2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body got one. I am thinking of getting one with the i-shift transmission. Can take a bit of getting used i have been warned. Not much good press about it. 8)

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Some negative feedback on it at some Honda Weblog. Maybe if you google it.

I haven't tried it. And as I recall it won't even be available here until next year.

I recommend you test both manual and i-shift versions before you make up your mind.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Pezza, give it a thorough test before ordering. If its as bad as the reports say, you could lose a bundle come trade in time. What about the great six speed box ?. 8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a short test drive last week. Once you keep remembering to lift off the gas as you do with a manual gear change it soon becomes fairly smooth. I quite liked using the paddles to change gear and i soon got used to to that. I feel you have to change you driving method slightly and be a litlle slower on the changes.
Having another test drive next week.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Try the DSG semi-auto on the VAG vehicles, then go back to the i-shift.

·
Registered
87 Posts
elfa7 said:
What about the great six speed box ?. 8)
Totally agree. The superb slick gear change of the manual is one of the major plus points in a Civic. The precise nature of all the throws is wonderful.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
yes thats true. Its like looking for an excuse to change gear. The car is quiet too. We were on a duel,50 limit , cameras, you know the scene, and looked at the rev counter showing 2000 rpm. I was only in 4th, thought i was in sixth.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Was in a I-shift yesterday, though a short trip.

I was a passenger, the car was in auto-mode, but thought that it was not bad at all. Certainly no DSG that the VW/Audi lot use, but then again mechanically it never could be. I have definitely been in worse automatics - the Ford Mondeo being one.

·
Registered
107 Posts
hi pezza have had several test drives in the i shift most of them over one hour long so that i got a good feel for the car obviously the lower gears are the most noticeable with the so called lurch you get from the gear change .I felt the more i was in the car the better i felt about the gears ,as you said you have to try to lift the accelerator slightly at gear change this helps a lot plus although im not to interested in them using the paddles and the revs lets the car fly like a bat out of hell :D (was told to try this on one of the demonsrations i had :evil: ) have seen some feed back not so good but have also seen a few good reports i made my mind up i liked the i shift better than the others so have orderd one now just have to wait the very long wait for this fabulous car roll on september /october ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had another drive with i-shift just to make sure it felt ok. As in the previous posts, you do get used to it. Anyway i have taken the plunge and ordered a 1.8 ES Nighthawk Black - delivery mid july. Not to long to wait after all. :D

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I do think the i-Shift will take some getting used to, It is very different to an Real Auto, I liken it to having a small invisible japanese man changing gear for you. ;-)

Mal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts