2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,118 Posts
Mine is blowing cool, slightly on the middle vents, and room temperature on the side vents.

If you perhaps say you’re aware that there’s a known issue with the condenser leaking refrigerant, and ask whether that could that be checked? It should highlight your not someone to be ‘sold’ too. There is a Honda procedure where they fill the aircon system with refrigerant that contains an ultra violet die, then they activate the system and visually check for it escaping.

In my experience even after years of use with expected normal use, refrigerant escapes. But even then your air conditioning will be effective, certainly not from 100% to 10% (or less) in the space of a few months.
Cheers mate, I'll make sure to say that to them when I go 👍 I'm just hoping it's a simple regass although all the cars I've owned in the past never needed one after 3 or so years and with all the issues I'm reading I wouldn't be surprised if it was the condenser. I'll just have to wait and see!

·
**R-0571**
268 Posts
My 2018 Type R has been booked in for a new condenser under warranty after it was diagnosed during it’s third service.
I was told by the service department that a new bulletin came out in June regarding the condensers in this model and it looks as if Honda are now extending the warranty on these condensers for 10 years from date of manufacture, similar to what is happening in America. The only problem is the condensers are on back order such are the number of replacements on order. I have not been able to find out if they have changed the materials of manufacture but I believe the latest refrigerant that is used is very corrosive, hence the reason why these condensers are failing.

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,118 Posts
My 2018 Type R has been booked in for a new condenser under warranty after it was diagnosed during it’s third service.
I was told by the service department that a new bulletin came out in June regarding the condensers in this model and it looks as if Honda are now extending the warranty on these condensers for 10 years from date of manufacture, similar to what is happening in America. The only problem is the condensers are on back order such are the number of replacements on order. I have not been able to find out if they have changed the materials of manufacture but I believe the latest refrigerant that is used is very corrosive, hence the reason why these condensers are failing.
If the refrigerant is corrosive then I'd worry how long the entire AC system will be like in years to come :oops:

·
**R-0571**
268 Posts
As far as I understand it the condensers are made by a third party and the problem is that the material used to make the tubes in the original condensers is not up to the job. I also have seen a report that the latest refrigerant that is used in Hondas, which I believe is called 1234y is more corrosive than the previous type used. Honda in America have actually admitted this and sent out letters to owners of all affected cars and they only specify that it is only the tubes in the condensers that is affected. I do not understand why Honda UK have not done the same as all civics at that time were built in Swindon. Obviously Air Con is used more in America and a lot of owners in this country would only find that they had a problem during a hot spell which we do not get very often.

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,118 Posts
As far as I understand it the condensers are made by a third party and the problem is that the material used to make the tubes in the original condensers is not up to the job. I also have seen a report that the latest refrigerant that is used in Hondas, which I believe is called 1234y is more corrosive than the previous type used. Honda in America have actually admitted this and sent out letters to owners of all affected cars and they only specify that it is only the tubes in the condensers that is affected. I do not understand why Honda UK have not done the same as all civics at that time were built in Swindon. Obviously Air Con is used more in America and a lot of owners in this country would only find that they had a problem during a hot spell which we do not get very often.
Completely agree, even with mine I only noticed when we had days in excess of 24 Celsius. I've got an appointment with Honda soon and will have them check it out, already told them I'm aware of the condenser issues.

I've found that Honda in the US seems to be more on the ball with admitting issues and getting them fixed. Seen many instances where Honda UK will just flat out ignore problems and refuse to admit issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I contacted Honda last week to ask them if the warranty on the condensers had been extended in the UK and got this reply.

"Thank you for contacting Honda UK.

We are sorry to learn about the situation with the condenser on your 2019 Civic.

The warranty for the condenser has not been extended in the UK market.

Thank you for your understanding.

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Kind Regards,

Julian Antov
Honda Customer Service “

So it seems there is some doubt as to whether the warranty has been extended or not here in the UK, but it seems the answer at the present time is NO.

Dave.

·
**R-0571**
268 Posts
When I reported my situation in my previous post I was told by my dealer that Honda had just issued a bulletin regarding the situation with the condensers and he actually had a Civic in the workshop which was out of warranty but a warranty claim had been approved due to the fact that Honda are apparently extending the warranty on the affected condensers to 10 years. The actual wording was “3 years + 7 years extension from the date of manufacture. My car is booked in this Thursday for the condenser replacement under warranty (2018 Type R). I will speak to the service department and see if I can get this Bulletin number which I believe was issued in June this year.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 2017 sport is booked in on 23rd August for a warranty claim on a replacement condenser and corroded rad hose which all in is costing me £160 for hose and coolant change. I was told my car was within the bulletin vin numbers. It's taken 8 weeks to source the parts so it's fingers crossed

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,118 Posts
When I reported my situation in my previous post I was told by my dealer that Honda had just issued a bulletin regarding the situation with the condensers and he actually had a Civic in the workshop which was out of warranty but a warranty claim had been approved due to the fact that Honda are apparently extending the warranty on the affected condensers to 10 years. The actual wording was “3 years + 7 years extension from the date of manufacture. My car is booked in this Thursday for the condenser replacement under warranty (2018 Type R). I will speak to the service department and see if I can get this Bulletin number which I believe was issued in June this year.
My 67 plate type R is also going in for this exact issue. Luckily the dealership already knew all about the condenser issues and at least have given me the impression that if it is then they'll cover it under warranty. He was already talking about the wait time for new condensers so hopefully shouldn't be an issue.

If you do find that bulletin, please do share it mate. Could help a few people on here. Seems like not every dealership in the UK is honoring this warranty.

·
**R-0571**
268 Posts
I believe what they do is a leak test using a liquid with an ultraviolet dye to see if there are any leaks. It is actually the condenser tubes that apparently fail and the only way they can get out of warranty replacement is if you have a situation were a stone or similar has caused the damage to the condenser and in that case they will charge you for the repair including the cost of the investigation and all materials used.
I believe this could be very costly as a re-gas itself is about £80, condenser about £350 plus hourly rate for the job, so you are probably looking at £550/£600 minimum. I actually thought this warranty only covered 2018 cars within a VIN number range but I could be wrong.
Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,118 Posts
I believe what they do is a leak test using a liquid with an ultraviolet dye to see if there are any leaks. It is actually the condenser tubes that apparently fail and the only way they can get out of warranty replacement is if you have a situation were a stone or similar has caused the damage to the condenser and in that case they will charge you for the repair including the cost of the investigation and all materials used.
I believe this could be very costly as a re-gas itself is about £80, condenser about £350 plus hourly rate for the job, so you are probably looking at £550/£600 minimum. I actually thought this warranty only covered 2018 cars within a VIN number range but I could be wrong.
Let us know how you get on.
Now I'm worried 🤣 But it's going in this Friday so I'll update you guys how it goes!

·
**R-0571**
268 Posts
Just got back from the Honda dealer after the fitted my replacement condenser.
Unfortunately when I asked for the bulletin number issued in June by Honda regarding the Air Con Condensers they said that it was an internal document and they were not permitted to give me that information. On the up side they did tell me that initially only a few cars with certain VIN numbers were included in this warranty but now all Hondas are covered.
I also found out that they are replacing like for like condensers which in my opinion is ridiculous as some cars have had multiple replacements under warranty.
One other thing that I was told that Honda have issued a directive that all used car warranties in future do not include the condensers.
Finally I asked about the warranty on my new condenser and I was told that is covered for 10 years I.e. 3 years manufacturers warranty + another 7 years, similar to what happened in America.
If an upgraded condenser is sourced by Honda in the future it will get a new part number but for now we are stuck with like for like.
I do not think Honda are doing themselves any favours and I was also informed that Toyotas have the same problem as they use the same manufacturer as Honda for their condensers.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Sounds like they need to bin the manufacturer of these poorly made parts, it's not doing Hondas reputation any good and with such a small market share and limited range of cars I can't think of the appeal any longer, for me it could be bye bye Honda I won't be coming back

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,118 Posts
Hi, just wondered how you got on?
I can confirm Honda are replacing like for like as I checked the lable on my newly fitted condenser and it is identical apart from the manufacture date.
Dave
Well Honda confirmed it needed a new condenser and that it would be replaced under warranty. Unfortunately I was also told this could take a while as there's a backlog of cases. I'm waiting for a phone call from them regarding dates.

That's really not ok if they're just putting the same defective condensers back in....so it will just happen again in a few years? 🤔

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,118 Posts
Just got back from the Honda dealer after the fitted my replacement condenser.
Unfortunately when I asked for the bulletin number issued in June by Honda regarding the Air Con Condensers they said that it was an internal document and they were not permitted to give me that information. On the up side they did tell me that initially only a few cars with certain VIN numbers were included in this warranty but now all Hondas are covered.
I also found out that they are replacing like for like condensers which in my opinion is ridiculous as some cars have had multiple replacements under warranty.
One other thing that I was told that Honda have issued a directive that all used car warranties in future do not include the condensers.
Finally I asked about the warranty on my new condenser and I was told that is covered for 10 years I.e. 3 years manufacturers warranty + another 7 years, similar to what happened in America.
If an upgraded condenser is sourced by Honda in the future it will get a new part number but for now we are stuck with like for like.
I do not think Honda are doing themselves any favours and I was also informed that Toyotas have the same problem as they use the same manufacturer as Honda for their condensers.
Pretty much confirmed my fears, so it basically means that we will all be back at some point with another failed condenser :mad: that means possibly within a year or two.
I'm wondering if there's aftermarket condensers out there that are better than OEM. I might end up just paying a bit more and getting something better instead of continually going back to Honda for new condensers, that's ridiculous. Whoever is making these decisions at Honda should really get sacked.
Cheers for the update though mate 👍

I really don't think Honda give a stuff about their customers anymore

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Well these recent issues sure feel like it...how stupid does one have to be to replace one defective part with THE SAME defective part?! My FN2's condenser lasted 13 years before replacement, and it only needed to be replaced due to stone chips and not from a defect. My FK8 isn't even 4 years old and needs a new one, and will probably continue needing new ones every few years!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Hi, just wondered how you got on?
I can confirm Honda are replacing like for like as I checked the lable on my newly fitted condenser and it is identical apart from the manufacture date.
Dave
Firstly I must apolagise, seems I was talking rubbish. Not for the first time I hear you say.
I emailed my local Honda agent this morning ( note agent not main dealer ) to ask for some clarification after they had replaced my condenser in June. They phoned me back within the hour for a chat and to sort things out.
Seems the new condenser was not " like for like " as I said above, but a newer version.
On comparing the label on the new and old condenser again, the part number is indeed different. The old part number was TBC-A011-M1 and the new one is TBC-A020-M1 which is apparently not subject to the faulty manufacturing process of the originals. Should have gone to SpecSavers. My bad, as they say in todays modern parlance.
I then asked about the extended warranty and the service bulletin issued in June. He wasn't totally sure but his understanding of the service bulletin was that the original condensers ( TBC-A011-M1 ) has had the warrant extended to 10 years ( 3 + 7 ) but the new condensers, because they have rectified the manufacturing faults, were not covered beyond the normal warranty. Seems a bit odd but I can kind of understand the thinking.
I was very impressed with the garage in question for their rapid call back, and what seemed like clear and honest answers.

Dave.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts