2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
Firstly I must apolagise, seems I was talking rubbish. Not for the first time I hear you say.
I emailed my local Honda agent this morning ( note agent not main dealer ) to ask for some clarification after they had replaced my condenser in June. They phoned me back within the hour for a chat and to sort things out.
Seems the new condenser was not " like for like " as I said above, but a newer version.
On comparing the label on the new and old condenser again, the part number is indeed different. The old part number was TBC-A011-M1 and the new one is TBC-A020-M1 which is apparently not subject to the faulty manufacturing process of the originals. Should have gone to SpecSavers. My bad, as they say in todays modern parlance.
I then asked about the extended warranty and the service bulletin issued in June. He wasn't totally sure but his understanding of the service bulletin was that the original condensers ( TBC-A011-M1 ) has had the warrant extended to 10 years ( 3 + 7 ) but the new condensers, because they have rectified the manufacturing faults, were not covered beyond the normal warranty. Seems a bit odd but I can kind of understand the thinking.
I was very impressed with the garage in question for their rapid call back, and what seemed like clear and honest answers.

Dave.
No worries mate and thanks for clarifying and explaining it more in depth 馃憤 at least this (hopefully) won't be a recurring problem!
Im glad it's an updated part, means I'll sleep better at night once mine is replaced soon 馃槅
Cheers bud!

**R-0571**
I have had a quick look at the original part number you quoted on the Honda parts uk website for the condenser and I cannot find the old part no. that you are quoting.
What kind of warranty did you get with the new condenser (12 months). I think I would prefer the 3+7 to be honest.
I was under the impression that the only thing that has changed from previous models of Civics is the actual gas which is more corrosive . That said are the new condensers proven not to corrode as the old ones did. I was categorically told last week when my car was in that Honda had not sourced another condenser to replace the original and it was a like for like replacement, hence the 3+7 years warranty. If I was in your situation I would clarify the warranty on your condenser as they will give you a standard 12 month warranty for a replacement part. If your condenser fails after 12 months you will be out of pocket.
Someone on here last week was told that Honda UK were not extending the warranty on the condensers. There appears to be a lot of confusion regarding these condensers.

Premium Member
I don't think the condensers here are the only concern, apparently over in the States they have had compressor failures too, they could be pretty expensive to replace. In my opinion I would like to see Honda come clean and admit there have been some problems and just warrant the whole AC system for 10 years. The benefit of that is increased consumer confidence that would help stem the decline in sales and may actually help increase them, no doubt a decision like this would gain major coverage in the motoring press similar to that of Toyota's a month or so ago.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
I don't think the condensers here are the only concern, apparently over in the States they have had compressor failures too, they could be pretty expensive to replace. In my opinion I would like to see Honda come clean and admit there have been some problems and just warrant the whole AC system for 10 years. The benefit of that is increased consumer confidence that would help stem the decline in sales and may actually help increase them, no doubt a decision like this would gain major coverage in the motoring press similar to that of Toyota's a month or so ago.

Apparently they have quite a few more issues in the states, I've seen many complain of water getting behind the seals and and causing corrosion around the spark plugs!

Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
Thats on the Type R via the bonnet scoop as far as I am aware and doesn't affect the 1.5

Ahh yes I should have specified that, I thankfully checked on mine and it was okay but I've noticed the bonnet scoop does let a lot of water in. Not the best design really

Premium Member
If you ask me there are many flaws in the 10 gen design, I would expect them from from fledgling car manufacturers but not from the likes of Honda

Registered
2020 Civic 1.5 sport
So I had my condenser replaced last year, and had the system regassed. Air con was cold for quite a while, including up to about a month ago. Went to use it this week with it being hot and noticed it wasn't as cold.

The passenger side and left hand centre vent seemed colder than the centre right vent and drivers vent. Rang my local dealer up and asked if the air con should have decreased that much in just over a year so they asked me to drop it round.

I took it in yesterday and they measured the temp of each vent and had 4 different temperatures, did a leak test with the dye and they couldn't see where it was leaking from.

As a result they've asked to have it for 2 days so they can strip it down and find the leak. Luckily, even though it's out of warranty it's covered due to the condenser being replaced, one of the service guys said that condensers are covered for 10 years.

Registered
So I had my condenser replaced last year, and had the system regassed. Air con was cold for quite a while, including up to about a month ago. Went to use it this week with it being hot and noticed it wasn't as cold.

The passenger side and left hand centre vent seemed colder than the centre right vent and drivers vent. Rang my local dealer up and asked if the air con should have decreased that much in just over a year so they asked me to drop it round.

I took it in yesterday and they measured the temp of each vent and had 4 different temperatures, did a leak test with the dye and they couldn't see where it was leaking from.

As a result they've asked to have it for 2 days so they can strip it down and find the leak. Luckily, even though it's out of warranty it's covered due to the condenser being replaced, one of the service guys said that condensers are covered for 10 years.
Hope you get it sorted mate, Those were the symptoms I had and also a hissing sound so I had a new condenser fitted on Thursday on my 2020 1.5. Not good for less than 2 years old. They also took some paint off the bumper when re fitting it.
It will be interesting to find out where you leak is, but good news about the 10 year warranty :)

Registered
2020 Civic 1.5 sport
Hope you get it sorted mate, Those were the symptoms I had and also a hissing sound so I had a new condenser fitted on Thursday on my 2020 1.5. Not good for less than 2 years old. They also took some paint off the bumper when re fitting it.
It will be interesting to find out where you leak is, but good news about the 10 year warranty :)
Yeah, I can evisage getting the condenser done every couple of years or so, which isn't a problem if it costs nothing if covered.

Will see what they say when it goes in next week.

Registered
2020 Civic 1.5 sport
So my car is in today to be stripped down to find the source of my air con leak. I'm hoping they find it early in the day so it's ready for tomorrow as they've given me a hybrid jazz courtesy car and I hate it 馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
I had my car in to Lincoln Honda 2 weeks ago, agreed there was a leak, could not find it, so put a dye in it and told me to drive it with air con on.
Went in yesterday to confirm it was the condenser again, that was changed 2 years ago, and also had the HP pipe changed a year ago, now saying that might have been condenser as well.
They fitted a modified condenser yesterday, so 2 years ago, they fitted the faulty condenser with the same faulty item.
Lets see how long this lasts !

Registered
My AC has been leaking all the time. Condenser is changed. I went to another repair shop, because Honda could not find where it was leaking. The new repair shop figured out that the high pressure service port was leaking. Maybe it has been leaking all since the car was new. When looking for a leak, the equipment is connected to the service ports. So you have to be smart to check the service ports itself.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts