2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Fast road brake pads

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Negativvv 
#1 ·
I’ve checked and there are a lot of older threads but things change and move on. What are people’s recommendation for a fast road pad?

I’ve got good discs and running mintex pads but I want a little more bite. EBC are out as had nothing but bad reviews.

I just want something as above that can take a little more on the road, I’m not doing and track days.

What I am doing as well is flushing all the brake fluid and clutch fluids with ATE type 200 which replace the old highly rated super blue.
Checked my clutch fluid and it’s black!!

#3 ·
True, the disc are not oem tbh and they can take a much meatier pad the last set lasted 4 years so even if that halves with a harsher pad I’m happy with that. It’s just finding that balance of having a pad with instant bite as our climate is not suited to pads that need a good heat cycle on a journey before they sharpen up. Is all about mild/wet days and traffic so they need to be a good split

#4 ·
I find the ferodo ds2500 have a decent bite on pagid disc what ever the weather, little bit better than the OEM standards. Wished I had also change the rears even though they only brake 30%, pagid pads on the rears. Their not bad but I think they would bite harder if my brake peddle was firmer as it feels just a little spongy at the moment even though I have had my brakes bled around 1week ago.

#6 ·
They actually not that bad, I can stop a lot quicker than standard and have more faith in the set up I have fitted and stop hell of a lot quicker/sharper and don’t get as much brake fade. In fact I haven’t noticed that much with some pretty vigorous driving. I’m saying I don’t get any but the stopping power has vastly improved.

#8 ·
I’ve decided on my pads and an I’ve tried something different. Will share when they turn up lol.

I’ve got 2l of ATE fluid. Is that enough for brake and then clutch fluid flush? I heard if you use any more than 1.5 for the brake flush you are doing it wrong and the clutch holds a touch under 50ml

#9 ·
2l is fine, I used way less. Maybe even under 500ml to do the fronts. More isn't necessarily doing it wrong as you know the system is completely flushed if you put that much fluid through it.

Brake pad and disc discussions should always be tempered with the fact you're refreshing brakes anyway so any new pads etc are going to feel better than what came off the car.

#12 · (Edited)
Funny you say that….. after stating no to EBC I then took the time to look in to all the different ranges. Green were considered to be no better than oem and messy, and heard of lots of crumbling. Reds again I heard lots of horror stories. Then I looked in to yellow and always thought these were for track mainly and not good from cold. I stand corrected, they are indeed considered to be great from cold and can take a pounding. Lots of reviews and YouTube later this is what I went for. Got a set of fronts for 70 quid delivered next day. So not far of reds price wise

I also did the brake fluid flush and the clutch fluid. I only used max 1/4 bottle on the brake flush, the clutch took a lot longer to do and took the same if not more fluid, it was thick and black so with a much smaller res that needed lots of topping up. I def had new stuff running through on each calliper as could see the colour shift.

Turns out a actually had a fair bit of air in the system. I took the measure of fitting brand new bleed screws all around too with new caps.

I had a lot of deposits from the newish Mintex pads. Not sure what caused this but fitted a new fitting kit anyway. I’ll prob strip these new pads down and give them all a good clean after the red bed in coating is burned through.

#13 ·
Does anyone know of a way to dispose of the old stuff safely. My local recycling centres now don’t take brake fluid except once a year on an amnesty day. I can’t understand why they restrict this because it will encourage people to get rid in unsafe ways. Even if I had to pay a small fee I would so I knew it was done properly

#15 ·
EBC are so divisive, some have used them no issues and others have horror stories. Their products usually undercut the rivals...

There was a Brembo scandal awhile back which might be hearsay, in that loads of Brembo fakes found their way onto the market even for reputable suppliers. No idea how much truth is behind it.

If I need brakes and discs I'd probably go Pagid or Ferodo.

I've got a set of Performance Friction pads on my Alfa Romeo. No idea if they're sold for other brands and they are probably a track pad as they are no more than "ok" when cold but once some heat is in them they become pretty decent...

My local centre didn't seem to give a flying F, they said just pour it into the old oil vat. Went in with engine oil, gearbox oil, assorted used oils....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.