2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving the car tonight and i heard a clunk like sound and when i stopped and left it idling i heard a hollow rattling sound.

Turns out it was the heat shield on the last back box (the one where the rear wheels are) before the pipes split off into the 2 seperate mufflers (sorry if the description is poor).

Anyway can this a) be taken off and left off without any worry (im doubtful) or b) can it be replaced or put back in place without a full new exhaust?

Cheers for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Hi buddy, is the piece broken above or below your exhaust back box, plus what is your registration and I can look up the parts for your car specifically.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,275 Posts
Some have taken it off without ill effect.

Just check for any local wiring before fully removing. I'd personally replace even if just from a scrapper for a piece of mind

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi buddy, is the piece broken above or below your exhaust back box, plus what is your registration and I can look up the parts for your car specifically.

It was the piece above, the heatshiled between the back box and the floor. Cars just 59 plate fn2 GT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Could just ditch the heat shields and wrap the exhaust with ceramic fibre? That's the way I'm going, I find the heat shields rattle far too much.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Yes ditch the heats held, eurocar parts sell exhaust wrap which does exactly the same thing plus it will protect both sides of the silencer if you go over rough ground. Don't forget discount code FORUMCIVINFO if you do go with euro car parts.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Had the same problem on my 2.2, left hand side of the shield was resting on the box causing a new, louder rattle.

Fixed it by removing the existing bolt and washer, added a bigger washer, and put it all back to hold the shield in place. Took the other side bolt off and added a washer there too as it looked like it'd give eventually.

Easy job once the car was on jacks

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I also done the bigger washer fix with mine, lasted about a month then failed. The area around the bolt holes was corroded so I ended up just taking it out completely. It's been about 2 months now and no issues, I will eventually replace it when I get round to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts