2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving back from Brum last night and decided i have found my favorite stretch of road to really compliment the Civics grunt and handling. The on-slip to the M6 southboud at Castle Bromwich, a couple of twists, a straight bit and a nice up hill climb, just got to hope the M6 ain't solid when you get to the top. If it is the brakes aren't bad either :lol:

Anyone else got a few corners that they always look forward to driving?

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
I did a trip from Pwllheli across to the M50 Ross on Wye which had some interesting twists and turns. I was driving a Metro GTI at the time.

·
..with Superchips please!
336 Posts
B3347 from Ringwood to Christchurch - country road with lovely mixture of bends, the drawbacks are some 40mph limits!

A82 from Bridge of Orchy to Glencoe - awesome road through some of the finest scenery anywhere...(it'll be even better when they finish the roadworks!)

Local road/A92 from Stainforth to Halton Gill in Yorkshire Dales - mind the sheep!

Unclassified road from Tornapress to Applecross, West Scotland - not for the nervous! (narrow, twisty, big roadside drops, and just hope you don't meet an 'artic' coming the other way - I did!)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
We were near Batemans House (Rudyard Kipling's House) in West Sussex last weekend out Geocaching, and the drive back home took us on a stretch of the A265 called Haremere Hill. it was only a stretch about 1/2 a mile long, but it was national speed limit on a nice well made, wide country road up a steep hill with a series of left and right tight turns in succession. Accelerating out of them up hill with the v-tec whining up to 6,500 rpm was superb. It put the biggest smile on my face! The mrs quite enjoyed it, too!

The Focus behind was trying his best to keep up, but bless it's cotton socks, it didn't have a chance!

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
A82 again (Glasgow - Loch Ness), fantastic scenery.

·
336 Posts
kevin_lufc said:
A82 again (Glasgow - Loch Ness), fantastic scenery.
Apart from the stretch alongside Loch Lomond I'm assuming?? I always seem to be behind an overloaded tourist who doesn't use his mirrors and obviously feels comfortable and safe doing 28mph..... :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
can I vote for either the track at Castle Combe (fantastic fun), or the long straight at Bruntingthorpe (150 mph+ on the clock) ? :twisted: :twisted:

failing that, the A470 over the Brecons is good - lots of twisty bits, but open so you can see what's coming most of the time, and great views to boot :D

·
336 Posts
TTDegs said:
can I vote for either the track at Castle Combe (fantastic fun), or the long straight at Bruntingthorpe (150 mph+ on the clock) ? :twisted: :twisted:

failing that, the A470 over the Brecons is good - lots of twisty bits, but open so you can see what's coming most of the time, and great views to boot :D
'ang on a mo'! We can't have circuits can we?? If we can:- Thruxton and Brands short circuit!

I agree with the A470 though - Yahooo..!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
The A537 (Cat and Fiddle) through Macclesfield, it's not a fast road really (National limit but too twisty to dare) but amazing views and feels like a rally track.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
TTDegs said:

Have you taken your rocket ship to a track already? If so, how'd you get on? What are the regs and insurance requirements?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Bungle said:
TTDegs said:

Have you taken your rocket ship to a track already? If so, how'd you get on? What are the regs and insurance requirements?
nope, not yet :(

Was in my previous life with the TT, on a few events we organised for TT owners only

Without wanting to get too far off topic :wink:
Regs for most circuit track days are pretty lax - generally car has to be road legal and not too loud.
Insurance is not mandatory, but your own normal insurance will NOT cover you for the track
Track day insurance is available from a few places, and costs run (from memory) from about £80 upwards

Less of an issue if doing an 'Owners only' day as you all know each other and are less likely to do something stupid.

Brunters was a different kettle of fish - we were looking at doing our annual TTOC event there, so went along for a look.
The owner took us round the track in his BMW then had to clear off to a meeting.
'Have a drive round in your TT and let me know' where his parting words! :shock:

Well - it would have been rude not to really! :twisted:

Sorry, back on track (or on road, more to the point) now :D

A470 - where Top Gear do a lot of their filming (not that I've ever seen them, but recognised some of the corners - and the sheep :wink:)

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
TTDegs said:
A470 - where Top Gear do a lot of their filming (not that I've ever seen them, but recognised some of the corners - and the sheep :wink:)
Whoa Cardiff & Sheep [smilie=noeyedear-s: :lol:

·
Registered
105 Posts
generationgav said:
The A537 (Cat and Fiddle) through Macclesfield, it's not a fast road really (National limit but too twisty to dare) but amazing views and feels like a rally track.
Agreed - my local favourite. Sadly, they've put a 50mph on the Macclesfield side now. They're trying to slow the bikers down - they come in their hundreds every weekend. I'm afraid there are always bunches of flowers somewhere along it. :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
A32 from Meonstoke to West Meon, then A272 from West Meon to Petersfield in Hants used to be good (every Sunday you get dozens of bikers roraing along there). Unfortunately it's not quite as good now as the road is getting very worn in places, but a good mixture of fast bits, winding bits up and down hill, etc. 8)

·
336 Posts
The Doctor said:
A32 from Meonstoke to West Meon, then A272 from West Meon to Petersfield in Hants used to be good (every Sunday you get dozens of bikers roraing along there). Unfortunately it's not quite as good now as the road is getting very worn in places, but a good mixture of fast bits, winding bits up and down hill, etc. 8)

Agreed! I went through there at 1.30am-ish 9 days ago and I had forgotten how enjoyable the stretch was! :lol:

·
Registered
63 Posts
My favourite has to be the A686 from the A69 at Haydon Bridge (Northumberland), over the top of the North Pennines via Alston to Penrith. I once did it in my Alfa 156 on a beautiful (and quiet) afternoon. Beautiful wooded A roads, winding hillside hairpins, and an aching jaw from all the grinning. Definitely a trip where you should switch off the radio and listen to the engine, while keeping an eye on the rev counter and the scenery (and of course the road)!

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts