2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an attempt to get the temp down in my engine bay, and quiet down my manifold I am goung to wrap my exhaust manifold next week.

Got some thermo tec wrap on the way. Will wrap the whole manifold.

Anyone else done this! What did they think of the results?

·
aka Colin
10,854 Posts
why do you want to quiet down the sound of your manifold ash? the toda you have sounds lovely, and to add to that, the hks rsk is quite loud also, seems a bit strange mate. id definately think about getting the manifold zirtec coated, but i wouldnt want to loose the sound.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
what makes de noise is the exhaust (muffler), not the manifold.

but is good to cool down the engine bay temperature.

After you aply the wrap it will make some smoke, but it's not burning.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dont think ill loose the sound completely. just sounds bit tinny. the heatshield might be rattling against it also. Will find out next week when i take it out.

Sound is down to preference really. wife hates it!

you have to agree getting temps down is never a bad idea.

Im removing the hks rsk Colin.

·
aka Colin
10,854 Posts
totally agree with keeping the temps down ash mate, but i did hear that the toda takes a little time to bed in, so might not be so tinny in a month or so.
i just seen your post about getting the mugen induction, lottery win or bank robbery..lol
fair play mate, your going down the charger route then?

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what makes de noise is the exhaust (muffler), not the manifold.

but is good to cool down the engine bay temperature.

After you aply the wrap it will make some smoke, but it's not burning.
i had my hks catback before toda manifold, noise started when the manifold was fitted.

thanks for the heads up on smoke. how lomg it smoke for?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
i had my hks catback before toda manifold, noise started when the manifold was fitted.

thanks for the heads up on smoke. how lomg it smoke for?
yes you removed the cat making more free flow exhaust making more sound. not the manifold that make the sound, but because it's a catless exhaust.

the smoke, some minutes

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good choice, one of the best power mods you can do on a fn2: removing the hks rsk!
Lol i knew you was going to say that Mr CAI

Thinking of it you might be right about the muffler, the cat acted as a baffle yes?

So no cat means the muffler is now being hit? correct?

What can I do about the muffler ?

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes you removed the cat making more free flow exhaust making more sound. not the manifold that make the sound, but because it's a catless exhaust.

the smoke, some minutes
can i do anything to fix that?

The sound seems like it is from the manifold area. i bet heatshield is rattling again. Me Dennis and Mat bent it out the way once to stop it, bet its bent back.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Lol i knew you was going to say that Mr CAI

Thinking of it you might be right about the muffler, the cat acted as a baffle yes?

So no cat means the muffler is now being hit? correct?

What can I do about the muffler ?
yes, probably the biggest baffle you had for sound.

not much you can do now, i recently changed my exhaust to a bigger muffler because of the sound (loud is good some times, not every time). Bigger muffler = less sound.

every exhaust will make some sound without the cat, and the muffler will go much quicker also (the inside of the muffler). So more miles, more sound.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
totally agree with keeping the temps down ash mate, but i did hear that the toda takes a little time to bed in, so might not be so tinny in a month or so.
i just seen your post about getting the mugen induction, lottery win or bank robbery..lol
fair play mate, your going down the charger route then?
No im selling my body down kings cross lol

I might get charger next year, long story.

Also getting RRC, Mugen intake. took a miss on bigger TB to avoid issues with splitting the intake pipe, plus been told bigger TB isnt needed yet at this stage.

looking for some light alloys also, you got rotas? What they weight each?
l

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
I think the Rota P1 weigh just under 8Kg per corner, which is about 4Kg or so saving on OEM 18 I think.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
20 pounds = 9 Kg.

Not sure if I would go for 17" though, sure there are pics on here of them though.

·
aka Colin
10,854 Posts
No im selling my body down kings cross lol

I might get charger next year, long story.

Also getting RRC, Mugen intake. took a miss on bigger TB to avoid issues with splitting the intake pipe, plus been told bigger TB isnt needed yet at this stage.

looking for some light alloys also, you got rotas? What they weight each?
l
thats cool mate, probably get the rrc myself at some stage, maybe later in the year. decided to stay n/a myself, pretty happy with my figures and the whole car set up is fantastic since cams and delete kit got fitted, proper shifted round spa.
yes the rota's are pretty light, 8kgs sounds about right, and there pretty cheap too matey, so win win.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
20 pounds = 9 Kg.

Not sure if I would go for 17" though, sure there are pics on here of them though.
I agree i prefer 18"

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes, probably the biggest baffle you had for sound.

not much you can do now, i recently changed my exhaust to a bigger muffler because of the sound (loud is good some times, not every time). Bigger muffler = less sound.

every exhaust will make some sound without the cat, and the muffler will go much quicker also (the inside of the muffler). So more miles, more sound.
K20A has TODA manifold TODA catback, his sounds perfect! Would changing catback help or is HKS catback as good as it gets?

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thats cool mate, probably get the rrc myself at some stage, maybe later in the year. decided to stay n/a myself, pretty happy with my figures and the whole car set up is fantastic since cams and delete kit got fitted, proper shifted round spa.
yes the rota's are pretty light, 8kgs sounds about right, and there pretty cheap too matey, so win win.
Ill look out for prices then.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 83 Posts