2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Looking to upgrade my stock headunit with a touch screen headunit. I've researched and seen a few double din fascia on eBay but not sure which one to get.

I already have carlink SKU 703 installed and I have the stock sat nav which I've heard makes it harder? If so in what way?

Also with the fascia upgrade there's no more climate control button so does it mean I have to blind use the temperature controls going forwards?

Lastly any recommendation on the touch screen unit to use for the civic?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm interested in this too....

I am planning a low cost upgrade, will look for a cheap surround as the OEM one will cost more than most of the components added together.

16.5cm with separate tweeters for the front and co-axial ones for the rear too.

Some utterly cheap @ss Chinese Android devices for £150 or less on eBay/Amazon...

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
The Climate control is on the instruments bit, not the dashboard bit IYSWIM, so surely that will stay? You will lose the display that shows where the air is going if you remove the factory fit screen, but IIRC I read somewhere that the done thing is to replace the LCD display (the one that shows the time and a/c temp) with the wider, narrower one from an S or ES so you get something like this (from this thread - My install - Double DIN - Done! :))

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the post, it's helpful. Can anyone confirm if 135£ is a good labour price to fit a new head unit?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And it would be good to get someone's opinion on which head unit to use and if it enhances the audio quality?

·
Super Moderator
1,949 Posts
Is that to replace one or remove original and put one in?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To remove the old and put in a new Android touch screen 🙂

I just saw this on eBay, 2 Din Radio Fascia Panel Dash Trim Mount Kit Frame For Honda Civic Right Drive | eBay

If I bought this, all I need to do is buy a double din touch screen unit and plug them all together right?

Thinking to have a go at this but I'm just concerned about:

A) I have a Xcarlink Bluetooth module setup

B) EX version with built in sat nav

Does this mean it will make it it alot harder?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Don't think that kit will work, you need the connect2 kit, it's about £100 on ebay for the kit and fascia. Then you need the double din and a replacement small screen from a non sat nav model. It's an easy enough job i imagine if you take it slow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers, I was planning to get the connect 2 adaptor and the fascia from China as it's cheaper so it works out around 80 GBP.

Regarding the screen replacement, why is this needed? I can't find any links to this on here.

·
Registered
254 Posts
There's talk on here the Chinese fascias suck hard. OEM is best but they are most of the price of a cheap Android Head unit.

You'll need to upgrade the speakers too as the standard ones are diabolical.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just read up on the old posts regarding changing head unit on the EX models, sounds like an absolute ball ache. I'm going to stick with my xcarlink and try and see if there's a way to improve the sound quality to match the CD player i.e. more bass etc

·
Registered
254 Posts
Don't know exactly how far 16.5cm speakers can go in terms of sound quality but that's as far as I'll go. No subs etc for me...

I'll see how things go as my Civic is meant to be a shoestring car, not having an expensive ICE system in it! I've mused semi decent speakers a double DIN Android and the various bits will be £500+...

·
Super Moderator
1,949 Posts
Thanks for the post, it's helpful. Can anyone confirm if 135£ is a good labour price to fit a new head unit?
As you day this is to remove original Honda and put in a new double DIN i would say it is okay.
There is a lot of work involved in getting the old unit out - I would check that whoever you are using has done one before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts