2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone im new to the forum just wanted to say hi to everyone and ask a question.

Juts brought a 5 months old CIVIC 1.8SE but the garage wont release it until they have a new EPS sensor! does anyone know anything about this - the salesman mentioned something about a reclaim?

Woundering how long its going to take as they are hard to get hold of apparently!.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hi.

A while ago, a batch or cars were recalled due to an issue with the EPS.

The work shouldn't take long, but if there is a wait for the part.... Who knows?

Ther ehave been a few discussions on the recall, searching for "EPS" or "recall" should bring up some good results.

Hope it gets sorted soon!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi,

Searched through the forum (great source of info btw), and found this topic on problems with the power steering.

I have had my 2.2 diesel Civic (2007 model) for just over a year now, and recently I'm having the following problem:

When I start the engine (after either a nights sleep, of after parking it at work and going home again) I get the EPS icon (steering wheel) with an exclamation mark (!) on the information display. And steering is not/hardly possible. Obviously there's a problem with the Electric Power Steering.

When i turn off the engine and start again (sometimes twice) everything works fine again and I can use the car properly, without any problem whatsoever.

Have been to my garage and they've checked, but couldn't find anything in particular (hooked it up to the computer and indeed saw several messages about the EPS problem). They cleared the system and told me to come back if the problem occurs again.

I must mention that I've had a flat battery once (4 months ago) after not using the car for a couple of days (a common Honda problem, if I'm not mistaken). Could it be related? Also I must add that it's been getting colder here lately at night. (around freezing temperature) (might affect the battery?)

First time I was at the garage a mechanic said that it 'could be' the battery (a known issue?). Made an appointment for december to leave the car overnight so they can sort it out.

Is this a (well)known problem? Any other Civic owners that recognize these symptoms or have (more detailed) info on it?

Appreciate the comments!

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I bought my 2.2 Sport in February this year from the Honda dealership. ( a 2005 model, 9200 on the clock ). Very shortly afterwards I was advised of a recall being required on the vehicle. The EPS unit was to be replaced and at first they ordered the wrong part in. I was not allowed to put the car back on the road till the new part came in as they deemed it to be dangerous. They did fix me up with a hire car for a 4 days, which I thought was excellent. The EPS unit involved they said cost in the region of £1500...!! So if its a possible warranty issue get back to Honda on this.
Good luck...

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's a lease car so I won't have to worry about those costs and I'll get a replacement car. Made sure it will be 'comparable' to the Civic :p (last time when I went to get the Civic serviced they mis planned and I ended up with a Honda Jazz... [smilie=grrrrrr.gif])

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I had an ESP recall but my dealer told me it was software related. They told me they had done it but Honda wrote to me to tell me it was showing as outstanding so I called Honda and they have no record of the work being done so advised me to take it back to the dealer.

I mentioned it in my last service but come to think of it (as typically I had a list!) I can't remember if they mentioned it so I'm worried now!

Anyone else just had a software recall?

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I had no mention regarding software for my recall. My Honda garage said that the EPS serial number would indicate if my one was in the faulty category, which it was. Honda must know the serial numbers of the suspect batch. As I said previously, the fault has safety implications by nature of the replacement.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Hi,

Searched through the forum (great source of info btw), and found this topic on problems with the power steering.

I have had my 2.2 diesel Civic (2007 model) for just over a year now, and recently I'm having the following problem:

When I start the engine (after either a nights sleep, of after parking it at work and going home again) I get the EPS icon (steering wheel) with an exclamation mark (!) on the information display. And steering is not/hardly possible. Obviously there's a problem with the Electric Power Steering.

When i turn off the engine and start again (sometimes twice) everything works fine again and I can use the car properly, without any problem whatsoever.

Have been to my garage and they've checked, but couldn't find anything in particular (hooked it up to the computer and indeed saw several messages about the EPS problem). They cleared the system and told me to come back if the problem occurs again.

I must mention that I've had a flat battery once (4 months ago) after not using the car for a couple of days (a common Honda problem, if I'm not mistaken). Could it be related? Also I must add that it's been getting colder here lately at night. (around freezing temperature) (might affect the battery?)

First time I was at the garage a mechanic said that it 'could be' the battery (a known issue?). Made an appointment for december to leave the car overnight so they can sort it out.

Is this a (well)known problem? Any other Civic owners that recognize these symptoms or have (more detailed) info on it?

Appreciate the comments!
How strange :rolleyes: - I too have been getting excactly the same problem over the last two weeks, and yes it only seems to happen when it's very cold.

I called out Honda Assistance (the AA) and they could find no fault, he checked his laptop and said their (AA) system says that there is an issue with Civics and EPS units.

I checked the Honda Recall website, but according to that my Civic is not affected :?::?:, so It's going in to the dealers on Monday.

I'm fully expecting to be fobbed off by them and told there is no problem! we shall see - I'll keep you updated!

·
Registered
23 Posts

I've got the same problem yesterday morning. Turned off the engine and restarted it after 10 seconds. No problem anymore.

·
Registered
42 Posts
UPDATE on EPS problem.

As described above I've had (daily) issues with my power steering not working after I push the start button.

Yesterday I had the EPS unit replaced and it looks promising, so far no problems with the power steering. The replacement of this units seems to have solved the problems. So if you have the same issue, get the unit replaced ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have had this continuing problem. Mine needs sometimes upto 10 turn-offs and restarts before it kicks in (it was 10 on Monday and 4 today). Have taken it back again to Honda and referenced them to this and related pages. Hopefully now they will do something about it!!

Thanks all for their experiences.

Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Appreciate the comments!

Back in February when we had the bad weather (snow) my civic 2.2 cdti had exactly the same thing, i put it down to the snow although my partners old picasso had no such problem with the power steering but here was i in my 2006 honda stranded! this took more then 15 engine start and off attempts before the power steering would work! for last month this has not happened until today, no bad weather, no ice, battery turned engine fine started first time just no power steering and warning light on! decided to leave engine running for a few minutes, turned off then back on and no change, tried a few more times and then it decided to work! worrying now though as what if this happens on a motorway, never had this problem and i am sure there is a fault here that Honda should sort out, i have contacted honda regarding this just awaiting contact from there service personel! as not long ago i contact them about drivers electric mirror that only folds harfway! never had honda before but was told very reliable so decided to purchase one!

Think every civic owner that is having this trouble should contact honda until they realise its a design fault and get them to rectify it....

·
Registered
1 Posts
EPS - Electric Power Steering Fault

Anyone having problems with a warning light on the dash for the EPS should take a look at the recall site at VOSA corporate website this UK goverment site shows that Civic's were recalled for this fault.

I have printed off the details and will be paying my local Honda garage a visit as soon as possible.

Hope this info helps anyone having problems with there EPS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
occasionally steering gets harder/stiff

I have Honda civic 2003 size 1.6 and I had problem 6 months ago, where my power steering wheel got really hard(stiff) when I tried to park in between two cars, and when I drove the next day then it was fine and I never faced problem again for nearly 6 months now, drove around 1000 miles after that.
But yesterday I faced the same problem when I tried to park my car, and checked this morning if it is fine as it was before, and it steers as normal.

I checked the power steering fluid and it is there till maximum level (But I have not changed the oil since I bought the car in april this year)

Please help me on this. what could be the problem?
Is the power steering expects something to cool down (that is why it works ok next day) after it left parked overnight?

Note: when the problem was encountered the engine is warm and running

Advance thanks for your help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Power Steering Failure

I've got a Civic 1.8ES and am currently going through the steering light issues. Damn annoying. Thanks to the user who posted the VOSA link. I'll be taking that to the garage to discuss possible repair. Mine seems to take anywhere between 1 go and 12 to kick into life and I've kind of become addicted to the excitement of waiting for the steering to kick in! I'd also be interested if anyone knows whether Honda will cover the repair now it's out of warranty?
Good cars, wish i'd bought a 2.2 CDTI really but apart from this issue it's been great. Just eyeing up an Alfa Romeo GT so I guess I'd better get used to minor electrical faults.:):facepalm:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I am new to the forum. I have just recently purchased a 2007 2.2 CDTI EX Civic and the EPS warning light has been intermittently coming up making the steering of the vehicle pretty much impossible and very dangerous when it comes and you are driving at speed. The only way to get rid of it is to switch off the engine and re-start which temporarily gets rid of the EPS warning. However this is happening more and more and it takes 2 and sometimes 3 re-starts to get the EPS back and working. I read all the threads, printed out some of the posts, the wiki page on the subject, the vosa recall and the Honda service bulletin posted relating to the fault. I took this to a Honda dealer in Bedford and they plug in there diagnostic equipment and confirmed that they could see that the EPS warning light had come on a number of times. They also confirmed a DTC code something like DTC 32-01. They cleared down the codes and told me that unless the EPS warning light was on they could not really diagnose the problem. I did show them all the documents I printed out but they said that if I wanted them to replace the EPS control unit they would charge. They did refer me to Honda UK for assistance though. I called Honda UK and registered a complaint with the customer relations team and I did receive a callback. I told them about the recall, the posts on the forum and the conversation with the Bedford dealer. Basically they said that my car was not part of the recall which I knew. I pointed out that it was the same problem and the person told me that the EPS control unit in my 2007 model was different to the 2005 & 2006 which were part of the recall. Despite me stating this fault was to coincidental and referring to the posts on the honda forums they are not prepared to offer any financial assistance. I am now in the situation where I either wait for the EPS light to come on and then attempt to drive to a Honda dealer and show them so they can diagnose the fault (which is what they said they needed to happen) or based on the posts get the EPS controller unit replaced at my cost and see if that sorts out the problem. Has anyone with a 2007 Civic had the same problem and managed to get assistance from Honda?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Faulty EPS

I have a Civic 1.8-1-VTECH SE PLUS AUTO 5 bought in Feb 2015 and the EPS cut out on a country road at 40 mph very scary the AA called and followed me home and it cut out again a couple of miles down the road. It was a nice sunny day and not cold, and now none of the sensors around the car are working. Brighton Honda came over today and took it away and left me a courtsey car so they gave me good service and they are going to investigate. I have only had the car six weeks and it was registered in 2014 and has 3500 miles on the clock when I bought it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts