2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
101 - 120 of 1645 Posts

· Stage 3 Hybrid
6,141 Posts
There was 1 negative...faster pickup means more clutch slip!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

...only if your clutch is OEM / knackered already ! [smilie=tongue.gif]

· Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
Nice ! :D

That's why I don't have heat issues with the FMIC. ;-)

Multi-tasking Farqs ?
Yeah, now the Sports grill is here I like it more and more. So I'm keen to get it bolted on. There's no denying it's an improvement over the OEM 'aquarium' grill (a great quote from a fellow Civinfo'r).

Hmmm, are you using your temp gauge (vague gauge) as a guide? Or data loggin'?

Me, multi taskin'? Now steady on. I take each job, one at a time, steady like. Then they are all done right ;-)

· Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 · (Edited)
I've removed my OEM SMIC and replaced it with a FMIC, topped off with a sports grill.

As I was pressed for time I didn't take any assembly pic's, but everything went together nicely. Thanks to various forums members who have done the hard work for us :)

The AAS swaged looks great and to be a bit different I mounted my FMIC from the top lugs. I haven't seen anyone else do it this way...

Now that the front bumper is on, I see that the FMIC kicks forward a little at the bottom. So I'll add a lower bracket at some point.

· Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 · (Edited)
Looking good Farqs, has taken a good few years off the old gal with the grille, and you'll love the FMIC. ;-)
Thanks, yeah I should have swapped the grill months ago, but didn't see a need.

With the FMIC she seems[\I] to warm up a bit quicker and temps are soon steady at 78/9c. The open grill will come into play during the summer.

Have had a couple more drives now and I think the map needs a tweak, she feels a tad rougher at idle/low revs. Did you find this?

Pulls like a loco when the hammer is down tho The 2,5k boost kick has evened out over the range.

· Stage 3 Hybrid
6,141 Posts
Thanks, yeah I should have swapped the grill months ago, but didn't see a need.

With the FMIC she seems[\I] to warm up a bit quicker and temps are soon steady at 78/9c. The open grill will come into play during the summer.

That's within a couple of degrees of mine, 80-81c last time I checked.

Have had a couple more drives now and I think the map needs a tweak, she feels a tad rougher at idle/low revs. Did you find this?
No bud, not at all.

Pulls like a loco when the hammer is down tho The 2,5k boost kick has evened out over the range.

I don't get that, either. Once the power comes in when the turbo starts, the delivery is as smooth as a baby's proverbial, climbing the north face of the Eiger.

And after the torque peaks @ 3k, the geegees take over. There's no "kick" or surge at any point in the rev range.

· Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 · (Edited)
Perhaps its just the turbo coming on boost then. Would be interesting to ride in someone else's, I'm not sure I can make next wkend Donny meet tho :( Mind you, my cars no looker, she's a reet 'battle bus'

I still have the smokey cold start (dammit) so perhaps I'll need that EGR delete Fahad suggested.

· big dog
1,133 Posts
Perhaps its just the turbo coming on boost then. Would be interesting to ride in someone else's, I'm not sure I can make next wkend Donny meet tho :( Mind you, my cars no looker, she's a reet 'battle bus'

I still have the smokey cold start (dammit) so perhaps I'll need that EGR delete Fahad suggested.

I found that in my stock map after the FMIC, the turbo was overboosting at around 2300rpm and then overcompensating. Reason is you add bit more air in the system (volume) with the FMIC and it needs couple of more seconds to deliver the boost to the manifold. So ECU sets the desired MAP but it takes a bit longer to deliver so ECU keeps asking for more MAP, and then when it hits it, the second waive comes bit too much and then overcompensate - kills the boost. In my stock graph i had a sharp torque peak because of it.

Then with the map got smoothed out ;)

BTW my water temps are 75-77 after the FMIC (i was stupid enough not to log mine before :( )

· Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Hi pesss, thanks for the info.

I had hoped to get my clutch uprated before getting it remapped. But the container is on a slow boat

· Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 · (Edited)
I wasn't happy with my mk1 FMIC mounts, so this afternoon I got grubby again.

Adding mounting plates for the upper hangers means the FMIC does pull forward as you nip them up.

I also added a lower bracket to help stabilise it completely. This gives me a bit more clearance to the front grill.

Before/after top mounts and lower brace;

I'm happy now

· Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Top man, me likey. ;-)

:congrats:
Cheers. That big lump-a-alloy isn't going to rattle now.

I'm getting quite quick taking the bumper off/on

I also tried taking the exhaust heat shield off, but after 2 awkward bolts I gave up. It's really, really tight back there. The windscreen is almost on the cam cover. If I had managed to get the shield out of the way, I would have struggled to see any cracks. Although I guess it may have been sooty.

· Stage 3 Hybrid
6,141 Posts
Leave the heat shield long enough and it will come off of it's own accord ! [smilie=holyshit.gi:

The ally is crap, and disintegrates around the mounting bolts. My rear one did. Fortunately my rear, (slightly reduced ;)), silencer is nowhere near the floor tray.

· Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Actually on the whole I have been quite impressed with the lack of corrosion. Other than the odd rusty but (ouch) the ol'tractor seems rot free.

You have a slim rear , an image that can't be undone! They do look like good 'zorsts you lot snaffled

2015, will that be the year of the group buy?

101 - 120 of 1645 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.