2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else watched this on Top Gear? James May did the test drive, best way to put people off!

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
I think the FCX Clarity is a ground breaking car, and also looked quite good I thought.

However, the problem with hydrogen as they started to point out, is that, whilst it's the most abundant element in the universe it has to be extracted from a raw material (i.e. sea water or something), which takes energy to do this, so unless nuclear is used to do this, rather than fossil fuels its kind of looses its benefits; I suppose they could hydrogen supplied electricity to do it, but if it uses about the same amount to make it as it produces then we don't win there either!

·
Administrator
19,178 Posts
I personally thought that for TG it was a very informative and useful review. At the end of the day we have to do something, and if that means Hydrogen is the way forward in the short term, then hydrogen powered equipment could be used to mine ( or whatever) the thing.

Whether we like it or not, we have to do something and that's that! It comes down to the fact that Oil is finite and so alternative resources need to be found.

THe car looked pretty good too!

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts
When we start running out of oil we still have the "oil sands" which are starting to be used I think
It would cost too much to start changing the infrastructure to accomodate Hydrogen cars

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
I don't believe any amount of dosh, is too much to spend on saving the planet. We don't have anything else to live on.
Ford, GM etc etc etc, should be told -- here are the handouts, now get your asses in gear and make a start on true eco vehicles now, or we let you all go bust.
We always find the money to go war.

·
Administrator
19,178 Posts
I don't believe any amount of dosh, is too much to spend on saving the planet. We don't have anything else to live on.
Ford, GM etc etc etc, should be told -- here are the handouts, now get your asses in gear and make a start on true eco vehicles now, or we let you all go bust.
We always find the money to go war.
I agree with the sentiment, here, JTL. Oil in it's present form we are told is finite and the cost of drilling for more is astronomical so what is the difference in investing in new forms of fuel? It's always going to be a lot of money whatever we do.

We either begin changing now and look at all the options or, we wait until the proverbial hits the fan and then panic - let's change this for once and get ready for it!

·
Registered
114 Posts
We'd pull out of iraq pretty soon thats for sure ;) Ok, enough politics!

This is an amazingly awsome idea since the clarity is as good as any other car like it run on petrol, only problem is wont the cars be REAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY explosive?
[smilie=gunhappyyan:
:S

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love the car and wouldn't mine one.

But when May first tested the Civic alot of people said it put them off having one almost like a jinx, and he might do that to the Clarity.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We'd pull out of iraq pretty soon thats for sure ;) Ok, enough politics!

This is an amazingly awsome idea since the clarity is as good as any other car like it run on petrol, only problem is wont the cars be REAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY explosive?
[smilie=gunhappyyan:
:S[/quote]

My friend had the exact same question, but we pointed out (as May made clear) that although it is Hydrogen, it is liquid hydrogen. We also said it's not like people aren't already driving round with cars filled with gas (LPG) or for the most part Petrol, which although doesn't explode as spectacularly as hollywood and Casualty (comedy!) would make you believe, it still burns like crazy!

I'd be interested to know if anyone knows how they keep it from exploding though, i might do some googling to look at the LPG way too!

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
I THINK ITS GREAT..
LENO WAS RIGHT!
if we want to be able to hear a v8 growl/burble...
the vtec whine...
a turbo whistle..
a straight 6....
the 5 valve per cylinder ferrari noise..
or any truly...awesome...car music in the future..
we need to preserve what oil we have left..

where is the fun when we drive..and you wont hear anything..
how boring that is going to be..
honestly..
utterly ruin everything for the rev hungry, petrol heads that we are

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Also it was good to see a proper electric sports car in the Tesla thrash a pretty quick Lotus.
Electric motors are the way to go.
Terry

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
They never told us the price tho?

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
you can't buy the clarity - it is only available to lease in california
at a fixed monthly rate at the end of the lease the car goes back to honda

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,178 Posts
hydrogen is the way forward. we need to forget about oil now and look at something different. if this had a small premium over a diesel engine then i would buy one.

instead of investing billions into a car maker whos going to be bust this time next year invest it in the new technology which has a future, and now is as good as time as any.

less than 12 months ago mr brown wanted to price us all of the roads, now he wants to use the tax payer yet again to save the car. there are fields full of new cars, reduce the price and they will sell, people do have money, but its a case of giving them a good deal to get there money. we have been ripped off by car dealers for long enough, now they are paying the price.

mr brown wont like hydrogen power as he wont get no road tax from it. but im sure he will bring in a water tax which is what it produces.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts