2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate faded plastic trim, after living with it on my 8G I replaced the plastic arches on my 9g with painted ones shortly after getting it and am really glad I did, (see an earlier post for a picture if interested)

The plastic panels below the windscreen on the 9G have done the same thing so I'm trying an experiment and am prepared to buy new ones if it goes horribly wrong.

On the 8G arches I tried all sorts of chemicals with no permanent result, the best I could get them was to use a heat gun and kitchen scouring pad to remove the residue which made things bearable - almost.
I wondered if some of the problem is residue left from cleaning products containing wax and other crud that sticks to the grained finish so have tried applying Auto Finesse Revive using an old kitchen scourer in circular motions then wiping the residue off.

Although it is early days it seems to have made a difference, usually the dark appearance only lasts a few days but looking at the muck that came off I would say it's certainly done something, you can see the original colour at the edge of the washer jet hump, sadly I didn't take a picture before I started, you can see what came off on the old towel I used to wipe it with afterwards.

I will be giving it another going over over the holiday and will post an update.
Grille Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Rectangle
Skin Eyebrow Liquid Eye Eye liner

· Registered
2013 MK9 pre facelift 1.8 TI. Eibach springs and spacers. Michelin PS4’s. Always run on VPower fuel
381 Posts
I hate faded plastic trim, after living with it on my 8G I replaced the plastic arches on my 9g with painted ones shortly after getting it and am really glad I did, (see an earlier post for a picture if interested)

The plastic panels below the windscreen on the 9G have done the same thing so I'm trying an experiment and am prepared to buy new ones if it goes horribly wrong.

On the 8G arches I tried all sorts of chemicals with no permanent result, the best I could get them was to use a heat gun and kitchen scouring pad to remove the residue which made things bearable - almost.
I wondered if some of the problem is residue left from cleaning products containing wax and other crud that sticks to the grained finish so have tried applying Auto Finesse Revive using an old kitchen scourer in circular motions then wiping the residue off.

Although it is early days it seems to have made a difference, usually the dark appearance only lasts a few days but looking at the muck that came off I would say it's certainly done something, you can see the original colour at the edge of the washer jet hump, sadly I didn't take a picture before I started, you can see what came off on the old towel I used to wipe it with afterwards.

I will be giving it another going over over the holiday and will post an update.
View attachment 322776 View attachment 322777
My 9g suffers the same. I use back to black but it’s faded in a few weeks. My model came with colour coded arches and a big part of the reason I chose it as the faded “grey” doesn’t look good. I will try cleaning it first and then treating it. I use Poorboys white polish so I will try their trim stuff too.

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Any oil is the cheapest and best I've found!!

I've used flaxseed, olive and more recently just new engine oil. Wipe it on then buff off the excess.

Sure it isn't a permanent fix but reapplying every few months seems to do the trick for me and it costs next to nothing.

· Registered
175 Posts
Anyone know if the painted kit Honda supplies is the black ones simply painted or if its a different type of plastic?

I'd assume they are more of a smooth finish making the paint adhere more effectively

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.