2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New on here due to my car having had problems that get ever worse & more serious.
As its a company car (of my choosing) I'v finally refused to drive it, details below.
sorry its a bit long
I received the vehicle in August 2006 and for approximately the first 3 months had no problems with the car.
Below is a list of the problems that have been experienced.

Most problems occur on urban roads caused by gear changes, few problems are noticed on motorways or when above 50 MPH.

Looses speed when trying to accelerate & the car changes down a gear in auto mode (particularly noticeable uphill), have lost upto 10 mph & came close to being hit form the rear by the car behind while on a dual carriage way. – most common fault

Selected reverse gear which did not engage ( dash showed R selected) until accelerator pressed, causing car to reverse suddenly at higher speed than safe. Had a car been parked close behind a collision may have occurred. Also burning smell from car. Fault occurred twice & has not re-occurred.

Delay when pulling away when on a roundabout, causing oncoming traffic to be too close ( near miss). On coming car had originally been waiting at junction to the right to join the roundabout.

Pressing accelerator pedal to drive away engine speed/rev counter has noticeable delay in responding.

“Kangaroo-ing” when in slow moving traffic.

Dealer found car would go into gear when brake pedal not pressed, no cause found & no repair made to correct.

Engine speed/Revs counter does not drop when braking to turn vehicle causing it to drive against the brakes, change down a gear, increasing in speed. Result narrowly avoided a brick wall (13-2-2007)

Braking to a standstill engine speed/rev counter dips low enough to make the car shudder ( similar to not de-clutching in a manual & near stall) then recovers & rev counter rises upto 2000 revs. Result car can be felt trying to drive while braking, requires increased braking to slow car further.

Clonking noise from under car when gear change occurs, sometimes lese audible than others. Occasionally a louder “thump” & car jerks harshly when gear change occurs.
Dealers mechanic foreman was in the car on one occasion when this occurred & agreed it shouldn’t happen.

Driving in Manual mode in usually without problem, however
Gear changes still clonk.

Burning smell coming from car on journey to & from work (12-2-2007) when pulling away from stationary car felt like clutch plate was slipping (effect same as worn out clutch in a manual car)

Car has been looked at by Honda South Ruislip 4 times. Each time they reset the software & report they cant find a fault, or don’t know what’s wrong with it.

Honda have introduced a software upgrade for the civic, but will not carry it out on vehicles that are currently registered on the road, as it changes the taxation class for the fuel emissions.

I now feel I am no longer prepared to continue driving this car ( my partner has also refused to drive it) due to the potentially serious random faults what occur while using it for work.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
NG Civic, sorry to hear about your problems.

I think you should demanded a new car months ago, under the Sale of Goods Act.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It sounds to me like you just really don't get along with the i-shift sytem. I tried it, hated it, so went for a proper manual.

That system is basically a manual with a robotic clutch and a computer which choses the gear for you. I found my left leg operates the clutch better than the Civic can, and my choice of gears was better too.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
NG Civic,

I was going to say it sounds like you are fighting against the i-Shift but reading your post again you said it was fine for the first 3 months.

It sounds to me like you have just one fault (a big one) Although everything points to the i-Shift at fault I would say it’s the DBW throttle sending ambiguous signals and the gear problems are more of a symptom that the cause. But would agree it does not sound right! And the dealer should be sorting it. As I have said on here before if your dealer is failing you take it to another one.

If it’s a Company car can you not get your Fleet Management Company involved?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the comments & help
Ruislip refused to accept the car when honda assist ( the AA) tried to deliver it, so it has gone aonther dealer. The large utility company i work for has hauled in the honda account manager for an explanation & the fleet car provider, so watch this space as they say.
I would probably have agreed with the comments on not getting on with the i shift, but when the revs go up to 2000 after dipping nearly to the point of stall with the brake pedal only pressed & the car bieng pushed forward requiring more braking then its def something else. I'm hoping they can change it for a manual.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
TC

It might be an improvement Two tone

I was going to ring for an update on mine

but why spoil the day

Geoff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crown Honda (Bushey) have discovered the "other dealer" had changed the ECU, not admitted it to me (despite me asking) & never set the car back up properly, which is why it got gradually worse.
It now drives like a new one again.
Crown also do repairs for south ruislip :rolleyes:
Big Thumbs up to Crown Honda a dealer thats competent & cares.:D :D :D

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
Now you see Geoff I realise that to go to another dealer you have even further to drive is that right ??

But this is case in point with dealers - it shouldn't be but it would appear that some of Honda's dealers ain't as good as the others as I previously mentioned we have had the same dealer for 5 + years now and haven't had cause for complaint once!!

I had to take my current CR-V in recently as it had hit a huge and I mean huge pothole which left the front suspension area with a groaning sound
I took it in one afternoon and the foreman went out with me and clearly heard the noise He put it up on the ramp but couldn't find anything wrong
- anyway to cut long story short I had to book the car in for a day and was supplied with a courtesy car (FOC I may add Phoenix still don't charge
for courtesy cars) the guys tinkered with it and since then no problems
Now that is what I call Service

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
What I am trying to say is bite the bullet and try a different
dealer - book the car in for a day - get a courtesy car and even make a day out of it !!

It could make the difference:)

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
we see

On a positive note maybe when it comes back next week it will be all fixed

brodick

If we can have updates on your car as time goes on and hopefully you will be happy

I would have bought the new crv because the spec is just what i wanted

But I will never buy a new model until its a least 2 years old

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
Well I hope so Geoff - if not then try another dealer ( you never know)

I am taking a small risk buying the new CR-V and Expect to have a
couple of problems - as it is all new ( if I don't I will be over the moon)

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
lots of miles

my nearest other dealer is 35 miles away so thats a 70 mile round trip court loan cars are not always available if thats the case mu wifes got to come and pick me and tale me another 140 miles

I understand what you are saying but i think the dealer who i bought it from should be made to fix it

the new crv which i have tried seems very good

·
Registered
34 Posts
Isn't this a case for Honda to look at, in that they are allowing a useless dealership to mess cars & customers about - Honda like all car manufacturers are only as good as thier High Street face, so to speak?
I would write to Honda with your experiences - and no doubt there will be others. Anyway - happy motoring in the revitalised car.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Missing Tools

My car is going in on monday to have the screen removed and refitted at the same time they are going to repair the passenger seat

This will leave two outstanding faults Radio and Climate control now the dealer is not saying the faults are not there

What he is saying honda have no fixes for these faults

So I think its a case of Honda don't give a toss rather than a crap dealer

Only my thoughts though

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Honda UK's official line on all the complaints on my car are
"The dealer says its fine" according to the dealers report & wont replace it for a manual.
During a test drive with the technician he said most of the "faults" ( the slowing down & kangarooing in slow traffic) were "normal" & they all did it
I'm just lucky its a company car & am refusing to accept it back.
on the good side had an astra twin top for 2 weeks while they play with it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts