2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

my ex cdti failed MOT yesterday on 4.1.4 c - headlamp light source and lamp not compatible

i'm told this is because HID/Led are failed if retro fitted...

however i've had this car since 2013 and passed every MOT since on lightning, no bulbs/lights have ever been changed

i'm sure they're factory standard on this model so therefore should pass?

i believe the tester has made a mistake/misinterpreted the guidance......what do you guys think?

·
i-Vtec
4,323 Posts
Does your car have one of these on the right hand side of the dash, near the cluster? And assuming it has headlight washers? There is a form you can fill in to make an appeal on the failure, but did you not try arguing your case at the time?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no don't have that switch but do have the washers,

i will argue it with them when i take it back for retest with a few other bits i need to do

·
i-Vtec
4,323 Posts
Without the adjuster, but without seeing your car, your car has factory HIDS. It may be that because the Gen8 has reflector HID headlights that it is throwing the Tester, he may be expecting an elliptical Len Headlight but simply looking at the rear of the headlight unit there is a bright orange High Voltage Warning sticker which should help him.
Just go back and ask for an appeals form, that should make them sit up and take note, they wont want VOSA looking at them.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,556 Posts
Also, as it's the EX then HID's were standard kit.

·
Registered
Type R FN2 facelift LSD
51 Posts
Apologies I’ve just read the original post properly. I get what your saying now. they are trying to say they are not factory standard on your model. If you’ve got headlight washer jets and a level sensor on either the front control arm passenger side or one on the rear beam then there shouldn’t be a problem. Go to another test centre.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
It wasn’t failed because the main/high beam or sides lights was it? You might have led replacements that haven’t been picked up before.

I’ve had cars fail one year on LED sides for example and pass others

So Check they definitely failed you on the dipped beam first as if they did they made a mistake yes.

·
Super Moderator
2,901 Posts
It wasn’t failed because the main/high beam or sides lights was it? You might have led replacements that haven’t been picked up before.

I’ve had cars fail one year on LED sides for example and pass others

So Check they definitely failed you on the dipped beam first as if they did they made a mistake yes.
The MOT regs only mention LED/HID replacement of halogen headlights.
So as there is no mention of side lights or rear lights etc they cannot fail you on those.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
As Davels mentions, check the main beam. If they have been converted to HID, then it will correctly fail.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
I’ve def had fails for led side but good to know. All my rears are led and never had an issue. That take it back to an issue with the main beam or a confused tester lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just joined the forum to confirm I too have had MOT failure based on this march 2021 rule change.

Mine is a 1.8 petrol in sports trim, which no one seemed to even realise existed. They came with HIDs alongside EX trim

Like you, my car was HID from factory and the MOT centre didn't believe me. Claimed it was a HID conversion.

Unfortunately the missus overruled what I was saying, and paid for the installation of new halogen headlight.

I've got my original headlights, I've got my original user manual clearly showing HID D2R bulbs are required, and I've got a Honda parts list to clearly show it is genuine and OEM fitted.

I'm hoping honda will put it into writing for us.

I'll let you what the MOT place says.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what was it specifically that made them think they were a conversion?

i'm going back to my garage today to argue my case and try and get them to correct their mistake!

·
Registered
8 Posts
what was it specifically that made them think they were a conversion?

i'm going back to my garage today to argue my case and try and get them to correct their mistake!

Your guess is as good as mine.

I tried to get them to explain 5 times separately yesterday, and I've requested it clearly in writing today.

So far we've had no explanation beyond "because we say so".

I'm guessing the fact it's a reflector not a projector is throwing them. But they actually removed both my headlight units in full, including cables to the ballast, and still reckon it's a conversion (which makes me realise I need a new garage even putting this issue aside)

Good luck with your garage. Let us know how you get on.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,556 Posts
Sounds like you need to get a Honda franchise to do future MOT's as they will know what's standard.

I'd be getting them to refit the HID's as they are a lot brighter and, presumably you don't have the halogen vertical light adjuster switch on the dash.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts