2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I know there are a few threads about this but I would appreciate your input before I take the car into the dealers.

My car is a 2019 1.5 Sport. I bought it ex demo last June and it now has 8000 ish miles on the clock.
The air con stopped working on Tuesday, though I hadn't driven the car for about two weeks prior.
I called Honda customer service, and to be honest I wish I'd just beaten my head against a brick wall. It would have been less painful.
I called my local dealership to book it in and enquired if this would be covered under the warranty. They were quite helpful and, understandably, explained that until they see the car they couldn't say for sure but felt that unless a stone had punctured the condenser it should be covered.
I've read on here and other forums that there seems to be a known problem with the condensers on the 10th generation cars and a Technical Service Bulletin ( TSB-19-091 ) was issued due to manufacturing tolerance problems but this seems to only be valid in the USA and not Europe.
I've inspected my condenser and there is no sign of stone damage.
So my questions are: Has anyone else had air con problems in the UK and if so what were they and were they repaired under warranty? Also were Honda helpful in resolving the issue or did they try to push back claiming it wasn't a warranty issue.
As always, many thanks in advance.
Dave.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
If you go to the bugs and faults forum page and read through you’ll find all the information you need - there has also been some service bulletins attached by the wizard man

·
Registered
2020 Civic 1.5 sport
37 Posts
Had the condenser changed on mine recently as the air con wasn't blowing cold. When I took it in they said the condenser was leaking but didn't say why. I've got a warranty and it was done under that, although my local dealer did say condenser failure was common on the 10th gens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So my questions are: Has anyone else had air con problems in the UK and if so what were they and were they repaired under warranty?.
Just noticed (in the last week) that the aircon is dead on my 2019 1.0 - (so that's why it had stopped whistling!).

A recall notice for the Fuel Pump arrived this morning, so it's time to contact the dealer and get some of these things fixed. (Not exactly a wide choice of dealers in North Devon though, so we'll see how it goes)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2019 civic. A/C was not working when I purchased it new. Dealer changed condenser under warranty. Even after condenser change it would only cool air to 12 degrees.
This year, I regassed it myself with one of the kits you can buy on ebay. Now blowing air at 4 degrees.
Hope it lasts.
Have a look at the condenser yourself before you bring it to the dealer. If has been damaged by a stone it will not be covered. You should be able to see any damage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update on my situation.
Just collected my car after having a new condenser fitted and all completed under warranty. No Qustions.
Out of interest the report said " Vehicle is in VIN range covered by bulletin ST-09-002-05 "
I've tried to find this bulletin on line but no joy. Anyone have access to this?
Dave.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Nov 2020 Civic aircon stopped working sometime after last summer. Garage says condenser failure and have applied for warranty repair. Is it not time this fault was rectified. I owned 4 Accords over a period of 25 years, aircon never serviced and never had a problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Nov 2020 Civic aircon stopped working sometime after last summer.

I’m guessing this is a date error as if it was Nov 2020 it wouldn’t have been around last summer.
When was it made?
It would be interesting to know when Honda realised there was a problem and rectified it in production models.
dave

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a 2019 Civic, after the a/c stopped working the dealer did manage to replace the condenser under warranty. Just wish they could fix the whining noise it makes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a 2018 1.0L civic from a Renault dealership on HP finance as it was a trade in car. 17k miles when I got it, and when I tested the AC was not cool at all, but they regassed it and it was ice cold for a while. AC wasn't cold at all today when I used it.

Car is out of Honda warranty, but I believe the Renault dealership had a 3 month warranty that I'm still within. Should I take it back to have them regass it or is it a more serious problem with the condenser and should I ask them or Honda to replace it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you bring it to Honda and they find the problem is stone damage to your condenser they will charge you. (condenser is located just behind front bumper and can be damaged easily by a small stone etc)
I would suggest you bring it to the dealer you purchased it from and let them sort it out.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
I just bought a 2018 1.0L civic from a Renault dealership on HP finance as it was a trade in car. 17k miles when I got it, and when I tested the AC was not cool at all, but they regassed it and it was ice cold for a while. AC wasn't cold at all today when I used it.

Car is out of Honda warranty, but I believe the Renault dealership had a 3 month warranty that I'm still within. Should I take it back to have them regass it or is it a more serious problem with the condenser and should I ask them or Honda to replace it?
under the Consumer protection regs (2015) any fault occurring within 6 months of purchase is deemed to have been there at time of purchase, so is down to the dealer to fix. They have to prove that it wasn't faulty, you don't have to prove it was.
Go to Honestjohn.co.uk and search for consumer rights.

Dealers give these poxy little short warranties hoping that the customer doesn't know any better and/or try to sell a longer one to get themselves covered by the "insurance" that they've just made a commission on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
under the Consumer protection regs (2015) any fault occurring within 6 months of purchase is deemed to have been there at time of purchase, so is down to the dealer to fix. They have to prove that it wasn't faulty, you don't have to prove it was.
Go to Honestjohn.co.uk and search for consumer rights.

Dealers give these poxy little short warranties hoping that the customer doesn't know any better and/or try to sell a longer one to get themselves covered by the "insurance" that they've just made a commission on.
I'll call them tomorrow, and hopefully they're good enough to fix it for me properly. How should I go about it/what should I say if they're charging me to fix it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just a small update, took my car in to my local honda dealership and they had a look at the AC and reported that it needs a new condensers
as it's a known common issue for the civics (2018) and it will be replaced as warranty work.

So if you're having problems it's worth taking it in and checking.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Over the past week my Civic's air con has felt 'poor' but until today it wasn't very hot so I think I noticed how bad it is. There's 'some' level of cooling, but it's like 10% of what it should be. When I used to hold my hand in front of the vent when it was on full blast, it would feel very cold, now it's just 'a bit cooler'. I looked at the condenser under the bonnet with a torch and no visible 'stone damage'. Is this likely to be the known service bulletin issue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Over the past week my Civic's air con has felt 'poor' but until today it wasn't very hot so I think I noticed how bad it is. There's 'some' level of cooling, but it's like 10% of what it should be. When I used to hold my hand in front of the vent when it was on full blast, it would feel very cold, now it's just 'a bit cooler'. I looked at the condenser under the bonnet with a torch and no visible 'stone damage'. Is this likely to be the known service bulletin issue?
Stone damage to the condenser fins is fine I believe, and as long as there's no damage to the long horizontal pipes then I would call up your local Honda dealership and have them look at it and quote up the service bulletin issue. When I did, they seemed to know what I was talking about before I even finished explaining, and have took a look at it and have said the condenser needs replacing due to a leak and will be done under warranty even though my car is past the 3 year standard warranty.

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
507 Posts
It genuinely worries me how many people are having issues with their Aircon. I bought my FK8 a little over 2 months ago and I'm not sure if it's blowing cold enough.
When yours did work, was it freezing cold air? Mines blowing cool air (wouldn't say it's very cold). Sometimes when I'm at a red light or just stopped it blows only mildly cool so curious as to how cold these should actually get when working.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It genuinely worries me how many people are having issues with their Aircon. I bought my FK8 a little over 2 months ago and I'm not sure if it's blowing cold enough.
When yours did work, was it freezing cold air? Mines blowing cool air (wouldn't say it's very cold). Sometimes when I'm at a red light or just stopped it blows only mildly cool so curious as to how cold these should actually get when working.
I got my aircon regassed by the dealership 2 months ago, and it should be blowing arctic freezing air anything below 20C, even when you're stopped(assuming auto stop/start doesn't turn off the engine) but mine slowly got less cold in that period. I think it's normal for the AC to not be as cold over a period of 2-3 years, but if you had it regassed before that, then potentially there's a leak in the system that will need to be fixed. I think they check by adding a UV dye to the loop to check where the leaks are coming from.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts