2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a 2018 1.0L civic from a Renault dealership on HP finance as it was a trade in car. 17k miles when I got it, and when I tested the AC was not cool at all, but they regassed it and it was ice cold for a while. AC wasn't cold at all today when I used it.

Car is out of Honda warranty, but I believe the Renault dealership had a 3 month warranty that I'm still within. Should I take it back to have them regass it or is it a more serious problem with the condenser and should I ask them or Honda to replace it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
under the Consumer protection regs (2015) any fault occurring within 6 months of purchase is deemed to have been there at time of purchase, so is down to the dealer to fix. They have to prove that it wasn't faulty, you don't have to prove it was.
Go to Honestjohn.co.uk and search for consumer rights.

Dealers give these poxy little short warranties hoping that the customer doesn't know any better and/or try to sell a longer one to get themselves covered by the "insurance" that they've just made a commission on.
I'll call them tomorrow, and hopefully they're good enough to fix it for me properly. How should I go about it/what should I say if they're charging me to fix it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just a small update, took my car in to my local honda dealership and they had a look at the AC and reported that it needs a new condensers
as it's a known common issue for the civics (2018) and it will be replaced as warranty work.

So if you're having problems it's worth taking it in and checking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Over the past week my Civic's air con has felt 'poor' but until today it wasn't very hot so I think I noticed how bad it is. There's 'some' level of cooling, but it's like 10% of what it should be. When I used to hold my hand in front of the vent when it was on full blast, it would feel very cold, now it's just 'a bit cooler'. I looked at the condenser under the bonnet with a torch and no visible 'stone damage'. Is this likely to be the known service bulletin issue?
Stone damage to the condenser fins is fine I believe, and as long as there's no damage to the long horizontal pipes then I would call up your local Honda dealership and have them look at it and quote up the service bulletin issue. When I did, they seemed to know what I was talking about before I even finished explaining, and have took a look at it and have said the condenser needs replacing due to a leak and will be done under warranty even though my car is past the 3 year standard warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It genuinely worries me how many people are having issues with their Aircon. I bought my FK8 a little over 2 months ago and I'm not sure if it's blowing cold enough.
When yours did work, was it freezing cold air? Mines blowing cool air (wouldn't say it's very cold). Sometimes when I'm at a red light or just stopped it blows only mildly cool so curious as to how cold these should actually get when working.
I got my aircon regassed by the dealership 2 months ago, and it should be blowing arctic freezing air anything below 20C, even when you're stopped(assuming auto stop/start doesn't turn off the engine) but mine slowly got less cold in that period. I think it's normal for the AC to not be as cold over a period of 2-3 years, but if you had it regassed before that, then potentially there's a leak in the system that will need to be fixed. I think they check by adding a UV dye to the loop to check where the leaks are coming from.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mines definitely not blowing that cold and from the service records I don't see that it's ever been regassed in its nearly 4 years. I'll have to schedule a visit to Honda. Thanks mate 👍
If you've had your car for 4 years and now it's just blowing cool but now cold that could be normal. Mine was blowing warm air even on lowest setting.

From what I've read, its normal to see a loss of 10% of the AC gas annually. So your car might not have a problem and just require a normal regass which won't be free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts