2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had a Milltek fitted and it sounds great. Not too loud IMO either.

With heavy throttle it has a good volume increase up to 5400 rpm vtec. Then I can't hear the tone so much in vtec. I'm not sure why, maybe because the intake vtec sound takes over, although I have oem intake so not exactly loud.

Is it because the car is moving faster and I'd only hear louder exhaust vtec from outside?

Should I wait for summer and window down sound?

·
A wizard is never late...
793 Posts
i have a solid fabrications 3 inch catback that is very loud but also get drowned out in vtec as i have a hks rsk, in my opinion induction sounds better than exhaust at high rpm anyway.

·
Enjoying life
8,512 Posts
Exhaust over intake. Is yours non res?

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah non res.

It's subjective but I don't think it's too loud. Haven't yet tried a cold start though.

Cruising or light throttle is only slightly different. Heavy throttle and low to mid revs and it sounds throaty and revvy. Then as stated vtec might be loud from outside but inside car it is harder to tell.

Doesn't drone either. Overall louder than tegiwa cat back that I had before, but that was too quiet for me.

Maybe some engine mount inserts will help the higher rev volume.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess exhaust noise in vtec for modern FN2 needs a really loud exhaust, or stripped out interior. But then it would be too loud for normal use.

On reflection I still think the Milltek non res is a nice balance.

Now looking at intake kits... Every time a mod is completed something else gets highlighted for upgrade.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,275 Posts
Milltek on OEM cat sounds about right like your description, it's pretty loud with a decat manifold, it is louder outside however (had my missus driveby as I thought the same before I fitted the ex manifold).

·
Enjoying life
8,512 Posts
Has yours been mapped Leejay? Mine is a non res with intake mod and remapped. It's quite loud but not too loud, it burbles and pops quite a bit too.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Hmmm. I always thought milltek non res was too loud for the fn2. Will have to find someone to have a listen in person

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No mapping or other engine mods, waiting to decide what to do, keep changing my mind on parts.

Volume subjective, def worth hearing it in person o you can before buying.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree, I used to have standard OEM catback section with a silencer removed and it sounded loud and raspy on VTEC, where as my newly installed Milltek Non Res is nearly silent on VTEC. From about 3,000RPM to 5,000RPM it sounds great, with nice burbles when you lay off the throttle.

After I've installed the HKS RSK though, the sound in VTEC is mad, a real mean boomy sound.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Loud open intake like HKS or a CAI definitely makes the vtec sound mad, in a good way!

It's strange that the milltek sounds quieter at high revs. Must be the same for most exhausts as FN2 is modern with good sound insulation. Also probably something to do with vtec and intake volume increasing, even on the oem intake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts