2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a factory (supplied/dealer fit) tow bar on a new Civic recently? It seems there is misunderstanding as to how much the plastic rear valence needs to be cut. It is obvious to me it doesn't need to be cut at all on the vertical/visible surface and not for about an inch into the horizontal surface underneath. Dealer and Honda seem to be debating whether the official instructions for fitting (which seem to include cutting the visible surface) are still the same.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi FAL,
I have a honda towbar fitted by dealer and they did have to cut out the rear valence
about two inches long and one inch deep you can hardly see it even with the detached ball, on or off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My point is that they don't have to on the type of factory tow bar they are supplying now (non-removable hook). Why did they have to on yours? Does the hook clearly pass through where the visible edge of the rear valence would have been? This one does not, but either Honda or the dealer insist on wanting to cut the visible part using a template.
(I perhaps should make it clear that I have in the past fitted tow bars with my own hands to 3 or 4 different makes/models of car and I have built cars from a bare shell to finish an International Rally, so I am happy to tell them, not ask them, but I am alarmed their official instructions are blatantly wrong and involve butchering the car unnecessarily).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That seems to foul what would have been the valence but it is a different tow bar. The current removable hitch type most definitely does not but they are still claiming the official fitting instruction requires it to be cut. I'm annoyed at having to sort them out - it all costs time for the customer which, directly or indirectly, equals money.

The second electrical socket, for those not familiar, is for caravan internal electrics. Its not standard for towing - a trailer only requires the first socket.

·
Civic gone, not forgotten
2,092 Posts
I was told when I had my towbar fitted (non Honda) that if you had a twin bolt bar fitted, then the cut would be purely underneath, but for swan neck or removable bars then the visible face of the valance would have to be cut.

I have a Witter twin bolt bar fitted with an alko 50mm ball. I will post some pictures later (I have just taken some on my phone so the quality may not be brill)

·
Civic gone, not forgotten
2,092 Posts
Pictures as promised:

I think the alko cover matches the civic shape too!!! I have a slot in bumper protector for use when hitching up.

N.B. Make sure you keep the bumper bar for refitting if you wat to remove the towbar for resale.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have now had the entire rear valence replaced (for free, obviously) on a week old car. The dealer agrees the factory non-removable hitch tow bar did not require any cutting except from about an inch in underneath (and thus all effectively invisible). Honda UK have stiill not responded to me to confirm official fitting instructions (what a surprise...) so I'm still not sure whether Honda are issuing incorrect instructions to dealers or whether the dealer's mechanic screwed up and used removable hitch instructions for a non-removable hitch tow bar.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Tow Bar

I need to have a tow bar fitted on my 1.8se. I have rear parking sensors fitted in the bumper. The tow bar fitters say that I will have to have the removable ball type as otherwise the sensors will pick up the ball. The dealer said that the swan neck type will be OK, they send there cars to an independent fitter and are not done in there workshop? Is dedicated wiring very important or is the scotch lock type of fitting OK. Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Has anybody got prices as a comparison. I have been quoted prices varying between £285.00 - £520.00..!! :?

·
Banned
116 Posts
I had the dealer bar fitted on my Type S, you only need to cut a little slot in the bumper, and mount the sockets up behind the bumper. I've had the bar removed now, and i have fitted a Witter detatchable myself. The Honda/Westfalia bar works loose when you have a built in hitch stabiliser!

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I've got the Honda fixed swan neck on my Type S

They cut into the valance vertically and It really did'nt need to have been done.

The top surface of the bracket would probably have been resting against the underside edge of the valance,but if I was to have one fitted again,I would instruct them not to make a vertical cut

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fixed 7 pin £343 all in at Honda Gravesend, Detachable was £416.

At Horizon Honda (Bournemouth) it is £406 fixed, £440 det inc VAT/fitting.

Surely worth the extra to remove the ball when you're not towing so you're not banging your shin whenever you go near the boot?
I've been trying to find a towbar that least spoils the appearance of the rear - some of the flange types, although relatively cheap, look fairly gruesome.

Any more good ideas, please post asap!

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Thats why I ended up with the fixed bar-the detatachable's flange looked worse than having the fixed swaneck:(

The issue I have is that I have to be more carefull reverse parking so as not to ram the car behind

1 - 20 of 40 Posts