2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
'57 Milano Red FN2 GT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

When I got home last night, I could hear a slight whining noise (not a squeak) from the Auxiliary belt area of the engine. I tried to listen for more detail but that was the best I could do at the time.

Took a trip today and all of a sudden the VSA light came on, then ABS then general 'Check Fault'.

I was 300yrds from home thankfully and pulling into my street the power steering just went.
No PAS at all.

So yesterday I thought maybe Alternator bearings. But today maybe Pas Pump?

Car now won't start, not enough juice. No lights when you put the key in. Well, one fantastic light (handbrake)

Has anyone else ever had this?

Cheers boys,
Koose

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,064 Posts
PAS is electric AFAIK ?

Sounds electrical

·
Registered
'57 Milano Red FN2 GT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PAS is electric AFAIK ?

Sounds electrical
Yep you're right! So I assume the voltage got so low the PAS stopped working.

I've loosened the aux belt and the Apternator pulley turns freely. After lunch I'll check and post a vud of how well it actually 'spins' but the belt looks fine, no shredding or bad patches.

Breaking my heart. Had an ST friend come over and he was asking why someone would pay 5k for a tidy 08 FN2 when they could have a tidy 06/07 ST . There's me (as a secret turbo fiend) spilling out the 'balance, last of the NASPS , and of course reliability.... just before this happens 😆😆

Well my NAN and my Mum have 07 STs so there's a reason.

Anyway... HEEEELLPP

Tempted to try and start it without the aux belt just to confirm it's that area bit I have monster hands and I'm afraid I couldn't reroute the belt easily.

Thanks gents

·
Registered
2010 Milano Red FN2 Type R GT
57 Posts
I'd check your alternator is actually putting out the right voltage too, what you describe is not too dissimilar to what happened when the alternator died on my partners old Rover 25.

·
Registered
'57 Milano Red FN2 GT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Squibble. I'm just charging the battery up now.

I tried rolling the following pulleys
Idler
Tensioner
Alternator
Water pump

Water pump seemed fine.
Idler seemed fine.
Tensioner you could hear the bearings are tired.
Alternator, it was smooth, smoother than the Tensioner pulley just didn't spin as freely as say the Idler but then ots got a lot more to spin so I guess its not guess gonna keep spinning like a ball bearing turbo

·
Registered
'57 Milano Red FN2 GT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also... just I should add, heart breakingly (as I chose this over an ST for reliability 😄) it now smokes when I try and reattach the battery.

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,064 Posts
I must admit that sounds serious and needs some professional diagnostic.

·
Registered
'57 Milano Red FN2 GT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I must admit that sounds serious and needs some professional diagnostic.
Yes indeed. Sadly I keep being told to 'bring it down and we'll plug it in'... errmm it's SMOKING from the alternator?! Probably unable to bring it down. Also my local garages are talking 2 weeks.😔

I dunno.. just gutted. I've spent 1500 since I got it. I don't mind tossing an alternator on there if there's a 75% chance that'll fix it. I guess I'm just thinking.. they've been out for 15 years now, if occasionally wires chuffed through, someone on here would know wouldn't they?

I'm probably gonna regret saying this but, whines from the alternator. Lights come on crazily (like when an alternator fails) , alternator is smoking.

Alternator or wiring surely.

I'm just very aware of frying things or starting a fire.

·
Super Moderator
4,137 Posts
are you in the AA, RAC or similar?
try calling them out

·
Registered
57 Posts
Smoking?? Ok, I may have considered things backwards. Check the draw on the alternator, if its Smoking that suggests it's burning the windings out? That sort of thing used to happen when kids hooked huge 800w stereo and subs up to their 1.2 Fiesta :LOL:

It's also maybe possibly that a non-fused live is grounding out? In any event, I'd be frantically ringing either my local Honda dealer, or my trusted aftermarket mechanic.

·
Registered
'57 Milano Red FN2 GT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
are you in the AA, RAC or similar?
try calling them out
I am, I think I may just do that. My only issue is where to take it to. Everywhere 2 - 3 weeks back dated.

Thinking of just sticking on another alternator and checking the wiring to the best of capability.

I just thought it best to ask here first in case anyone's had a similar issue.

·
Registered
'57 Milano Red FN2 GT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Smoking?? Ok, I may have considered things backwards. Check the draw on the alternator, if its Smoking that suggests it's burning the windings out? That sort of thing used to happen when kids hooked huge 800w stereo and subs up to their 1.2 Fiesta :LOL:

It's also maybe possibly that a non-fused live is grounding out? In any event, I'd be frantically ringing either my local Honda dealer, or my trusted aftermarket mechanic.
Yeah its a standard car. But I know what you mean.

Trouble with taking it to Honda is A Their rates but B and most importantly, getting it OUT of their and where to when they quote me £1200.

If no one on here's had any issues with the battery/ alternator wiring, I'll probably just stock a new one on. I'm thinking the whining for the previous 3 miles was the alternator damaging itself internally and then the later issues are symptoms of a cooked alternator?

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
1,738 Posts
Every car has issues, I was looking at a st before I chose the Honda for reliability, since then I have had loads of issue, not engine related though. Still think I chose the right car though. Hope you get it sorted, like wilmo said you in break down, can get it towed to where you require. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet @ Honda if you can’t get into a indie.

·
Registered
'57 Milano Red FN2 GT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Every car has issues, I was looking at a st before I chose the Honda for reliability, since then I have had loads of issue, not engine related though. Still think I chose the right car though. Hope you get it sorted, like wilmo said you in break down, can get it towed to where you require. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet @ Honda if you can’t get into a indie.

Yeah its not changed my mind in Honda. Just one of those ironic things.

·
Registered
57 Posts
In fairness to Honda, they aren't cheap, but they do try to help. Brayley Honda Romford spent well in excess of 7 hours on my car last week just on trying to find the source of my wet passenger footwell, but stuck to only billing me for the 3 hours I'd agreed over the phone. Granted, that plus the screenwash bottle fix totalled £450 inc VAT, but that's about a 3rd of the real workshop cost of what they carried out.

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
1,738 Posts
In fairness to Honda, they aren't cheap, but they do try to help. Brayley Honda Romford spent well in excess of 7 hours on my car last week just on trying to find the source of my wet passenger footwell, but stuck to only billing me for the 3 hours I'd agreed over the phone. Granted, that plus the screenwash bottle fix totalled £450 inc VAT, but that's about a 3rd of the real workshop cost of what they carried out.
I have the mother off fix’s to carry out, need to change the blower in the car is it does not work now. Full dash out or remove of clutch pedal and curse and rant to squeeze it in.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I am, I think I may just do that. My only issue is where to take it to. Everywhere 2 - 3 weeks back dated.

Thinking of just sticking on another alternator and checking the wiring to the best of capability.

I just thought it best to ask here first in case anyone's had a similar issue.
Get a mobile mechanic to check it.

·
Super Moderator
4,137 Posts
Yeah its a standard car. But I know what you mean.

Trouble with taking it to Honda is A Their rates but B and most importantly, getting it OUT of their and where to when they quote me £1200.

If no one on here's had any issues with the battery/ alternator wiring, I'll probably just stock a new one on. I'm thinking the whining for the previous 3 miles was the alternator damaging itself internally and then the later issues are symptoms of a cooked alternator?
at least it's quite easy to get to being at the top of the engine not hidden in the bowels of the engine bay.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts