2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'd be really grateful for some info on this. Basically, my power steering has failed THREE times in the last three weeks.

As I'm pulling away from the traffic lights on all three occasions, I get a big picture of a steering wheel on the dash and the steering goes really HEAVY- worse than with a car without power steering. If I turn the ignition off then on and restart the engine, the fault clears and the steering works fine again.The last time it happened I had the kids in the car so this is getting to be a bit of a joke.

The second time it happened it went into Honda and they read the codes (didn't charge me).

They got; 51-07 torque sensor fault, 61-04 motor harness malfunction and 22-01 engine speed signal.

They told me they had cleared the codes and when the light came back on again to take the car back in. Well I'll called to try and book it in but they say they can't fit me in until at least next week because they are fully booked up.

I have had a look at the wires to the motor on the steering rack and the wires going to the Showa EPS control unit. I can't see any sort of damage or water ingress. The connections are also tight.

Have any of you guys had any experience of this kind of failure? I'm worried that this is going to be a big bill because it is intermittent- those kind of faults can be a nightmare to solve.

I've really had enough of this car. Ever since I have bought it second hand last year, it's been back and forth to the dealer. It was supposed to be an 'approved Honda'. I have called Honda UK numerous times and spoke to them. To be honest, they have been understanding but it's not like I can hand the car back after 18+months. Even the guy at Honda UK admitted I have had a lot of serious faults with it. After owning Honda's since I could drive (I currently have 3) I have seriously lost faith in the brand. This Civic is the worst car I have ever owned and also the most expensive!:rolleyes:

PS the fault codes are the not the same as in the Wiki

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
My EPS light used to come on intermittently (06 EX model).

Thankfully, the problem only ever happened when I started the engine, and I never lost power steering whilst driving. Ignition off and then on again usually resolved it for that journey.

As it is a common fault, I had the EPS module replaced under warranty.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well a bit of an update to this in case anybody has the same symptoms as my car. The dealer has replaced the EPS module. I still don't know 100% if the car is fixed now because it could be a couple of weeks before the steering would fail. I have lost all faith in the car now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey.

Just seen your post and I am experiencing the same problems. I had the kids in the car today and the PS cut out as I was cornering, scary stuff.

I was wondering if replacing the EPS module solved the problem?

Thanks
Graeme

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Is the EPS module just the electronic controller or the mechanical part as well? Wondering if this is a plug in/out system which is easy to DIY.

Edit: I think it needs a HDS plugin to calibrate it, so it is a garage job regardless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts