2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Can you get two nuts on it to tighten together then back the bottom one off thus removing it If not just keep soaking it and there’s always mole grips at the last option though
Not enough stud to get 2 full nuts on it so I bought some half thickness nuts. I put a fair bit of pressure on them after heating the manifold with a blowtorch, I was worried about the stud snapping again.

Worst case I will drill it out and retap the manifold. Going with the penetrating oil and heat first. If that fails I have a stud extractor which is a bit like a drill chuck which I can use an impact gun. That does risk snapping the stud which is when the drill comes out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My locking nut key never arrived so looks like another delay. I might just do it in the easter hols and double check everything plus gives me more time to shop for new stuff

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
So I had a go at shifting the broken stud in my replacement exhaust manifold today. Been spraying penetrating oil all week to try and loosen it up.

So initially tried the 2 nuts locked together to try and remove it but it stripped the threads in the nuts.

Then tried the stud extractor with and impact gun which only succeeded in snapping the stud level with the manifold.

So out with the drill bits and I managed to drill it pretty central getting gradually larger with the drills until I could start to see (just) the threads in the manifold. At this point used a pick to extract the remains of the stud, before running a well greased tap through the threads.

Beware of buying a secondhand manifold with a broken stud as they really are well stuck in. One of the three studs has a blind hole and fortunately that wasn’t the one which had snapped on mine, so I could drill straight through the stud. It was worth my time as I only paid £11 for the manifold.

Hopefully the photos come through ok.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
It was worth doing.

Just something to note for anyone who tries similar in the future, the studs are pretty tough to drill out (don't think they are stainless, but not sure). I have a pretty decent set of cobalt drill bits but it was still tough going to get through the stud. I suspect many heat cycles have hardened the metal.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts