2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Was making good progress until it started raining cats and dogs.

Turbo is in, left banjo is being a nightmare for lining up with the hole, might have to loosen turbo again and replace the nuts, however it'll be last resort. :censored:

Subframe is ready for re-installation, got a nice tube of silicone grease for my subframe bushings.

Oh yeah struts are out ready for replacement, already began rebuilding the drivers side, but it has a cracked bushing sadly, so will be ordering new one tomorrow morning. Should only be a parts merchants job, bit of luck they'll have one on the shelf or in by the afternoon for me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I honestly think for what they are, they're a hugely versatile car.
They are well built, but the newer ones have issues with oil consumption etc. I'd research the engines and years that have issues prior to buying if I was in the market for a new one.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
As for update little to report. As per usual awaiting parts, this time for my front strut from Parkers, which is in tomorrow first thing in the morning.

Passenger side banjo is now installed, all top of engine pipes are reinstalled, need to grab a new jubilee for the heater core pipe, I prefer the pliers ones as the bolt ones don't hold the pipe if it changes shape in the future and starts a leak.

Tomorrow if it isn't raining I should be able to do the whole car in one swoop. Then tracking on Monday and it's fully complete, ready for another 100K miles. I won't be driving it until the tracking is done. The front tyres have <5000 miles on them, I'll be fuming if they wore down. Bad tracking will wear them to near cords in about 150 miles.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Struts are 90% complete, just need to tighten the middle bolt properly when the subframe is back in.

The manifold heat shield is being an absolute pain the backside.

Loosen the bolts off to manoeuvre it to get the top turbo bolt and it won't move enough to get the bolt. Remove the bolts entirely and the heat shield never lines back up with the bolt holes.

Will conquer on with it tomorrow, if it doesn't play ball I'll take the turbo off remove the heat shield and cut the bit around the top turbo bolt out with an angle grinder.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Struts are 90% complete, just need to tighten the middle bolt properly when the subframe is back in.

The manifold heat shield is being an absolute pain the backside.

Loosen the bolts off to manoeuvre it to get the top turbo bolt and it won't move enough to get the bolt. Remove the bolts entirely and the heat shield never lines back up with the bolt holes.

Will conquer on with it tomorrow, if it doesn't play ball I'll take the turbo off remove the heat shield and cut the bit around the top turbo bolt out with an angle grinder.
Because i have the cast manifold my heat shield had to be butchered to fit too. The cast is slightly thicker and the studs had to be longer as a result to give a safe amount for the nuts to turn as they were slightly short sitting in place a nightmare

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
You mean the studs which hold the heat shield Neil or the studs holding the manifold to the head?

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you buy the cast manifold get the one that comes with studs nuts and gasket kit as mine didn’t and the standard studs in the engine were short and had to be replaced. Hold on thinking about it the guy that fitted it fetched me in to see that the turbo sat lower so it was the turbo to manifold studs that were replaced sorry thus the heat shielding having problems with longer studs sticking out. Sorry its been a year and age is catching up with me

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Because i have the cast manifold my heat shield had to be butchered to fit too. The cast is slightly thicker and the studs had to be longer as a result to give a safe amount for the nuts to turn as they were slightly short sitting in place a nightmare
You sure you didn't accidentally get an Accord manifold?
My turbo etc lines up perfectly, no need to bend any mounts etc. Just the heat shield, you have to cut the top bolt part of the heat shield out and a little lip around the precat part of the turbo on the right.

You 100% need an extra pair of hands under the car in order to install the turbo, the banjo's need manipulating into place, especially the left one. Very complex if the turbo is bolted down tight! You need to install the oil return feed at the same time as mounting the turbo up to the exhaust manifold.

Heat shield is complete, had to remove the turbo in order to achieve this, and redo all the banjo torques etc. Misplaced a pipe from the turbo, once that's found it's ready for smoke testing and a little fire up to check for leaks. Then subframe installation and it's ready to go in for tracking.
Had a good look around the place I'm doing the job, to no avail. Perhaps left it at home will have to have a good look around.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You sure you didn't accidentally get an Accord manifold?
My turbo etc lines up perfectly, no need to bend any mounts etc. Just the heat shield, you have to cut the top bolt part of the heat shield out and a little lip around the precat part of the turbo on the right.

You 100% need an extra pair of hands under the car in order to install the turbo, the banjo's need manipulating into place, especially the left one. Very complex if the turbo is bolted down tight! You need to install the oil return feed at the same time as mounting the turbo up to the exhaust manifold.

Heat shield is complete, had to remove the turbo in order to achieve this, and redo all the banjo torques etc. Misplaced a pipe from the turbo, once that's found it's ready for smoke testing and a little fire up to check for leaks. Then subframe installation and it's ready to go in for tracking.
Had a good look around the place I'm doing the job, to no avail. Perhaps left it at home will have to have a good look around.
No Lukey
It was an ebay cheap cast manifold and they are cast slightly thicker than the standard manifold and the turbo sat slightly out and down than on the Honda manifold and they only have two bolt holes for the heat shield instead of three but are for the civic. If I remember rightly it was only £70 and a brand new manifold so cost cutting obviously done somewhere and i would buy a used or reworked original if i did it again but for now it seems ok and the turbo is my main concern at the minute and i have a few of the extras now such as gaskets and droplinks and anti roll bar bushes ( I thought I might aswell change these if im taking the subframe off) just got to get fluids and banjo washers now

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
No Lukey
It was an ebay cheap cast manifold and they are cast slightly thicker than the standard manifold and the turbo sat slightly out and down than on the Honda manifold and they only have two bolt holes for the heat shield instead of three but are for the civic. If I remember rightly it was only £70 and a brand new manifold so cost cutting.
Oh, no wonder you had struggles with fitting. I had a cheap eBay manifold on my old Fiesta. Never again. I had to modify it to fit, I had to drill the exhaust bolt holes and then it kept blowing anyway. Never again will I buy cheap exhaust parts from eBay. Unless it's used original from a scrap yard or something.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yup big mistake, apparently Honda did an updated manifold to solve this very problem of cracking manifolds as they’re a mix of cast and hard steel welded together which cracked on almost every mk8 by the posts on here. Anyway it was a full cast manifold with only two bolt fixing and a different heat shield and these cheap manifolds are patterned off the update one so the heat shield would never fit and you can’t buy the update shield

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
I think even the Honda cast manifold only has two fixing points for the heat shield. Could be wrong but I seem to recall that is the case.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think even the Honda cast manifold only has two fixing points for the heat shield. Could be wrong but I seem to recall that is the case.
Yes that's what I said but you can't buy the heat shield with two bolt holes to put on the cheap manifold because it only comes as a package with the manifold from honda

Sent from my Bush10Nou using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
I couldn't find a new manifold heat shield listed for the cast iron manifold. I'd just butcher it with an angle grinder anyway, it makes very little difference removing the top bolt hole of the turbo out of the heat shield.
So long as the heat shield is on top of the manifold it should be fine, or it could possibly melt the clutch fluid lines.

The end is in sight on the job, drive shaft is back in, manifold is completely in. The heat shields I never needed to remove are back in.

Just got to fill the gearbox up tomorrow and fire her up. I haven't even got the precat in yet, but I'll be seeing if there's any leaks now before I put the subframe back in. If all is OK, I'll put the cat's in and the subframe. Then it's ready to go for tracking most probably be in for tracking on Thursday or Friday if I'm realistic.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Well, only one bolt holding up the subframe going in.

Very stupidly, I've lost the bolt to the bottom warm up catalytic converter bracket. The one that goes into the block, which you can only access with the subframe out. Luckily £2.40 bolt and it's on order from Honda. I ordered it on Thursday at 17:25, it'll be ready for collection from tomorrow morning first thing.

I've ran the engine for about 5-10 minutes, all appears fine in terms of leaks there are none. I've also pressure tested the coolant for leaks, and I've smoke tested my turbo the day I installed all the intercooler pipe working.

Hopefully be complete tomorrow and ready for tracking on Monday, if we aren't in a full blown lockdown.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Nice work Lukey.

I have ordered all the bits I think I need - gaskets, nuts, washers etc. Got a week off at Easter and hope to start on it. Only concern is being able to go out and pick any other bits up I may need.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
Nice work Lukey.

I have ordered all the bits I think I need - gaskets, nuts, washers etc. Got a week off at Easter and hope to start on it. Only concern is being able to go out and pick any other bits up I may need.
Yeah, this virus pandemic is a right blight. I'm steering well clear of people and my elderly relatives, they're all I care about. Personally I couldn't care if I caught it, it's just I know if I pass it to my elderly father with a serious heart condition or my grandmother it's a death sentence.

This quarantine could last another 12-13 months, due to vaccines needing testing. And the virus could mutate and need a new vaccine, another 18 months wait. I won't even start about the morons clearing the supermarkets out. :censored: :censored:

In all I've probably spent about five days so far working on the car. And I've had to change other stuff on the car and mess around removing and redoing stuff. I spent time trying to force the manifold heat shield fit, then realised it needed modifying, and couldn't find anywhere on the internet to even mention the need to do it.

Clear weather with an extra pair of hands and all the gaskets and seals, with no other complications (I found parts needing changing such as struts.) I could probably do it in three days with ease. I messed around for probably two days seeing if I could do it without dropping the subframe. Then rained off etc, nothing worse than working in the rain under a car and having the rain drip down the engine bay into your face. I actually have a chill or cold from being in the rain the other day.

But mine was important, due to blown turbo. I've also figured out mine is remapped, so a remap + split manifold probably blew the turbo. The split manifold makes the turbo work harder, apparently.
Be interesting to see how it comes on boost now. It was hit and miss most times, it'd feel really quick then hit the power a different time in about 3rd or 4th and it'd feel gutless like it had no turbo.

Once my car is done I'm in isolation as much as I can, so will have plenty of time to do my how to, which will be picture heavy and show you how to modify your heat shields.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts