2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*** Update - Car issue has now been resolved by Honda ***

(N.B. I did try a search of forums for ‘fuel pump’ although I couldn’t find much in the way of relevant threads, although it helps having opinions anyway on unique circumstances)

Hello, my name is Simon. First time poster who drives a Focus ST. But for this particular matter, I’m acting on behalf of a family member. They currently own a 2006 Honda Civic 2.2CDTi. The new-shape Civic, and normal trim, not Type-S. It was purchased 2nd hand, but obviously being so new, maintained the standard 3-year Warranty.

Anyway, it’s recently been discovered to have an issue to do with the Fuel Pump, which has become faulty. It’s just over 3 years old and has done 50,000 miles. Car has always been dealer-serviced at the appropriate intervals and generally looked after well, while in their possession. The first indication of a problem was ‘glowing plug light’ (Their words, not mine, so not sure what this refers to, dash/ecu light?). Anyway they have since found this out to be a secondary fault, arising from a faulty fuel pump. The car is now 7 weeks out of Warranty, but Honda were aware of the issue 16 hours outside of the warranty period (I’m assuming that’s when the light came on and they took it to Honda first). The car was also serviced and MOT’d without issue the week beforehand (When the car was in Warranty). Any ideas on roughly how long the fuel pump would have lasted in this 'damaged' state before becoming faulty?

They are currently trying to sort out this issue with Honda UK as I speak. They’ve been told that a new replacement fuel pump will be required. They (and I to some extent) are just wondering whether this is true? They’ve been quoted a figure of £1700+vat (And I believe labour to fit etc.) to replace it, which obviously isn’t a small sum, assuming Honda won’t treat it as as warranty/recall job. We are both very surprised that this should happen to a relatively new car. And even more so, a Honda, which In my experiences have been pretty bullet-proof cars as of late. Certainly their engines etc. Is this normal? Should a fuel pump be failing on a barely 3-year old car? My 2004 Citroen C2 GT had no major issues like this whatsoever, and that was a £10k French tin, not a vastly-superior Japanese car in a higher segment. In fact out of the various Toyotas, Citroens, Fords, Seats and BMWs that our families have owned over the past 15 years, we’ve never had any car with something as potentially expensive as that to fix, especially on something so young. Is this a common occurrence? Any people with prior experiences relating to this same fuel pump issue?

I’m aware of a recall that was made regarding faulty fuel pumps for Civics between 2nd May 2006 and 28th June 2006, and indeed, fuel pumps seem to have accounted for many recalls across Honda’s range, in many different countries. They did want to try and identify when the car was manufactured, to see if it fell within this time period. Am I right in assuming the only way to find this out is via the VIN number and asking Honda directly to check the details from that? Seeing as it only lists the model year in the number. But it does seem likely that it might require this recall (Although whether Honda are just neglecting to mention this, to try and make some money, being out of warranty now, I don't know :S). I should also mention, that to my knowledge from having spoken to them in the past, this car has also had the ‘Rear-lenses misting up’ issue and the well-documented handbrake issue, both of which had to be resolved by Honda. Is it likely that the problem being identified so soon after the warranty expiring (As well as MOT and Service being carried out shortly before without issue) leaves some room to manuever for Honda carrying out the work as warranty-work?

Sorry to write so much, and indeed all the questions, but it’s not the best news for them to now have to deal with, especially after other issues, so I’d like to be able to help them in some way if possible (Aside from getting them to buy me an RS and letting them have my ST :D) Any help would be greatly appreciated, thankyou for your time if you made it this far. Greatly value any help with this matter.

Regards

Simon

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Can't say it is a commonly known fault.

I found this, but it relates to petrol cars only as far as I can tell.

Glowing plug light is probably the diesel preheat coil light.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
If the car failed just 14 hours after purchase, as you say, then it has to be the dealers responsibility to fix it free of charge, accept nothing less. Personally, I would be pushing for my money back.
£1700 to replace a fuel pump sounds unbelievable.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
If the car failed just 14 hours after purchase, as you say, then it has to be the dealers responsibility to fix it free of charge, accept nothing less. Personally, I would be pushing for my money back.
£1700 to replace a fuel pump sounds unbelievable.
who said it failed 14 hours after purchase :confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NoNumpty - Thanks, I got her to check the VIN on the Honda website, but apparently it said no recalls.

pcr - Car was registered/1st owner purchased in September 06. Family member purchased it in 2007 I believe. Essentially 2 years of warranty during their ownership. A week before warranty expired, MOT/Service was needed, both done, no issues arise. The day the warranty has expired, they notice an issue with the car (The 'fault' light coming on) so they take it to their Honda dealer who detects the fault and diagnoses it coming from faulty fuel Pump. It's now been about 7 weeks since that. From what they said, the car basically cuts out from this issue, so its with Honda atm.

So surely if Honda were made aware of the issue so soon, it should still be on some grounds for having the work carried out under Warranty? Yes, by the letter of the law it's outside of the warranty, but we're talking hours here. And should a fuel pump really be 'expiring' so soon? Is it classed as a 'consumable' or should it have an expected 'lifetime'? I personally doubt very much something reportedly costing £1700+ to fix would need to be replaced every 3 years. And as I said, they do maintain/treat the car properly, so I can't see how they've abused it (i.e. They don't run the car to bone-dry fuel tank). For the light to come on 16 hours after warranty expires, it must have been deteriorating for some time before that? In the warranty period.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Have they used that Bio-diesel you can get from Morrisons - it's no good for the Civic

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NoNumpty - They just use standard diesel I believe :)

Just got an update from them actually this second as I'm replying to you. Apparently Honda have actually carried out the work under Warranty, which I'm relieved about. So hopefully that should be the end of that. Appreciate people taking the time to respond.

Will have a look on the rest of the site for anything else they might want to look over, although combined with this, the handbrake and the rear light lenses, I'm hoping thats all the bad luck they're going to receive with this car. But if anyone knows of any other known issues that might want to be checked out, then I'll obviously pass any information on.

Thankyou once again :)

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Good news - well done Honda [smilie=gt-happyup.:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aye, from what i've been told, Honda have always been really helpful when they've had to deal with them. A shame more manufacturers aren't like them when it comes to customer service. I can't say it's been 100% smooth sailing with Ford for my car, but credit due to the dealer I purchased from, the guy did go out of his way to resolve early issues.

Thankyou again :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts