-8-hatchback-steuergeraet-39980-smg-servolenkung/641573672-223-1952

They all seem to have 50-07M and mine is YEO-50. The only ones I can find that match mine exactly are 150euro plus! and theres only 2 for sale versus dozens of the others.

I dont suppose you have the website where you got the info from kevven?

Im not sure if its from a car earlier than mine. Mine is a mid 2006 so it cant be much older. There seems to be loads of variations of the 39980-SMG-G2 number not to mention the smaller number next to Showa...nightmare!

Thanks again

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sadly i don't, I pulled info from all over the place. But both the SMG part and the Showa has to be right, as it is the the whole serialnumber. The bottom numbers represent build date. Ex. 071015, meaning it came from a car built in October 2007. You can get a replacement from a car with a different build date, but the whole serial number will have to match.

I bought mine off eBay from a German site as well. Think I paid about 100 euros for mine as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you very much Kevven thats great info. I shall wait and see if the right one pops up in Germany so or in Europe. Mine is from 25 April 2006 then.

·
Registered
307 Posts
thank you very much Kevven thats great info. I shall wait and see if the right one pops up in Germany so or in Europe. Mine is from 25 April 2006 then.
No problem mate! Hope you get it sorted, I know how much of a hassle this issue is. Was so happy to get mine fixes, my car was undrivable at the end because of the error.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem mate! Hope you get it sorted, I know how much of a hassle this issue is. Was so happy to get mine fixes, my car was undrivable at the end because of the error.

Last question Kevven...I dont suppose you know if LHD or RHD matters? Theres probably a good chance of finding a civic for breaking on ebay uk.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Last question Kevven...I dont suppose you know if LHD or RHD matters? Theres probably a good chance of finding a civic for breaking on ebay uk.
I pretty sure it doesent, and I didn't take that into consideration when I was shopping for a replacement. Mine is LHD, and I bought mine from eBay UK:)

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Late to the party on this one. I've swapped out the unit myself as I was getting the error. It's a complete pain in the backside to get to all of the nuts, especially the top one.

I swapped out with a brand new one with identical part numbers. However I needed to connect the car up to the HDS to calibrate the power steering. This involves jacking the front of the car up and turning the wheels left and right.

Once done, the fault has disappeared and not returned.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Late to the party on this one. I've swapped out the unit myself as I was getting the error. It's a complete pain in the backside to get to all of the nuts, especially the top one.

I swapped out with a brand new one with identical part numbers. However I needed to connect the car up to the HDS to calibrate the power steering. This involves jacking the front of the car up and turning the wheels left and right.

Once done, the fault has disappeared and not returned.
Agreed on the top bolt! Pain in the ass! Strange that you needed to calibrate it!

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Agreed on the top bolt! Pain in the ass! Strange that you needed to calibrate it!

I think it's because the replacement was brand new that I got for a steal at £50. I would suspect that all second hand ones would be pre calibrated, albeit to the previous car.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think it's because the replacement was brand new that I got for a steal at £50. I would suspect that all second hand ones would be pre calibrated, albeit to the previous car.
Ah. I didn't read the part that stated it was brand new! That is indeed a steal for it! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still searching for one with the exact part number unfortunately. I found one in Poland but the seller wont ship outside Poland and isnt very cooperative :(

Paul, the HDS that you have, is it a clone or a genuine version?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts