2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions as a friend and I are going to install FD2 cams. They are drop in, but do you need special tools to install them?
Also we say there some kind of gasket or rubber thingy that sticks out of the valvecover. Is that a gasket you need to change?

Or there other things needed I don't think about?

Regards

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Best to leave it to a seasoned pro mate if your unsure as cams are pretty important, bolts need torqued to specific amounts etc and valve clearances set in a particular fashion,

Thats the rocker gasket that your talking about for the sake of a few quid its best to change it, there i also a few spots on the gasket to add blobs of insta gasket, but you can see where these were originally done from the factory.

As you correctly say these are proper drop in cams and for a good garage/ Tuner to fit its only a labour charge, id imagine about 4-6 hours :)

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the valve clearances and my mate is a mecanic. 4-6 hours is longer than I expected.

I'll order the rocker gasket!

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
I know the valve clearances and my mate is a mecanic. 4-6 hours is longer than I expected.

I'll order the rocker gasket!
no need to change it mate its a waste of money.

valve clearance is not the issue but the timing adjustment,get a k20 service manual from ebay, it's very cheap and do it right;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yes, that should do it. Chris, are you going to use your OEM timing chain tensioner again? Perhaps now is the time to update to an aftermarket TCT for ease of mind.

As mentioned before, you can reuse the valve cover gasket, but scrape off the Hondabond first thoroughly before applying new gasket sealer here and there to prevent leaks. Clean the mating surfaces with alcohol to get rid of oil and dirt.

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
I personally wouldn't upgrade the tensioner.

It is overkill for FD2 cams it simply isn't needed. Plus with an aftermarket tensioner you are increasing the likelyhood of premature wear on the chain and subsequently guides.

I've been told by a well known (not vit) US tuner that he runs stock tensioners on 1000HP drag cars. They work fine, but they do change them out every season to be sure they don't fail.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let's see what the manual says about the tentioner as there are different opinions about changing it.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
when I changed cams my tuner reccomended a stock one, merely to save down time if my stock one was worn.

came out looking brand new though at 37k

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts