2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
861 - 880 of 1645 Posts

· Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #861 ·
There is a slight issue with the LED volt meter, at night you catch it's reflection in the side window :facepalm2:

It'll do for now, will keep looking for something more appropriate.

Or maybe I'll add a momentary switch so the meter only illuminates when pressed, that'd be a fairly decent option.

· Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #862 ·
My clutch damper bypass hose arrived this morning, I've had a parcel a day this week :D

With some TOIL to burn I set to this afternoon and ripped out the damper

Hooking it all back up and Eezibleeding was a breeze, then it was time to test...

My gawd, I can now feel the diaphragm doing it's thing - there's a first in the Civic! The bite point jumped up from low to around half way.

Fire her up and the clutch feels much lighter, another positive.

The bite point was too high, so I lowered it at the CMC but it could probably do with going a bit lower. I'd raised it quite a bit after the clutch change anyhoo so going lower isn't a problem.

Are there any downsides? Yes, I now get judder in both 1st and reverse. I don't think this is a big problem as I managed a few decent starts, so it perhaps I just need to relearn the clutch? Allan commented that he had less judder after removing his damper, so go figure.

On the move, gear changes are lovely and slick again, both up and down the box.

Hurrah, let's hope this is the end to my clutch niggles :)

Thanks to Stewart at FreakyParts for supplying the hose and Allan for providing the inspiration :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #865 ·
Just like to say thanks for all the info sharing. Looks like I'm going down the damper bypass SMF route now.
Woohoo, +1 to our gang. Nice one.

The SMF will blow your tired old DMF into the weeds

I hope the damper removal keeps my clutch consistent now #nopressure

· Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #867 ·
Mine's been consistent for some time now ;) just wish my boost was as consistent… <.<

Good to see it's worked for you too ;)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Phew, thank gawd for that.

Thanks for the guidance, the results are t'riffic.

I dunno if you got my PM's re the hose fittings? Seems the braided line has some clever ends. Which Stu pointed out and I now see is clearly listed in the doco

Oh no not you as well, lots of cars seem afflicted by boost woes

· Premium Member
806 Posts
Phew, thank gawd for that.

Thanks for the guidance, the results are t'riffic.

I dunno if you got my PM's re the hose fittings? Seems the braided line has some clever ends. Which Stu pointed out and I now see is clearly listed in the doco

Oh no not you as well, lots of cars seem afflicted by boost woes
Nope... <.< definitely don't have any PM's :/ Aye ^_^ little bit different from the stock line ;)

Mine aren't too bad if I'm honest... WOT it's pretty stable at around 1.5 bar (which is a bit less than I want really)... But it does spike to about 2bar before settling on 1.5bar... It's the part throttle stuff that bugs me - it'll quite happily go well above 2bar (30psi) on part throttle...

The Mishimoto intercooler has made a positive difference though ;) Boost seems to build quicker and the intake air temperature is a lot less... It's also nice to know it will handle up to 40psi - where the old one only really recommended 20psi... <.< The only gripe I have is that I had to cut quite a bit of the bumper to fit it... Would've fitted in perfectly if I decided to get rid of the aircon -_-!

· Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #869 ·
Nope... <.< definitely don't have any PM's :/ Aye ^_^ little bit different from the stock line ;)

Mine aren't too bad if I'm honest... WOT it's pretty stable at around 1.5 bar (which is a bit less than I want really)... But it does spike to about 2bar before settling on 1.5bar... It's the part throttle stuff that bugs me - it'll quite happily go well above 2bar (30psi) on part throttle...

The Mishimoto intercooler has made a positive difference though ;) Boost seems to build quicker and the intake air temperature is a lot less... It's also nice to know it will handle up to 40psi - where the old one only really recommended 20psi... <.< The only gripe I have is that I had to cut quite a bit of the bumper to fit it... Would've fitted in perfectly if I decided to get rid of the aircon -_-!
Hmmm, I did wonder about the PM's. It seemed to go via Tapatalk PM's. Nay worries, at least I didn't bother you!!!

The new IC is more efficient and bigger then by the sound of it. Cool, haha.

Gotta love a good fiddle!

I hope you get it sorted pal. Big props for helping Mike and his Accord too #justsayin

· Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #870 · (Edited)
Some folks have been asking how to swap out the clutch damper, so I figured I'd outline what I did.

Disconnect both battery terminals, remove the battery restraining strap, remove the battery and plastic battery box

Unbolt the battery tray, 6 bolts.

Loosen the hose fittings to the back of the damper #33 and both ends of the flexi hose #24. Use flare spanners on hose fittings (10mm and 12mm need for the lines).

Remove OEM parts damper #33 with 2 bolts #41, remove hose jumper #32.

Remove the flexi hose #24 and it's two clips #36.

Connect Freaky's new braided hose to the solid lines #25 and #29, it will only fit one way ;)

Add grommets/cable ties to the new hose where it runs through #34 and #28.

Carefully nip up the new hose connections as they could compress the hard OEM lines if over tightened.

I then pressure bled the clutch with an Eezibleed kit, forcing fluid through from the clutch master cylinder. It's an 8mm flare spanner for the bleed nipple.

Test the clutch pedal with the engine off, you should now feel the diaphragm working :)

Test the clutch with the engine on, carefully.

The biting point on my pedal rose considerably and needed adjusting back down.

Once you start the job it then makes more sense, honest ;)

· Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #872 ·

· Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #874 ·
The final pair of CREE brake/sidelights fitted. MrJP also sent a couple of CREE's for the fronts.

I will try and take some comparison pic's, the CREE's look bright (even during daylight).

· Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #876 · (Edited)
Over the past few weeks I tried cleaning, refitting and thoroughly bleeding the clutch damper.

What a waste of time that turned out to be.

The clutch pedal has gone heavy with low bite again. The only upside is that it fixes the cold judder in 1st/reverse. I kept the braided line on this time too.

I've hardly driven it, but already hate how it feels. So the damper will be coming off again #sigh.

· Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #878 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear that, farqui. No idea what it could be, but I hope you get to the bottom of it soon! What clutch do you have fitted again, and could it be an issue with the kit?
Ta, the aftermarket clutch judder seems to be somewhat hit/miss.

I've a CC single and wanted to try and get all the wrinkles out of it.

TDiNorth didn't do a very good job with the hydraulic's on mine, that much is clear.

Once back on the damper bypass I had hoped that the 1st/reverse judder would subside. It kinda did seem to when I bypassed it the first time. Although that have been due to the weather?

Whilst researching clutch dampers I see that you can get numerous, small inline dampers with different ratings for Beemers, search for 'bmw cdv'. If we had a supply of these cheap, then it'd be worth trying to find one that works well with our aftermarket kits. But then you'd have thought our clutch suppliers would be better positioned to test 'em.

· Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #879 · (Edited)
861 - 880 of 1645 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.