2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I presume I'm like most civic owners that aren't lucky enough to have painted trim , I'm suffering faded plastic and I wondered what products give the best results. I've read loads on the internet from hot air gun to expensive oil things but in my opinion you can't beat honest reviews from people that use them.

So my question is what's the best for £20 budget and £30 budget.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Try Valetpro Black to the Future.

Has brought up all the black on my FN2 and Si, although they don't have that black trim all round.
Might take a few coats and leave it long enough to cure before buffing.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Did one of mine a few months back with a heatgun and it's still looking as good now as when I did it.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Keep hearing good things about Getchniq C4.
That's what I used on mine when I had it and it worked a treat. I also tried heatgunning that also worked.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try Valetpro Black to the Future.

Has brought up all the black on my FN2 and Si, although they don't have that black trim all round.

Might take a few coats and leave it long enough to cure before buffing.
I've bought some of this hopefully be here soon

May try the hot air gun 1st then use black to the future to maintain it

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
As an amateur-enthusiast detailer, I second Shaun's suggestion of Solution Finish. It will seem like a lot of money for a 30ml bottle I've used it myself and it's really good stuff. A tiny amount(like one drop) on an applicator spreads a long way and gives a proper black finish which lasts.

Whichever product you end up going with, don't forget that preparation is the key to success and you should aim to get whatever trim you're working on super clean before application of the product. You'll want to hit with a good quality degreaser and agitate with a brush of some kind to really loosen all the ingrained contamination. It'd probably also be worth going over the trim after that with an IPA wipe or similar, so ensure that there are no pre-existing coatings stopping the new product from penetrating the plastic.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all your advice , I will post up my results when done.

·
The D is for Dave
280 Posts
A note on Gtechniq C4, it comes off if you get tar remover (or anything with white spirit in) on it, so make sure you've done that first!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can vouch for Autoglym Bumper and Trim Gel: it made an instant improvement. It does fade, but very slowly and to nowhere near the fadedness before treatment. I have felt the need to reapply only once.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to say until my new stuff arrives I've used Maguire's tyre gel and it's brought the trim up a treat

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
but on Shaun endorsement im going to give Solution Finish a try, £16 off amazon
It's a really good product. Do be super careful handling the bottle though as it's very small and light so easy to drop with gloves on etc and you'll be sad when you do, trust me!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bench

·
Registered
38 Posts
I find that heat gun on plastic trims tends to make it look better for a bit, but over time it actually does more damage. Plastic is oil-based, so something designed for plastics is preferable and actually provides some protection.

If you want a cheap solution, smooth peanut butter works just as well, and whatever you have leftover can go in a sandwich afterwards. Just watch out for people with allergies.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts