2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ah sorry to hear mate how far did you get anyway?! i'm thinking is it worth all the hassle i.e. buy a radio / clock display on top of the connect2 kit / fascia and a new head unit..

i mean i have a xcarlink bluetooth but it just sounds very flat but when i play CDs the sound and bass is great :(

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah, had my honda from new 2007, after purchase discovered although the dash looked futuristic for the time the electronics behind where ancient, other cars at the time had much newer kit, I was blinded by the style :)

Anyway, within the first 6 months worked out how to connect my iPhone sound with a Y cable, then added Bluetooth, so on.

When I go to the point of wanting an up to date double din with car play, easy enough on a none sat-nav, but the EX, just to much hassle, threw in the towel.

Unless someone has a working step by step guide, I'm out.

Oh, and you are right, CD sounds great, aux in through Y cable is pants.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
There is a video on how to remove the original head unit floating around on this forum. Putting the new head unit in isn't difficult as it just slots in to the space the original took. As for the clock/display.

The central cover will be removed anyway, as you take it off in the process of removing the original headunit. Just use a long screwdriver to reach the tabs at the back and it will pop off in seconds (the person in the video struggled because they didn't use a screwdrive to reach the back tabs). Once that is off, it is two screws/bolts and the unit pulls out. Unclip the connection, clip it into your new screen, push in and fit the two screws/bolts. And your done.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
There is a video on how to remove the original head unit floating around on this forum. Putting the new head unit in isn't difficult as it just slots in to the space the original took. As for the clock/display.

The central cover will be removed anyway, as you take it off in the process of removing the original headunit. Just use a long screwdriver to reach the tabs at the back and it will pop off in seconds (the person in the video struggled because they didn't use a screwdrive to reach the back tabs). Once that is off, it is two screws/bolts and the unit pulls out. Unclip the connection, clip it into your new screen, push in and fit the two screws/bolts. And your done.
Unfortunately not on an EX mate, if you did that you would lose your air conditioning, it's all controlled through the built-in sat nav!

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Unfortunately not on an EX mate, if you did that you would lose your air conditioning, it's all controlled through the built-in sat nav!
That's why you are fitting the none sat nav clock display? The climate temp etc will be displayed on it through the connect2 kit?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think you're right Casper. So just to clarify to get the head unit changed you'll need:

New double din head unit ( screen size maximum 7 inches )
Fascia
Display clock from a non EX
Connect 2 kit

This doesn't seem too bad if it's just the above?

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I think you're right Casper. So just to clarify to get the head unit changed you'll need:

New double din head unit ( screen size maximum 7 inches )
Fascia
Display clock from a non EX
Connect 2 kit

This doesn't seem too bad if it's just the above?
I believe that is all that is needed. I have an EX myself and looked into a while back. I just couldn't justify spending the best part of £400-£500 quid on a car that is worth, maybe 3k? I would rather budget that to repairs, such as a new clutch just in case.

The signal is different in the EX display, and the connect2 kit doesn't understand it, and so cant output the temp to the display. The kit understands the non sat nav screen signal from what I understood of the discussion, hence you get the current temp displayed when you use a non sat nav display. I think some people have used it without changing the clock screen over as I guess you can live without knowing the exact cabin temperature, just stick your hand in front of the blower and adjust! :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
I believe that is all that is needed. I have an EX myself and looked into a while back. I just couldn't justify spending the best part of £400-£500 quid on a car that is worth, maybe 3k? I would rather budget that to repairs, such as a new clutch just in case.
That's the issue I'd have if I changed the ICE in my car... It's a battered old 1.8 commuting shopping trolley worth barely £1500. I'd have to drop about £500+ on 4 good speakers a double DIN Android device, a fascia and all the relevant cables.

The way I see it tho, you'd be using the car with the improved sound system and that's where your money is being spent. Can always remove the stereo and speakers if you get rid of the car as they can fit in something else.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
On the EX is it possible to fit an amp, sub, new speakers etc to the stock head unit or would that not work?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts