2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I suspect my exhaust manifold is cracked, heard it's a common fault for these engines, and the warranty is meant to cover it even though mine is far out of date, would honda still change it? Seems as it's a common fault? Did they have a recall for this? Sorry for all the questions

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you farqui, I have tried a Google search, no good I was hoping someone who has experienced the same situation could point me in the right direction

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Yes its a fairly common fault.

No there wasn't a recall.

Some dealers accommodate a repair with Honda regardless of mileage, age, FSH. Others don't.

Premier Tuning will take off your cracked manifold, weld it up and reinstall for around £200-£250.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I rang my local honda dealer today and they asked me ether to book it in pay for the inspection and see what they can offer (basically I would be walking in blind, which I don't want to do) or they said to give them my chassis number and see if there was any work meant to be done such as recall or common faults or something?

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Hi Connor,
My exhaust manifold was cracked and letting in diesel fumes through the cabin.
I emailed Honda UK and explained that having a 2 year old in a car with diesel fumes was a no-no and that I'd heard it was a common problem. (It wasn't a recall, they waited for customers to have the fault before replacing with a single manifold unit, as opposed to the original 2 piece manifold which cracks along the weld. Cheap way of keeping a reputation?)
Anyway, they replied agreeing it was not good, and even though my car was 8.5 years old (2006) and well out of the extended 7 year warranty for this, I should get in touch with local honda dealer.
I then forwarded this email to 2 local dealers who asked for car reg, my details etc, which I emailed them, and one dealer said not covered anymore by warranty, but I could pay £650 for replacement(!).
Fortunately, the other honda dealer (Ashford, Kent) told me they'd explained situation to honda uk and secured a replacement, at no cost to me!

Took it in for a day, got it done and all sorted. :)

(But now, a leaking injector is giving me that familiar diesel aroma again!)

If I were you, try a few local honda dealers after emailing head office first. Your avatar looks like you have a little one, use that as damn good reason to get sorted, but keep it nice but firm.

Good luck!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Connor,
My exhaust manifold was cracked and letting in diesel fumes through the cabin.
I emailed Honda UK and explained that having a 2 year old in a car with diesel fumes was a no-no and that I'd heard it was a common problem. (It wasn't a recall, they waited for customers to have the fault before replacing with a single manifold unit, as opposed to the original 2 piece manifold which cracks along the weld. Cheap way of keeping a reputation?)
Anyway, they replied agreeing it was not good, and even though my car was 8.5 years old (2006) and well out of the extended 7 year warranty for this, I should get in touch with local honda dealer.
I then forwarded this email to 2 local dealers who asked for car reg, my details etc, which I emailed them, and one dealer said not covered anymore by warranty, but I could pay £650 for replacement(!).
Fortunately, the other honda dealer (Ashford, Kent) told me they'd explained situation to honda uk and secured a replacement, at no cost to me!

Took it in for a day, got it done and all sorted. :)

(But now, a leaking injector is giving me that familiar diesel aroma again!)

If I were you, try a few local honda dealers after emailing head office first. Your avatar looks like you have a little one, use that as damn good reason to get sorted, but keep it nice but firm.

Good luck!
Well thanks a lot woogade I will start contacting them tomorrow, seems as it's a little late in the day now, but I will definitely try to get it out of them, oh and when did this happen with your car?

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Happened 3 weeks ago, was tempted to go straight to local dealer but I thought it best to go through proper channels in writing ( or at least emails, to provide some evidence trail) this also helped when forwarding my original email reply from honda head office, saying it wasn't good to have fumes in the car with little one.
I just gave the local dealers all the info they wanted (by email) and asked if they could help. Didn't even have to prove the full service history I told them I had ( which I do!).
Car has done 95k and is 2006. Worked for me. Shop around, try a few further afield, it may just pay off.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
This is the honda uk email address I emailed first off.

(Hope this works - some links may not be allowed in forum)

[email protected]

Tell them about your fault, ask how they can help, they will probably reply in a day or so with a link to local dealers and a generic apology saying sorry you are experiencing a fault etc.

Then just email a few local dealers (forwarding the email from honda uk) and adding the fault yet again and seeing if they can help.

They'll probably say they can but it'll cost you, but you might also be lucky if you hang on a few days for all of them to get back to you.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Same thing happened to mine took it to the honda dealer in Newcastle. who sorted out honda getting it replaced and paid for by them. Mines a 2006 with 107k on all I had to do was show my service book.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same thing happened to mine took it to the honda dealer in Newcastle. who sorted out honda getting it replaced and paid for by them. Mines a 2006 with 107k on all I had to do was show my service book.
Was this recent? And I need to get onto this tomorrow by the sounds of it they're doing it free for everyone

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Cripes, stealers prices are shocking

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,168 Posts
Yea my lass had a load off people carriers lined up to part ex civic for if honda didn't do it
Phew! You dodged a bullet there!

That's the equivalent of the VW Beetle following the Top Gear team.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts