2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys.

My 57 plate civic I-DSI 1.4 has developed a strange noise when the heater is set to either 1,2 or 3. It is a rattling/rumbling sound that seems to me to be from the motor itself or something loose attached to the motor. If I set the fan speed to high then it stops which is making me think it could be the vent or duct thats attached to the motor. I have heard dying fan motors before but this seems like something is loose and can sometimes be more noticable if taking a hard corner which again makes me think something is loose. This has slowly got worse over time, a few months ago it only done it slightly and only with the fan speed on very low but over time its appeared when running at faster fan speeds.

It's very annoying because in the summer I only want my blower on low but cant do it without this rumbling sound.

Any thoughts?

Also on an unrelated note I have wierd clicks while turning the steering wheel while the indicators are on, not the normal turn signal noise, but from the wheel itself, think it might be the little catches that turn the indicators back off. It started one day and has been there since.

·
I drive my Mistress...
874 Posts
Best bet on the weird fan noise would be to look under the hood while engine running with and without fan on to try to isolate area where noise originates. As far as the turning, it more than likely is the catches from the turn signal that turns it off. Try turning the wheel till you hear the clicking noise, then as soon as you hear it, turn the wheel opposite and if the signal turns itself off, then that is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also checked under the bonnet and the rumbling noise is not there, its deffo inside the car somewhere, sounds like its near the vent beneath the windscreen or behind the glove box. A loose duct perhaps?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also checked under the bonnet and the rumbling noise is not there, its deffo inside the car somewhere, sounds like its near the vent beneath the windscreen or behind the glove box. A loose duct perhaps?
Hi,

I've got 1.4 and the same noise. It's like a whispering from the middle vent and especially heard at low levels.
I had another noise from dashboard (You can find about that in related topics), as I understand it was because of some part of a/c system touching the glovebox. Dealer fixed it and for now (after half a day experience) that noise has gone but now a whispering noise from air vent (middle) coming. I don't know if it's related with the fixing job they did for the other noise but I've to take the car again because this noise more annoying than the former one :)

Hope yours will be fixed, too

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mine is getting a bit louder and deffo not a whisper but yeah thats how it started, just a quiet sound. Now it's rumbling. If you get yours fixed please let me know what they did as it's doing my head in, loving the car but this noise is annoying. Also mine is about 6 months out of warranty so the dealers would probably try to bend me over to fix it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Bump ! Mine just tarted rumbling horribly. It's almost the same loudness as you uld rev your engine when the fan is set to high speeds.

In my case this started a couple days ago when I parked my car to warm parking space in shopping mall. After I came back and started the car a small clunky sound and it started rumbling. I think something got lose and has stucked between the fan blades. The question is has anyone else fixed this ? I would like to take a look at it myself but I don't have a clue how to get to the fan motor and where it actually is (either than ofcourse inside the center console. So does anyoen have any info about that ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
To answer for myself he blower motor is located deep in the dashboard on drivers sde. Now I just need to figure out how in earth I can get it out from there. Theres gas pedal and steering column on the way. So it's not a very nice thing to do now at the winter :facepalm:. I may just buy a replacement blower motor so if it's wear problems I can swap it to new one at the same time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also got the strange noise recently when I started my car on a hot summer day. The air.con. kicked in and spun up to a full speed to get the interior temperature down.
The first thing that came up my mind that vent bushes/bearings have ceased but then I realised that I the round vent opening on driver's side was closed. As soon as I re-opened it the strange noise dissapeared immediately :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 1.4 06 Civic has started making the same noise. It's more noticeable at low revs, but it's quite annoying especially when the AC is on. It only does it when the fans are on - Has anyone ever figured out how to sort this issue or know where to start in terms of things to check over?

Thank you :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts