2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would there be any long-term issues with removing the rear one above the silencer?

Basically mine has dropped of the mounting point at one side and it is vibrating against the silencer.

It is rather annoying and I am tempted to just rip it off like I did on my last 2 cars when the same thing happened, just want to double check first.

Thanks All.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That part of the exhaust does not get that hot to damage areas of the cars underfloor due to heat. Its also mainly for keeping the heat away from the cabin. Its not that warm in the uk so you will probs not feel any issues if you remove it. I took mine of ages ago and been fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The exhaust heatshield at the rear had also recently broken free of the fixing bolts on my 1.8 and rattling at certain revs. I took it to a main exhaust / tyre type dealer - viewing underneath showed where the shield had broken off the fixing bolts. The place tried to remove the bolts to add larger washers to hold it, but each bolt head sheared off so they removed the full shield. They advised this is ok to do. To access the fixing bolts, they had to drop the exhaust down, so don't know if the shield can be removed without doing that.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I had mine removed years ago and haven't had an issue, the garage that removed mine said they do a couple a week it's that common.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Can I check that this is the heatshield mentioned above. Mine was rattling like crazy last week, and more or less came off without any effort.

Will it be fine to leave it off, or will I need a new one? The bolt holes have sheared pretty bad to the point that I don't think a washer would suffice.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had the same issue with mine a couple of weeks ago, when I spoke to the garage over the phone he said we had a number of options but all depended on the condition of heat shield.

1. To remove the heat shield completely.
2. To use some oversized washers and bolt it back in.
3. Could possibly tag welded it place.

Took it in the garage the next day and upon inspection the heat shield was hanging on its last bolt. Option 2 was a no go as 2 of the 3 holes were too large.

After a long chat I decided to have it removed completely. I've Been driving it since with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts