2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My Civic has just been diagnosed that it requires a new wiring loom to fix a permanently activated radiator fan. It comes on immediately the key is inserted before the car's started even when cold. :(

What worries me is that I only have the rest of this month in warranty and what with the Handbrake and fuel filler cap recalls in the past, I'm wondering if I speak with HUK about possibly getting an extension on the warranty. :?

Anyone had any success with this?

Regards

Marc

·
radix lecti
960 Posts
The specific repairs should be warrantied for longer than a month, but I doubt you'll get a warranty extension for the entire car.

Ergo if the rear window motor goes, it would be your concern, but if it is the permanently activated radiator fan then Honda would fix it.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
As your car has been diginosed with this issue before the warranty runs out then Honda still have a duty to fix this for you under warranty even if it takes them more than a month. I had this happen with a Mini, took 6 months for them to fix the issue after the warranty had expired but they still fixed it as it had been pointed out and diagnosed before the warranty expired.

I believe that the Honda warranty covers you for another 3 years and is rather cheap in comparison to some other cars out there where it can cost anything from £650 plus a year for an extended warranty. At least if you take the Honda one then you know that its being done by them with Genuine Honda parts and any issues the comeback is on them and not some independant garage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I believe that the Honda warranty covers you for another 3 years and is rather cheap in comparison to some other cars out there where it can cost anything from £650 plus a year for an extended warranty. At least if you take the Honda one then you know that its being done by them with Genuine Honda parts and any issues the comeback is on them and not some independant garage.

Not quite correct Angie, Honda Happiness Extended Guarantees are from 3 months to 48 months and with or without the roadside assist you have when the car is under manufacturers warranty.

Honda are doing a special offer on a 12 month policy with Assist at £250 instead of the retail price of £391 for qualifying cars under 5 years old.

Yes there are independent guarantees but they usually come with along list of what is covered whereas the Honda jobby says "All mechanical and Electrical items ........... (but you really need to read the terms and conditions). Don't forget also that third party guarantees have excesses, max claim limits - usually £500 or £1000, their own repairer network, non dealer labour rates and facilities, non Honda genuine parts in some cases, etc.

Not trying to paint a gloomy picture but you walk into a Honda dealer with a third party guarantee for work to be done and they will charge you and you will have to recover the costs.

As regards the OP first post, if the car is repaired under warranty then the warranty on that part expires when the warranty on the car runs out - whether it is 1 year or one day.

So Mark, in answer to your last question - speak to your dealer instead and take out a guarantee.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Might ring the dealer on that offer-got to be a bargain including the road side assist

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Not quite correct Angie, Honda Happiness Extended Guarantees are from 3 months to 48 months and with or without the roadside assist you have when the car is under manufacturers warranty.

Honda are doing a special offer on a 12 month policy with Assist at £250 instead of the retail price of £391 for qualifying cars under 5 years old.

Yes there are independent guarantees but they usually come with along list of what is covered whereas the Honda jobby says "All mechanical and Electrical items ........... (but you really need to read the terms and conditions). Don't forget also that third party guarantees have excesses, max claim limits - usually £500 or £1000, their own repairer network, non dealer labour rates and facilities, non Honda genuine parts in some cases, etc.

Not trying to paint a gloomy picture but you walk into a Honda dealer with a third party guarantee for work to be done and they will charge you and you will have to recover the costs.

As regards the OP first post, if the car is repaired under warranty then the warranty on that part expires when the warranty on the car runs out - whether it is 1 year or one day.

So Mark, in answer to your last question - speak to your dealer instead and take out a guarantee.
Hi Dave,

Where did you get the info about the special offer? I have just have word back from my local dealer (Benfield Stockton) and they say 12 months for £250 without assist breakdown?

I am unsure what to do, 12 months @ £250, or 48 months @ £450 (without assist), or, do not extend the warranty, save the money the warranty would of cost and see how it goes :confused:. To honest the car has had one item 'repaired' under warrany in so far (front bump stop), no other problems. Rattles aside I am pleased with the car, I guess it is like all warranties / insurances they are in effect a waste of money UNTIL you need to claim on them...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
What concerns me a little is the situation where these known issues with the Civic occur once the warranty has expired, and they will. There's going to be a good few diesels with slipping clutches after three years.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Where did you get the info about the special offer? I have just have word back from my local dealer (Benfield Stockton) and they say 12 months for £250 without assist breakdown?
It is 12 months with roadside assist and the policy starts "HDC".

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
It is 12 months with roadside assist and the policy starts "HDC".
Thanks, I'll go back to the dealer and ask, the policy details I have been provided with starts with "HF2". :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Well with mine about to run out in Apr think I shall have a word with my local dealer.

Cant understand why dealers are not advertising this offer ( or are they and ive missed it :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dealers do advertise most things but because of a general lack of time to get everything done in Service Reception on a daily basis some things just are not a priority, you could always ask though.
However most dealers send letters for next service & MOT reminders etc and are able to letter owners about guarantees.

Honda also letter owners about the guarantees and make you an offer of buy one and pay in 10 equal monthly instalments by direct debit, (these guarantees can only be purchased for whole years only), the £250 guarantee is not offered in the letter though.
I personally have only signed 2 up on that basis however I have signed up probably close to 300 extended guarantees for varying terms and enhancements where the owner has paid in full on invoice.

The £250, 12 month offer is an exceptionally good one for owners as it saves you approx £140 against the retail price of the same guarantee when it is not on an offer.
Unfortunately I have no idea when the offer will end.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all your replies.

Sounds like I should contact my dealer then - my warranty's up at the end of the month, but I haven't received any letter of offers yet.

I do a lot of motorway miles - car's done 68k now. I'm starting to worry that other issues may occur - I have the i-CDTI so slipping clutch springs to mind.

£250 for a year for warranty and breakdown cover might be a good option.

Cheers

Marc

1 - 19 of 19 Posts