2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

81 - 100 of 1645 Posts

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Sports grill ventilation

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Good work. Did you have to modify your grill it was it already open at the back?

I was under the impression the grills fitted to the manual cars were closed at the back, but the auto civics came with an open grill to allow for extra cooling.

I haven't checked mine yet, but if it needs opening up I will modify the back to allow air to flow through

·
Administrator
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Good work. Did you have to modify your grill it was it already open at the back?
Thanks.

Nope, the pic shows how the Sports grill arrived - open backed.

·
Administrator
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Cheers, just stuck a torch through my grill its closed backed so think it would be wise for me to open mine up.

Cheers for the info
You're welcome. I recall someone mentioning (Wardy?) that there are flash lines that effectively tell you where to cut.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
You're welcome. I recall someone mentioning (Wardy?) that there are flash lines that effectively tell you where to cut.
There are flash lines… Don't know who originally said it (I would vote for Relic), but it is easy to cut out and open it up ^_^

A dremel makes short work of it btw ;)

·
The D is for Dave
280 Posts
Excellent write up, definitely going to give this a go when the weather warns up. Question though, when you say

The fuel pressure rail was unbolted but left plumbed in, which meant the hard injector pipes were all removed

I don't quite understand, why did you have to remove the hard fuel lines if you left it plumbed in?

Also, my car is just over 8 years old, is it worth changing the glow plugs whilst I'm in there? (Probs a question for another thread but wth!)

·
Administrator
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
Thanks, its not a difficult job but it is fiddly and time consuming.

The hard fuel pipes need at least unbolting from the injectors. But this would then make the fuel rail more awkward to move. It kinda wriggles out from underneath the loom.

Instead I chose to unhook both ends and tuck them out of the way on the bench.

There's also a flexi bleed pipe at the end of the fuel rail that I left alone. I didn't like the look of the fitting (there doesn't seem to be one). If you unclip this pipe from its guide rail then it allows sufficient movement to flip the rail out of the way.

#3 in the this diagram;
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SMG601&block_02=E__3320&block_03=16539
It looks like its a push fit, hehe.

I see why you were confused now, soz.

When undoing the fuel lines, leave the car to stand for a while which will allow the pressure bleed off. Mine was stood for well over and hour and the pipes only dribbled a few drops of fuel. Wear safety goggles if you're unsure, we don't want you in A&E.

·
Administrator
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #92

·
Administrator
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
That's very magnanimous of you Farqs...;-)
Why thank you, how terribly benevolent of you :D

Or

Ta - fair's, fair and all that ;)

Hmmm, will I need to change the thread title to 'Farqui's FK3 Mod's, The Big Words Thread'.

·
Administrator
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Update after the decoke, I'm just back from a nicely varied drive/hack.

Pickup from low revs has definitely improved, acceleration is swifter across the range. She now hits the legal limit much more keenly, so much so that I'm starting to think about a brake upgrade :rolleyes:

A lighter throttle maintains a cruise, extra mpg lights confirm this.

Off throttle lifts are more noticeable, I guess due to the crisper fuel/air ratio.

Over a 45 mile drive, the MPG's are up, even though I was hoofin' it a bit more than usual. Admittedly it's a bit warmer today (7c), so this may have contributed. I have just filled up, so will report back with a tank to tank comparison.

Pre-decoke I reckon you needed more throttle inputs to get a reaction. Whereas now its much more responsive :)

If your car hasn't had a decoke then you should seriously contemplate it, especially you high mile-r's. For refernece, mine just flipped over 103k.

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts
Over a 45 mile drive, the MPG's are up, even though I was hoofin' it a bit more than usual. Admittedly it's a bit warmer today (7c), so this may have contributed. I have just filled up, so will report back with a tank to tank comparison.

Hoofin' it, carrying an extra 50kgs in your tank AND better mpg ? :D :D :D

Win, win, win ! Good man. ;-)

·
Administrator
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)
Ha, I gassed up when I was almost home. Now stop your nit pickin!

Yeah, all that work was defo worth it #phew

·
Administrator
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
There was 1 negative...faster pickup means more clutch slip!

So I'd best get the clutch updated, no more debating, its out with the CC

81 - 100 of 1645 Posts