2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
'57 Milano Red FN2 GT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey fellas,

Sorry I should've got back to you after you kindly advice. I sorted it the next day. I whipped it all apart the, tested the wiring, tool the alternator off and took IT apart and a piece of... diode (?) had corroded/ burnt off and was stuck between the housing and another part. So I ordered another Alt mid morning, put it back together and a new 450W battery.

Also took the opportunity to fit the new genuine headlamps which I got for an insanely good price.

I should've fitted a new belt but I couldn't get one in time and I was so worried it would be something terrible I had to get it back together to see if it all was OK.

So far so good.

Just waiting on a couple of other refresher bits before I can put the grill back on though.

Certainly a new one for me. Built engines and boxes, engine conversions etc.. never seen an alternator smoking from connecting the battery.

Only frustrating bit, because I detached the battery as soon as it started smoking, when I got it all together the £900 Pioneer (at the time) Nav/ Media unit wanted a password. Previous owner didn't know it, managed to get hold of Pioneer. Their engineer talked us through the secret reset. But the final step was to press a 'secret' button. Didn't work. He was like 'ahh.. sorry mate sometimes they move under the touch screen. (Why the he'll didn't they make that step use one of the physical buttons?!).
So I had to get a new headunit. Got a similar spec one just without Nav.

You can see the one that was in it below. If anyone's confident enough they can get around the password thing I'd let it go for not alot. But I have to be honest, I'm not sure I hold up much hope.

Anyway. All part of life's rich pattern.

Thanks again lads!

Will

Attachments

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
1,738 Posts
Hey fellas,

Sorry I should've got back to you after you kindly advice. I sorted it the next day. I whipped it all apart the, tested the wiring, tool the alternator off and took IT apart and a piece of... diode (?) had corroded/ burnt off and was stuck between the housing and another part. So I ordered another Alt mid morning, put it back together and a new 450W battery.

Also took the opportunity to fit the new genuine headlamps which I got for an insanely good price.

I should've fitted a new belt but I couldn't get one in time and I was so worried it would be something terrible I had to get it back together to see if it all was OK.

So far so good.

Just waiting on a couple of other refresher bits before I can put the grill back on though.

Certainly a new one for me. Built engines and boxes, engine conversions etc.. never seen an alternator smoking from connecting the battery.

Only frustrating bit, because I detached the battery as soon as it started smoking, when I got it all together the £900 Pioneer (at the time) Nav/ Media unit wanted a password. Previous owner didn't know it, managed to get hold of Pioneer. Their engineer talked us through the secret reset. But the final step was to press a 'secret' button. Didn't work. He was like 'ahh.. sorry mate sometimes they move under the touch screen. (Why the he'll didn't they make that step use one of the physical buttons?!).
So I had to get a new headunit. Got a similar spec one just without Nav.

You can see the one that was in it below. If anyone's confident enough they can get around the password thing I'd let it go for not alot. But I have to be honest, I'm not sure I hold up much hope.

Anyway. All part of life's rich pattern.

Thanks again lads!

Will
Glad you got it sorted mate. Them head lights look very nice, where did you get them, like the black secondary colour in them.

·
Registered
'57 Milano Red FN2 GT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Glad you got it sorted mate. Them head lights look very nice, where did you get them, like the black secondary colour in them.
Thanks mate.

They're just New Genuine ones from Honda. Honda Swansea sells them for a good price 168. I got mine from Cox Morecombe with a few other bits so they did me a crazy deal on the phone.
Always worth ringing, especially if you're ordering a few other bits, maybe some service items or a few bits you're tidying up.

New light units front or rear make such a bug difference. These cars are between 11 and 15 yrs old now, and it shows on those plastic units. I'll post some pics when it's dry and back together and that might help decide if it's worth it. You can sell your cleaned up Genuine used ones for bit too.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts