2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of days ago my car developed an annoying rattle coming from underneath which my first thought was a loose heat shield. So today (first chance I've had) I got the car up on ramps to have a look only to find all the heat shields absolutely solid. After a bit of poking around I located the issue which was the exhaust mounting bracket just behind the front axle. The welds on both sides had corroded apart all but a couple of mm's causing the bracket to vibrate against the exhaust pipe under certain revs.

So to fix the problem (temporarily at least) I pulled the bracket off from the last thread of metal that was holding it in place. Next step was to drill a couple of holes into each side of the bracket, just large enough to pass a jubilee clip through turning the 'V' shaped bracket into an 'A' if that makes sense. Then I was able to pass another larger jubilee clip through the middle of the 'A' and around the exhaust tube and tighten the whole thing back up, pulling the bracket in tight against the exhaust and stopping it vibrating. Yay!

At some point I will get it properly welded back in place but for now hopefully this will do the trick. Sorry no pictures, I was going to take some but completely forgot to until I'd already taken the car off the ramps.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts