2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
I got my aircon regassed by the dealership 2 months ago, and it should be blowing arctic freezing air anything below 20C, even when you're stopped(assuming auto stop/start doesn't turn off the engine) but mine slowly got less cold in that period. I think it's normal for the AC to not be as cold over a period of 2-3 years, but if you had it regassed before that, then potentially there's a leak in the system that will need to be fixed. I think they check by adding a UV dye to the loop to check where the leaks are coming from.
Mines definitely not blowing that cold and from the service records I don't see that it's ever been regassed in its nearly 4 years. I'll have to schedule a visit to Honda. Thanks mate 馃憤

Registered
Mines definitely not blowing that cold and from the service records I don't see that it's ever been regassed in its nearly 4 years. I'll have to schedule a visit to Honda. Thanks mate 馃憤
If you've had your car for 4 years and now it's just blowing cool but now cold that could be normal. Mine was blowing warm air even on lowest setting.

From what I've read, its normal to see a loss of 10% of the AC gas annually. So your car might not have a problem and just require a normal regass which won't be free.

Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
If you've had your car for 4 years and now it's just blowing cool but now cold that could be normal. Mine was blowing warm air even on lowest setting.

From what I've read, its normal to see a loss of 10% of the AC gas annually. So your car might not have a problem and just require a normal regass which won't be free.
I just recently bought it from Honda as a used approved vehicle, it has a fhsh but nothing about regassing. Hopefully it just needs that done and there's nothing wrong with it. It's somewhat alarming how many 10th gen owners have Aircon issues though!

Registered
I regassed my DTEC a few months ago. A/C set to Lo, recirc on and 75% fan speed, it blows air at 5 degrees from centre vents.

Registered
It genuinely worries me how many people are having issues with their Aircon. I bought my FK8 a little over 2 months ago and I'm not sure if it's blowing cold enough.
When yours did work, was it freezing cold air? Mines blowing cool air (wouldn't say it's very cold). Sometimes when I'm at a red light or just stopped it blows only mildly cool so curious as to how cold these should actually get when working.
I believe over time it's gone from very effective and very cold (if you hold your hand over one of the central vents) to almost none existent. It's not been very hot where I live until recently so would have noticed it more perhaps. I remember when I first bought the car (at 9 months old) compared to my 8th gen Civic the air con felt very powerful and effective, and importantly much quieter! My car is a 2018 and has done 24k miles. I'll let you know what my Honda dealer says.

Super Moderator
It genuinely worries me how many people are having issues with their Aircon. I bought my FK8 a little over 2 months ago and I'm not sure if it's blowing cold enough.
When yours did work, was it freezing cold air? Mines blowing cool air (wouldn't say it's very cold). Sometimes when I'm at a red light or just stopped it blows only mildly cool so curious as to how cold these should actually get when working.
should be blowing around 5C +/- on Lo, full fan and on recirc.

Registered
Well my car is booked in later this week. I can no longer actually speak to the service desk, I get a 'call centre' who straight away start down the route of 'you need your air conditioning re-gassed every 2 years'. NO I think this is a fault young lady!

Registered
Is there any copy or Service Bulletin number I can refer to when I take my car in? I do detect that they'll be treating this is 'just another regas' so want to be well armed. If it was a regas I don't think the drop in performance would be so fast (a matter of weeks). It suggests refrigerant leak, possibly due to this condenser issue. Christ this has been the most unreliable car I've ever had.

Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
Is there any copy or Service Bulletin number I can refer to when I take my car in? I do detect that they'll be treating this is 'just another regas' so want to be well armed. If it was a regas I don't think the drop in performance would be so fast (a matter of weeks). It suggests refrigerant leak, possibly due to this condenser issue. Christ this has been the most unreliable car I've ever had.
If you do find a copy of the service bulletin I'd love one too, just incase my dealership tries to go down the same route. I'll have a look and see if I can find it

Registered
I followed up my 'call centre appointment booking' by phoning the dealership and asking to speak to someone in service, when they ask is it to book your car in I said no it's a technical enquiry. I then got through to someone that straight away pulled up my details, and after explaining to them the symptoms advised me approximate times to diagnose (about an hour tops), then they'll order the condenser which usually takes a week, then 2-3 hours to fit. I've got his name, so I will ensure I speak to him when the car goes in! We shouldn't have to 'protect our wallets' from sales hungry dealerships. I'm not sure what other manufacturers dealerships are like, but I really am done with Honda after this. It's spent the best part of 2 months in the dealership, excluding servicing, since I bought it (2.5 years ago). It's 'great' that there's warranty, but christ how long have Honda made cars for, and the amount of 'bugs' with the 10th gen Civic is poor to say the least. If it was a 'first gen Tesla' I could forgive them, they should know better.

Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
I followed up my 'call centre appointment booking' by phoning the dealership and asking to speak to someone in service, when they ask is it to book your car in I said no it's a technical enquiry. I then got through to someone that straight away pulled up my details, and after explaining to them the symptoms advised me approximate times to diagnose (about an hour tops), then they'll order the condenser which usually takes a week, then 2-3 hours to fit. I've got his name, so I will ensure I speak to him when the car goes in! We shouldn't have to 'protect our wallets' from sales hungry dealerships. I'm not sure what other manufacturers dealerships are like, but I really am done with Honda after this. It's spent the best part of 2 months in the dealership, excluding servicing, since I bought it (2.5 years ago). It's 'great' that there's warranty, but christ how long have Honda made cars for, and the amount of 'bugs' with the 10th gen Civic is poor to say the least. If it was a 'first gen Tesla' I could forgive them, they should know better.
Sounds like you're well prepared mate. I know the feeling and trust me while your experience isnt acceptable it's still far better than with some other manufacturers. I've owned a VW and Mercedes, VW dealerships seem like they couldn't care less about fixing anything and Mercedes wanted to charge me ludicrous money for even basic things (how does 拢750 for a basic oil and filter change sound? 馃槅)

Honestly the best thing is to find a good caring and honest garage and go there, I'm super lucky I've found a mechanic that genuinely cares and charges such honest prices for the work.
The only reason I'm going to Honda is because I've got a 4 year extended warranty but for anything out of warranty or after the 4 years I'll be going to my local garage. I find that most dealerships are unfortunately crap.

Let us know how you get on and if everything goes smoothly 馃憤

Registered
How much does it cost for a condenser? I had my car regassed and sanitised last year and it was dead within 48 hours, I complained to the garage and they informed me it was fine when it left the garage.

Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
How much does it cost for a condenser? I had my car regassed and sanitised last year and it was dead within 48 hours, I complained to the garage and they informed me it was fine when it left the garage.
Not sure how much it would cost to replace my FK8 condenser but I did replace the condenser in my FN2 at a local garage with a non OEM part and I believe if I remember correctly it was 拢150 without labour, or somewhere in that range I think. Did it over a year ago and its still blowing freezing cold air. Mine was hit one too many times with rocks and was leaky.
Sounds like your garage was talking a load of sh!t mate

Registered
Took my Civic in today, and after 40 minutes of diagnosis it was confirmed that the condenser was at fault, and that Honda had extended the warranty period on this item.

It goes in for replacement in two weeks time.

Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
Took my Civic in today, and after 40 minutes of diagnosis it was confirmed that the condenser was at fault, and that Honda had extended the warranty period on this item.

It goes in for replacement in two weeks time.
Oh boy, another warranty claim for these condensers! Is there any explanation as to why they seem to all be failing so soon? Does it simply leak?
It's really unlike Honda to have such an issue like this

Registered
Oh boy, another warranty claim for these condensers! Is there any explanation as to why they seem to all be failing so soon? Does it simply leak?
It's really unlike Honda to have such an issue like this
I used to think 'Honda didn't have issues like anything', but this car has completely undone that reputation in my experience. From what I understand on reading various posts on the internet, the condenser is a part made by a third party, and they were made to an insufficient standard so over time the refrigerant corrodes through the walls of the condenser, leaking out all it.

There's mixed stories as well as to whether a Honda dealership 'admits' the fault is covered by an extended Honda warranty on the component. My initial contact led to me being sold an air conditioning re-gas! If I didn't know a little bit about cars, I would have gone along with it, then paid for a regas, no doubt to find the issue return very quickly.

Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
I used to think 'Honda didn't have issues like anything', but this car has completely undone that reputation in my experience. From what I understand on reading various posts on the internet, the condenser is a part made by a third party, and they were made to an insufficient standard so over time the refrigerant corrodes through the walls of the condenser, leaking out all it.

There's mixed stories as well as to whether a Honda dealership 'admits' the fault is covered by an extended Honda warranty on the component. My initial contact led to me being sold an air conditioning re-gas! If I didn't know a little bit about cars, I would have gone along with it, then paid for a regas, no doubt to find the issue return very quickly.
It's definitely a shame and hard to understand how they could have made such a mistake. Remind me again, was your Aircon blowing lukewarm air or was it still blowing somewhat cool air?
I've booked mine in for next week and I want to make sure if it is the condenser that I won't simply pay for a regass that won't solve anything. Trying to prepare myself as much as possible lol, I hate dealing with dealerships, the car is only three and a half years old.

Registered
It's definitely a shame and hard to understand how they could have made such a mistake. Remind me again, was your Aircon blowing lukewarm air or was it still blowing somewhat cool air?
I've booked mine in for next week and I want to make sure if it is the condenser that I won't simply pay for a regass that won't solve anything. Trying to prepare myself as much as possible lol, I hate dealing with dealerships, the car is only three and a half years old.
Mine is blowing cool, slightly on the middle vents, and room temperature on the side vents.

If you perhaps say you鈥檙e aware that there鈥檚 a known issue with the condenser leaking refrigerant, and ask whether that could that be checked? It should highlight your not someone to be 鈥榮old鈥 too. There is a Honda procedure where they fill the aircon system with refrigerant that contains an ultra violet die, then they activate the system and visually check for it escaping.

In my experience even after years of use with expected normal use, refrigerant escapes. But even then your air conditioning will be effective, certainly not from 100% to 10% (or less) in the space of a few months.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts