2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Ok so the Aircon has been up and running flawlessly since i had the condensor replaced on Wednesday. But i have noticed that the fan will now come on stay on for about 5-10 seconds then turn off, then it wll stay off for 30 seconds then come back on again for another 5-10 seconds then goes off again. It continually repeats this cycle.

Now i know the fans are supposed to stay on permantly until the ac is switched off, so does anyone know the likely culprit at work here?

Thanks

Jakey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Off-Road Nut!!!
303 Posts
Mine comes on and off when the climate control has reached the pre set temperature I have selected but not that often. :surprise:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine comes on and off when the climate control has reached the pre set temperature I have selected but not that often. :surprise:

Oh! Thats a point - i have had it on Auto - so maybe it does that everytime it adjusts the air temp.

I shall try non-Auto and see if it stops doing it!

Thanks @1066boy

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just out of shear interest pop the bonnet and when the fan cuts off look at the compressor wheel and see if the centre is still spinning or disengaging with the fan?

Ok will do.

Whats the diagnosis if it is or isnt?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, the clutch appears to work properly and the wheel only spins when the A/C button is pressed on, and stops when its pressed off.

The fans are already rotating, but are then given extra boost when the A/C comes on. They do noy stop rotating at all.

I tried it first in Auto mode, then with Auto off and fan speed on low med and high - still the rad fans do the on/off thing as originally described.

Now what does everyone think?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should say; the compressor wheel continues to spin and does not stop when the fans go on/off either.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The wheel yes but the end of the pulley with the bolts on it to ? If yes that's fine and the compressor is engaging . You say the fans are running constant all the time even without the a/c on , we are talking about radiator fan and not interior blower fan ?

Yes radiator fans they speed up when the ac button is pressed. And yes the pulley with the bolts on it...that starts and doesnt stop when the fans "slow down".

To me, its as if the system switches them off and on randomely. I say randomely because now that i have watched and studied what it does its not consistant 30 secs on 10 secs off as i originally posted....its more speradic and in-line with the train of thought that the Auto is regulating the air temp. But like i said it does it without the Auto function on and with normal controlled temp and internal fan-speed operation.

So i think like you do that the compressor is working fine, so this is something else at work here i think.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yes radiator fans they speed up when the ac button is pressed. And yes the pulley with the bolts on it...that starts and doesnt stop when the fans "slow down".

To me, its as if the system switches them off and on randomely. I say randomely because now that i have watched and studied what it does its not consistant 30 secs on 10 secs off as i originally posted....its more speradic and in-line with the train of thought that the Auto is regulating the air temp. But like i said it does it without the Auto function on and with normal controlled temp and internal fan-speed operation.

So i think like you do that the compressor is working fine, so this is something else at work here i think.

Have you got an infrared Thermometer or standard one to take a temp reading in a vent .
Is the gas fine , not been over filled ?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you got an infrared Thermometer or standard one to take a temp reading in a vent .

Is the gas fine , not been over filled ?

I dont have a thermometer unfortunately, but the temp is super-cold!

I will check pressure tommorow and update.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so i pressure checked the system and its well within limits on the guage so i called the mechanic and he seems to think that its normal. Im not convinced tbh, my mums Jazz for example doesnt do it and niether did my previous EP3 and EP2.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Could be a faulty relay

That is possible i suppose.

But it is the Mitsuba not the commonly failed Omron.

Thats not to say its not at fault.

Problem is when i pulled it out last time, i got ECU check message and Glowplug light constantly on so im a bit reluctant to do that.

·
Registered
437 Posts
That is possible i suppose.

But it is the Mitsuba not the commonly failed Omron.

Thats not to say its not at fault.

Problem is when i pulled it out last time, i got ECU check message and Glowplug light constantly on so im a bit reluctant to do that.

Really that's odd , not ever had they come up before when pulling that relay .

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Really that's odd , not ever had they come up before when pulling that relay .

Yeh it happens! There's another post on here where someone did exactly the same!

At the time id just bought the car and wasnt aware the condensor had a leak and just started trying to diagnose why the airon wasnt working. I just so happened to have it booked in at my mechanics a few days later for something else, and he put on his scanner machine and cleared the lights.

Im pretty sure if i pull it out it will spring them lights. I might try find the post again to see he worked out why they came on and what his resolution was for that....before i do pull it out again.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yeh it happens! There's another post on here where someone did exactly the same!

At the time id just bought the car and wasnt aware the condensor had a leak and just started trying to diagnose why the airon wasnt working. I just so happened to have it booked in at my mechanics a few days later for something else, and he put on his scanner machine and cleared the lights.

Im pretty sure if i pull it out it will spring them lights. I might try find the post again to see he worked out why they came on and what his resolution was for that....before i do pull it out again.

Yeah if you could find it I'd like to have a read through .

·
Registered
437 Posts
here: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electronics/368922-check-system.html

the thread goes off tangent and doesn't get resolved :-(
Yeah see what you mean with off topic, so basically my understanding when you pull that relay it logs a code as the system looses a link obviously made with the relay in place to the hvac display (heating ventilation and air con) and when you replace it doesn't clear , disconnect the negative battery terminal for 10 mins to clear it .

1 - 20 of 44 Posts