2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
basically upgraded my bulbs at the weekend and unfortunately one of my dipped beam bulbs exploded. Half way through my 4 hour journey in the dark, cheers for that lol, drivers side aswell, safe to say it was an emotional journey.

Anyone got any ideas of how to get the broken bits of bulb out the headlight without removing the headlight cluster? heard it's a ballache and you have to drop the front bumper which I really don't wanna do. I'm thinking poking around in there with a wire coat hangar with loads of strong tape attached and slowly fishing each piece out haha, but then again don't wanna minimalise scratching the inside of the light.

Black Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting Light

Cheers!

·
Banned
7,705 Posts
basically upgraded my bulbs at the weekend and unfortunately one of my dipped beam bulbs exploded. Half way through my 4 hour journey in the dark, cheers for that lol, drivers side aswell, safe to say it was an emotional journey.

Anyone got any ideas of how to get the broken bits of bulb out the headlight without removing the headlight cluster? heard it's a ballache and you have to drop the front bumper which I really don't wanna do. I'm thinking poking around in there with a wire coat hangar with loads of strong tape attached and slowly fishing each piece out haha, but then again don't wanna minimalise scratching the inside of the light.

View attachment 99265

Cheers!
That's incredible mate, bulbs aren't supposed to explode that easily and early.

Where did you buy them from?

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Easier just to take the whole unit out tbh, wonder if a dyson would work?
What kind of bulbs were they to explode, cheap ones or premium Philips?

·
Behold my baked Goodness
63 Posts
really wondering which bulbs where used never had a bulb explode before

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Oil on the bulb would cause them to burn out faster but to blow need a better picture to see real damage done to bulb.

needs either a huge surge or being doused in cold water while they have been on for a while

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bought the bulbs from Mr JP and he's kindly sent me another at a discounted price.

Must of got some oil or dirt on the bulb somehow as i fitted them with gloves on :(

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Bought the bulbs from Mr JP and he's kindly sent me another at a discounted price.

Must of got some oil or dirt on the bulb somehow as i fitted them with gloves on :(
That's great .. But i have seen dozens blub installed with bare and dirty hands in my local garages.

Sent from Submarine

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Always fit mine without gloves and never had any issues. My cree bulbs from Mr jp fell to pieces

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts

Assuming you didn't have any issues with the previous OEM bulbs i.e no previous electrical issues. The new one's shouldn't just blow up after the first few days unless they're cheap/poor quality batch.

He should have sent you a replacement set for free, better still a refund so you can buy some branded bulbs :facepalm:

Buy cheap buy twice as they say :worms:

Reactions: Samsf

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Without taking the unit out and shaking it I'm not sure what would be best.

Be careful if you do try something like blu-tak or the like in case it leaves marks on the reflector.

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
If you can not get to take the headlight out and split it then id try using a piece of hose pipe connected to a hoover thats how i got a bulb out of my rear cluster when one fell out the holder.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright cheers for the suggestions guys gonna use the hosepipe/hoover trick this weekend. Hopefully the 2nd bulb works 100% ey haha.

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
So it's down to shoddy bulb quality then?

Well looks like Aqib has spoken so Mr JP's exploding bulbs no longer up to the job after supplying civinfo for 5 years with not another single case.

Jesus sometimes I wish common sense would occasionally make an appearance.

Now let's talk sensibly, a good few years ago I had a Philips bulb shatter on me due to accidently touching it with my hands.

Cooking of bulbs is very real and is irrelevant of how much you spent or the manufacturer of the bulbs.

Now, did this bulb explode like a bomb? Or are we getting too hung up on the word "explode".

There are too many variables, was it fitted correctly? Was it accidently compromised with grease from the hands or was it knocked against the body work, did Royal Mail kick it all the way to your letter box and weaken it? My problem is I have no bulb to be able to inspect therefore the OP could not return under warranty.

So I offered a replacement at below cost price, the OP felt this fair in the circumstances.

Freelanc3r, may I suggest before taking the opinion of my competitior on the site you view my feedback, and reviews within the thread itself.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts