2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1645 Posts

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only owned my Civic for a couple of months and have already been busy with the spanners :)

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to the How To's, you're all stars.

New battery - my first AA call in years, ha!
Aircon relay - preventative
Drivers door handle trim loose - what a daft design
Satnav update
Handbrake rubber peeling underneath
OEM HID's, the N/S was flickering - ignitor busted, eBay
replaced HID's - thanks Mr JP
LED sidelight's - thanks Mr JP
EGR valve cleaned
Civinfo sticker - not fitted it yet tho

Tonight's little tweak will remove the charging cable chaos by the gear stick and take the strain off the naff standard 12v socket, pic's below.

I'm not sure if anyone else has already done this, but if they have then it must be a really good idea!

Oh and I desperately need to get the cracked/worn OEM gear knob replaced, I quite fancy a Momo Combat (ducks for cover)...

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Brakes overhauled

A couple of weekends ago I overhauled the EX brakes with MTEC grooved disc's, Mintex pads, 5.1 fluid and HEL braided lines. They are still bedding in but feel better already.

I don't like to miss an opportunity acquiring more tools so a set of flare spanners and a piston wind back kit were sourced.

The Mintex pads aren't the best but MTEC had them on offer with the disc's, so I figured they'd do for now.

The braided line connecting blocks were a royal PITA to change and took the majority of the time :facepalm: Got there in the end though.

Whilst working on around the front struts I noticed that my bump stops had dropped so they were forced back into position (for how long tho?). There's definitely a lot less bonging going on with the poor Civic suspension.

Oh and I've fitted my Civinfo sticker :p

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally got around to replacing the gawd awful standard gear knob - which was very worn before I tried sprucing it up with a lick of paint.

Oh and a drivers side mat bracket means that I no longer need to yank back the mat after jumping in. Small things make such a difference.

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks chaps. Ignore the typo in the title, like I did when proof reading! #blush

The braided lines were a reet hassle, the corrosion on the connecting blocks almost sunk me. But the blow torch saved the day, one the last union oddly.

Patience, have put the feelers out for arches. Will have a few bits to paint and I'm tempted to give that a try myself.

I treated the ol'gal to a wash'n'wax today. But guess she'll be grubby again when Grinspeed work their magic on Monday :)

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Stevie/Lee worked their magic today and my ol'gal is much improved.

A full service and genuine filters throughout have improved throttle response and removed the odd induction noise at 2.5k. MPG also seems better but it's a bit too early to know for sure. Happy days.

ARB bushes and a nip on the rear trailing arms have reduced the clunky a suspension, a bit. I think we'll discuss replacing the tired dampers at some point.

Other than tired tyres the ol'tractor looked in pretty good shape.

Grinspeed are top lads and come highly recommended, I wasn't disappointed. Thanks lads.

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fitted Eagle F1's (fronts) and the occasional clunk has gone, go figure - I thought it was a drop link on it's way out.

I hope to have cured another squeak by adding padding under the windscreen cowel trim, the original padding was dry and full of grit.

Fitted a pair of wanner69's fog light protectors, clear - yeah, a boring colour but functional!

Last job of the weekend was to re-fit the front bump stops, I glued the blighters in this time.

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, there's plenty of space in the back lower section of the center console.

There are loads a USB ports out there, for reference this is the 'set' I used at the time.

The 2 amp slot provides plenty of power for phones using GPS/high screen brightness/etc.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Good work mate. Same as mine (2.2 Sport) but mine is silver.

Like the charging ports idea [smilie=gt-happyup.:

What can you tell me about changing the igniter for the Hids? My driver side on flickers every so often.

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks.

Some folks have found changing the OEM bulb resolves the flicker, see Mr JP's thread.

However if you need to Change the igniter/ballast then the front bumper needs removing so you can get the headlight out. Unfortunately the electrics are bolted underneath the lamp, see here. There's a guide in the 'How To' section that explains all the steps.

Good luck.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks.

Some folks have found changing the OEM bulb resolves the flicker, see Mr JP's thread.

However if you need to Change the igniter/ballast then the front bumper needs removing so you can get the headlight out. Unfortunately the electrics are bolted underneath the lamp, see here. There's a guide in the 'How To' section that explains all the steps.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I may look into changing the bulb. Athough one thing that gets me is that it doesn't happen all the time. The bulb can be ok for a while then it starts flickering.

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine behaved the same, there's weird tech on these HID's.

Hopefully a new bulb will fix your issue on the cheap.

Otherwise you'll be trawling eBay for a ballast/igniter...

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We got our derv remapped yesterday at Celtic, initial impressions are great.

Chart;

She left a haze on the rollers which the engineer put down to a tired MAF. Is cleaning it likely to help or should we grab a new one?

Will report back once we've clocked up a few more miles.

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The stage 1 remap really has brought the ol'gal alive so I'm pleased with the results.

I'm still getting used to the power delivery and getting clean gear changes again, which is no doubt stressing the OEM clutch/DMF :rolleyes: I don't race around all the time, so fingers crossed that it holds up for a while yet (99k).

Over the weekend I popped off the MAF and MAP sensors and doused them in IPA. A quick test run and this seems to have cleared up the acceleration haze. They still looked grubby but I didn't want to damage them - I guess they might benefit from a change, does anyone have any experience here? Do I just do the MAF and see if it fixes hazing?

She still occasionally puffs on cold start-up, as it did this morning (cool and damp). Threads seem to indicate this isn't a major issue tho.

Oh and I forgot to report that I fitted a pair of wanner69's fog light protectors, in clear (boring but practical).

1 - 20 of 1645 Posts