2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I bought my 58 plate fn2 few weeks ago. I reported a rattling sound to the dealer when I bought it and it's been in the garage 3 times to have it looked at but it's still not been resolved. When driving, between 1.5-2k revs there is a loud rattling sound from the exhaust near the mid silencer to the rear right exhaust pipe. The left side isn't as bad, but still noticeable. When idling if I put my head to it I can hear a sort of pulsing from the manifold to the mid silencer, I assume it's normal but it is fair loud. It's just had an MOT with no advisories so there shouldn't be any leaks, but I remain doubtful.

So far it's had 2 drop links in (don't know why they thought that would solve it as it's an exhaust problem but I won't complain) and the heat shield has been moved away from the exhaust as they thought it was rattling against that. That didn't work either.

Now, the dealer is saying that the noise is the baffles in the exhaust. I haven't actually heard about baffles before so I'm not sure if that is a possible explanation. Just wanted to get some further opinions. Would there be any affect on performance? Would it affect reliability somehow? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
While I started the thread I may as well ask something else too. I was giving it the beans on a country road yesterday and the person behind me said they smelt a strong and bad smell from my car. I've never noticed a smell before from the car. Even when I stopped shortly after that I couldn't smell anything, not even oil. I even hit VTEC then went round a roundabout to have a sniff but nothing. I doubt it would be brakes but I'm not sure.

Any ideas on this?

·
4,773 Posts
Have you tried banking the boxes to see if it rattles?
Why don't you think it was the brakes? Were you not using the brakes whilst you were "giving it beans on a country road "?

·
Super Moderator
3,373 Posts
The baffles are tubes and plates inside the silencer boxes that muffle some of the sound.
These are usually welded in place and the welds can break or rust out over time making the internals rattle about.
Hence M8 suggesting a good banging to see if they do. It could also be one of the various heat shields along the exhaust system or perhaps one of the exhaust hangers/brackets that has come away. A good thump might show these up as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried banking the boxes to see if it rattles?
Why don't you think it was the brakes? Were you not using the brakes whilst you were "giving it beans on a country road "?
Thank you for your reply. I know what brakes smell like and as I pulled up shortly after I'm sure I would have smelt them, even slightly. But I was told it was a strong smell lasting a mile or 2.

I'll go out and try whacking it see if I can hear anything out the ordinary.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The baffles are tubes and plates inside the silencer boxes that muffle some of the sound.
These are usually welded in place and the welds can break or rust out over time making the internals rattle about.
Hence M8 suggesting a good banging to see if they do. It could also be one of the various heat shields along the exhaust system or perhaps one of the exhaust hangers/brackets that has come away. A good thump might show these up as well.
Thank you for your reply and the information, that's cleared things up for me. I'll try knocking some places around the exhaust system to see if I can find the area causing the noise.

·
Super Moderator
3,373 Posts
If the car hadn't been used much before you got it and gave it some welly it is possible that the smell was the cat getting cleaned out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the car hadn't been used much before you got it and gave it some welly it is possible that the smell was the cat getting cleaned out.
I was thinking that. But, I've had the car for a few weeks and I've given it beans a few times. I might have to give it beans for a while or just stay in VTEC then recruit someone to drive behind me to see if it still happens. Only thing I can think of at the moment. But as I said I've never noticed it, it was just the in-laws behind me saying they smelt a really strong smell.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
i could have just been a smell in air the at the place you were driving, like past a sewage works

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found the reason behind the rattle. The guy that sold it to me said he would get it welded for me when it's next in because he's finding an AC compressor as mines bust. While I'm here, anyone selling an AC compressor 🤣

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i could have just been a smell in air the at the place you were driving, like past a sewage works
Another thing I was thinking but it was near the Ribble head viaduct. I'll have to do some more testing to see it it happens again. Thanks for your suggestion.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Maybe the smell was oil burn when in VTEC. Though standard I think they're ok.
Mine stinks buts its got a 4-2-1 manifold with no cat

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe the smell was oil burn when in VTEC. Though standard I think they're ok.
Mine stinks buts its got a 4-2-1 manifold with no cat
Yea that was my first thought. Not too worried about it at the moment. There's no smoke or anything coming from the exhaust in VTEC so it could be because it's been idle for a few months before I bought it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
my used used to smell when I rev it a lot. After some research i found that it's coming from the cat. Installed a 4-2-1 headers and it's all gone

1 - 17 of 17 Posts