2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Thats why I ended up with the fixed bar-the detatachable's flange looked worse than having the fixed swaneck:(

The issue I have is that I have to be more carefull reverse parking so as not to ram the car behind
I agree, but does the the rear parking sensor still work ok when the trailer
is not on the back ?

·
Civic gone, not forgotten
2,092 Posts
Fixed 7 pin £343 all in at Honda Gravesend, Detachable was £416.

At Horizon Honda (Bournemouth) it is £406 fixed, £440 det inc VAT/fitting.

Surely worth the extra to remove the ball when you're not towing so you're not banging your shin whenever you go near the boot?
I've been trying to find a towbar that least spoils the appearance of the rear - some of the flange types, although relatively cheap, look fairly gruesome.

Any more good ideas, please post asap!
ntmason

Post 7 shows my twin bolt setup fitted at Trident Trailers Maidstone with the Alko ball fitted. IMO the shape of the Alko protector cover matches the Civic's triangles and covers the bolts up. I can't remember the exact price I paid, but I had twin electrics whicha re more than single electrics. When I had mine done June 07 there were in the region of £100 less than a main dealer fitted price.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
I agree, but does the the rear parking sensor still work ok when the trailer
is not on the back ?
Sorry,can't help you there-don't have the reversing sensors(it'd be handy if someone with sensors could place something up to the rear of the car where the swaneck would be and see what happens.Even better if someone has the fixed bar succesfully fitted with the sensors

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Sorry,can't help you there-don't have the reversing sensors(it'd be handy if someone with sensors could place something up to the rear of the car where the swaneck would be and see what happens.Even better if someone has the fixed bar successfully fitted with the sensors
Yep I'm still investigating all the options so still looking for any help here please.
Cheers to all those who have added comments so far.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Tow Bar Fitting

Sorry,can't help you there-don't have the reversing sensors(it'd be handy if someone with sensors could place something up to the rear of the car where the swaneck would be and see what happens.Even better if someone has the fixed bar successfully fitted with the sensors
Finally decided on the tow bar option to go for, thanks must go to Tanfield Ltd in Horsham for their help and fantastic service. I can confirm that my parking sensors are working perfectly with this fitting.
I went for the (Witter Fixed Tow Bar). Here are the photos showing the fitment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Finally decided on the tow bar option to go for, thanks must go to Tanfield Ltd in Horsham for their help and fantastic service. I can confirm that my parking sensors are working perfectly with this fitting.
I went for the (Witter Fixed Tow Bar). Here are the photos showing the fitment.
Nice post.Might go for some reverse sensors as well

·
2,092 Posts
Spaceman, do your sensors turn off when you attach anything to the electrics socket?

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Spaceman, do your sensors turn off when you attach anything to the electrics socket?
No they don't cut out but I don't see this as much of a problem, I only have a small trailer and tend not to reverse it that far anyway.
When nothing is hooked up they work just fine.
Forgot to mention the cost for this bar was £265.00 supplied and fitted.

·
2,092 Posts
No they don't cut out but I don't see this as much of a problem, I only have a small trailer and tend not to reverse it that far anyway.
When nothing is hooked up they work just fine.
Forgot to mention the cost for this bar was £265.00 supplied and fitted.
I use my towbar for a caravan and also a towball mounted bike rack, and I know what you mean about reversing with a small trailer - it is nigh on impossible!!!

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Thats why I ended up with the fixed bar-the detatachable's flange looked worse than having the fixed swaneck:(

The issue I have is that I have to be more carefull reverse parking so as not to ram the car behind
this is one of the best reasons for getting a tow bar, so that if you do happen to hit something behind your tow bar gets the impact and not your rear end :)

i would like to get a tow bar fitted to my ctr but cant bring myself to do it, i have 2 go-kart which i take the kids out with in the summer ut i just think a tow bar on a ctr is plain wrong and why i sold our caravan

·
2,092 Posts
this is one of the best reasons for getting a tow bar, so that if you do happen to hit something behind your tow bar gets the impact and not your rear end :)

i would like to get a tow bar fitted to my ctr but cant bring myself to do it, i have 2 go-kart which i take the kids out with in the summer ut i just think a tow bar on a ctr is plain wrong and why i sold our caravan
CTRs are not setup for a towbar.:( Honda have solved your dilemma for you.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Do Honda supply a trim cover, to ensure that when the cut has been made it can tidied up.

I have seen at least one manufacturer that does this when a cut is needed.
I may be wrong but I don't think so as the cuts vary depending on the type of bar you have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Factory Tow Bar - Type S GT

Am getting a Westfalia removable swan neck towbar with single 13 pin electrics fitted to my new (2008 model) Type S GT at Tow One Trailers in Hull at the end of March 2009 at a cost of £450. Had a long discussion with a Westfalia rep a couple of weeks back at the Caravan and Boat Show at the NEC. He was familiar with the issues relating to the Honda Civic and assured me that on the type of bar I wanted, the only cut required would be underneath the rear valance and not visible. I have confirmed this with the fitters who were also familiar with the issue.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Mine is a fixed flange type, made by Witter. Although this is quite a large fitting bar there is no perceptible cut in the bumper. If I want to remove the bar when I sell it, the cut will not show at all. This is part of the reason I went for this particular bar. By there very nature tow bars are not exactly attractive, so as I see it, even the detachable ones have large fittings when they are on. I for one can't be doing with more bits to take on and off.

·
2,092 Posts
Mine is a fixed flange type, made by Witter. Although this is quite a large fitting bar there is no perceptible cut in the bumper. If I want to remove the bar when I sell it, the cut will not show at all. This is part of the reason I went for this particular bar. By there very nature tow bars are not exactly attractive, so as I see it, even the detachable ones have large fittings when they are on. I for one can't be doing with more bits to take on and off.
If you want to remove the towbar when you sell the car, ensure you still have the original bumper crossmember to refit or you will be selling a seriously dangerous car.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts