2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Think this might change a few minds about Brexit - the EU has decided that from 2022, all new cars are to be fitted with compulsory speed limiters that intelligently know the speed of the road from GPS and road signs and prevent the car from exceeding it. They cannot be disabled.

Essentially this means an end to all performance cars as you can never ever exceed the speed limit on any road at any time of day or night no matter how quiet or deserted even by 1mph. If you try, the ECU cuts engine power until the car is back below the limit again.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/autos/news/mandatory-speed-limiters-to-be-fitted-to-all-new-cars-in-europe-within-three-years/ar-BBTWA22

Also, cars are to have compulsory data loggers, although data logging can be turned off.

Wonder how many people are going to be killed overtaking when the car cuts the engine to prevent the speed limit being exceeded on the overtake leaving the overtaking car either on the wrong side of the road for an extended period, or trapped and unable to get past.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Unfortunately in or out the EU it won't change as car manufacturers won't do it different for each market

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm sure someone will find a way to disable it, it will prob just be software settings in the ecu. If not I will be keeping my pre 2022 car for many years

·
Administrator
20,959 Posts
Wonder how many people are going to be killed overtaking when the car cuts the engine to prevent the speed limit being exceeded on the overtake leaving the overtaking car either on the wrong side of the road for an extended period, or trapped and unable to get past.
I posted that exact scenario years ago. It's the first thing I thought of. Wonder if I can find it, it's here somewhere.

August 2016 - https://www.civinfo.com/forum/4320298-post12.html

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
How many times have you been behind a vehicle running at 38-40mph in a 50 - national limit single carriageway - with a clear road ahead, but could not overtake because you need to GO THROUGH the limit to get past safely and return within the space provided?

Years ago, it was standard practice, but with a LIMITER, there's no chance!!

Queues everywhere.

Safer?

Jury's out.

Al.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do you really think that 3 years from now this will take place?
No way.
We have roads where the signs are hardly visible (incorrect angle, incorrect placement (tree partly covering)) not to mention cases when a truck in front of you covers during driving.
So you say fallback to gps? In roads with high density gps misses many times and thinks you are on a parallel road, plus there is a need for a 100% updated map database with actual speedlimits.

There are many many factors that limits the operation of such system with such a reliability that you could connect a performance limiter.
This was a proposal from someone in some board, but others will have a lot to say against it.

And what do you think about the mixed traffic?
So my neighbour with a 18 years old junk will overtake me every time with a smile on his face?

I am pretty sure that in this form it is not going to happen in 2021.

·
Registered
50 Posts
One more quote from the "recommendation"

"The ETSC only recommends a “full on/off switch” for the limiters should be included “to aid public acceptance at introduction”, indicating it intends to push for even stricter rules in the future. While it would be possible to override the ISA by pushing hard on the accelerator, the system would be activated every time the car is started"

·
Registered
368 Posts
What a stupid idea from people who live in lala land. Not technically possible for all the reasons mentioned above.

I've tried the 10G intelligent limiter a few times. It's only use is when you can't set the cruse control because traffic keeps speeding up and slowing down (you can set ACC if you don't mind the car braking every 10 seconds). Even then it was hit and miss on very clearly signed new roads. GPS is no better, I'd like to see our cars' GPS work to begin with, let alone have the speed limits correctly updated in the system.

Now this is more like it...

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/22313/long-range-speed-cameras-launched-to-spot-offences-from-1km-away

I hate people who speed only to slow down to less than the speed limit because they know where a camera is, forcing people who are at the speed limit to slow down as well. As if doing 90 in a 100kph zone will get them a pat on the head from the camera people.

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
Haha, how to create more road chaos.... I love it when I'm on a dual carriageway in the UK, and one truck is overtaking another truck who is doing maybe 1/2mph more at 56mph, speed limit is 70mph... 20 mins later, when the "faster " limited truck gets past, I can get on with my day.

·
3,974 Posts
If it's GPS based, then there must be a database of speed changes v location. This is combined into the maps of GPS nav devices, and map makers have been notoriously tardy in updating speed limits and road layout changes.

And that's not introducing the factor of the frequency of map updates. Once per year as far as Honda is concerned, free for 5 years on a new car then paid for, hardly likely to keep speed limit data up to date especially when updates are voluntary.

AND car manufacturers are renowned in the rip off prices for their map updates when compared with the likes of TomTom and Garmin, both of whom sell devices with lifetime (free) map updates with new maps 3 or 4 times a year.

The shortcomings of speed limit recognition cameras/software has been done to death already.

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
And more to M-8's point, what about roadworks when the speed limit changes? These can pop up anytime, so only the camera tech will know this..
So maybe a GPS/camera overide?

·
i-Vtec
2,226 Posts
This will only be implemented in "Rich" EU countries though. As per the norm the EU only enforces these things on Countries that dont stand up to it. Anyway wont be our problem as as of March the 29th we are no longer part of the EU Cash Cow.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts